#1The Sound of Music at Lincoln Center
Posted: 8/10/23 at 2:49pm

This will be the next Bart Sher production in the Beaumont. Great idea I think

Updated On: 8/10/23 at 02:49 PM

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#2The Sound of Music at Lincoln Center
Posted: 8/10/23 at 2:58pm

Dolly80 said: "This will be the next Bart Sher production in the Beaumont. Great idea I think"

Where is this news coming from?

A.J.
#3The Sound of Music at Lincoln Center
Posted: 8/10/23 at 3:03pm

“Gospel, funk, soul, and Afrobeat come together in The Sound of (Black) Music, a reimagining of the beloved Rogers and Hammerstein score by Michael Mwenso and Jono Gasparro in Alice Tully Hall (Nov 9)”. 

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Lincoln-Center-Sets-Exciting-FallWinter-Season-with-US-Premiere-New-York-Premieres-More-20230810

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#4The Sound of Music at Lincoln Center
Posted: 8/10/23 at 3:10pm

bdn223 said: "Dolly80 said: "This will be the next Bart Sher production in the Beaumont. Great idea I think"

"

I think they’re misinterpreting this headline. It’s actually going to be a reimagining of the sound of music:

“On November 9, the sounds of gospel, funk, soul, and Afrobeat will come together for The Sound of (Black) Music, a reimagining of the beloved Rodgers and Hammerstein score by Michael Mwenso and Jono Gasparro.”

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 8/10/23 at 03:10 PM

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#5The Sound of Music at Lincoln Center
Posted: 8/10/23 at 3:16pm

I do not think so. They probably are going to be holding off on musicals for a while. I had heard Mary Poppins a few years back but it was just a rumor.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#6The Sound of Music at Lincoln Center
Posted: 8/10/23 at 3:42pm

How do you read "Gospel, funk, soul, and Afrobeat come together in The Sound of (Black) Music, a reimagining of the beloved Rogers and Hammerstein score by Michael Mwenso and Jono Gasparro in Alice Tully Hall" and come away thinking it's a Bart Sher LCT revival?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#7The Sound of Music at Lincoln Center
Posted: 8/10/23 at 3:52pm

I think that would be a colossal waste of all their talents. 

Revive something different and interesting. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#8Nah.
Posted: 8/10/23 at 3:56pm

It's absolutely not The Sound of Music. Do your research before announcing things, please. 

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#9Nah.
Posted: 8/10/23 at 3:59pm

It's in Alice Tully Hall, not the Beaumont, and for one night, Nov. 9th.

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#10Nah.
Posted: 8/10/23 at 4:07pm

Call_me_jorge said: "bdn223 said: "Dolly80 said: "This will be the next Bart Sher production in the Beaumont. Great idea I think"

"

I think they’re misinterpreting this headline. It’s actually going to be a reimagining of the sound of music:

“On November 9,the sounds of gospel, funk, soul, and Afrobeat will come together forThe Sound of (Black) Music, a reimagining of the beloved Rodgers and Hammerstein score by Michael Mwenso and Jono Gasparro.”
"

To highjack this, I saw an earlier iteration of this concert/experience at Bard College in 2021 and it was wonderful.... Michael Mwenso is not to be missed

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

JSquared2
#11Nah.
Posted: 8/10/23 at 4:09pm

Dolly80 said: "This will be the next Bart Sher production in the Beaumont. Great idea I think"

You don't read too good!

Dolly80
#12The sound of music
Posted: 8/10/23 at 5:07pm

Actually .. I can read- and it’s NOTHING to do with this announcement today.

It is the next musical and I know because a planned London staging of The Sound of Music has been pulled because Lincoln Center are doing it.

Hope that’s cleared up any confusion.

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#13Nah.
Posted: 8/10/23 at 5:07pm

I also saw this at Bard and it was wonderful, don’t miss it!

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#14Nah.
Posted: 8/10/23 at 5:32pm

Dolly80 said: "Actually .. I can read- and it’s NOTHING to do with this announcement today.

It is the next musical and I know because a planned London staging of The Sound of Music has been pulled because Lincoln Center are doing it.

"

I can't think of another show that I'd want Bartlett FURTHER AWAY FROM

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

KevinKlawitter
#15Nah.
Posted: 8/10/23 at 5:49pm

Dolly80 said: "Actually .. I can read- and it’s NOTHING to do with this announcement today.

"

Curious what new perspective Sher plans on bringing to it. More so than even previous Lincoln Center musicals TSOM is a show that's ubiquitous to the point of almost feeling sterile - I saw a community theatre production of it a week or so again and while it was a fine show with really good performances, it was mostly the actors that were bringing the vitality and energy instead of the the direction (although it had some good moments).

I'm assuming he has something in mind, and I'm definitely interested in finding out.

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#16Nah.
Posted: 8/10/23 at 5:51pm

In one way it makes sense considering they have never done it before. And it is not a musical that is generally criticized for the way it is written and structured.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#17Nah.
Posted: 8/10/23 at 5:58pm

I'd be shocked if this actually happened, but I'd be interested to see a Sher-helmed revival of The Sound of Music... I think he could bring some fresh life to the show which is inherently a bit stale.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#18Nah.
Posted: 8/10/23 at 6:18pm

I've heard of a lot of reimaginings lately, but a Black Sound of Music is on another level entirely.  Will it be set in Florida 2023?  Excited!

verywellthensigh
#19Nah.
Posted: 8/10/23 at 6:27pm

bwayphreak234 said: "I'd be shocked if this actually happened, but I'd be interested to see a Sher-helmed revival of The Sound of Music... I think he could bring some fresh life to the show which is inherently a bit stale."

I'm getting deja vu from this statement.  

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#20Nah.
Posted: 8/10/23 at 6:32pm

If true, they need to stop doing tired revivals with the same director. Every. Single. Time. I get they were burned with Flying Over Sunset, but I wish they would give new or at least newer musicals a try.

verywellthensigh
#21Nah.
Posted: 8/10/23 at 6:56pm

I'm sure they got their cringey "It's actually more relevant today than it was because fascism blubmblyghybughhtsublbuehl" talking points all queued up.  

Dom P
#22Nah.
Posted: 8/10/23 at 7:58pm

bwayphreak234 said: "I'd be shocked if this actually happened, but I'd be interested to see a Sher-helmed revival of The Sound of Music... I think he could bring some fresh life to the show which is inherently a bit stale."

As long as he doesn't have Aaron Sorkin revise the book and he doesn't go too far afield. It should be ok. Does anyone see this selling though?

Updated On: 8/10/23 at 07:58 PM

Dom P
#23Nah.
Posted: 8/10/23 at 8:03pm

Sutton Ross said: "If true, they need to stop doing tired revivals with the same director. Every. Single. Time. I get they were burned with Flying Over Sunset, but I wish they would give new or at least newer musicals a try.

"I agree. Thier main stage (Beaumont) programs in the recent past have not been successful, there seems to be a period of stagnation at least with thier Beaumont offerings. IMHO

Updated On: 8/10/23 at 08:03 PM

Jarethan
#24Nah.
Posted: 8/10/23 at 8:49pm

Voter said: "Dolly80 said: "Actually .. I can read- and it’s NOTHING to do with this announcement today.

"

"

Why???  He has already done acclaimed work on two other R&H musicals.  

I must admit that I was hoping that Spamalot would get Josh Rhodes some serious recognition, and that he would be given the opportunity to take on SOM on Broadway, because I saw a production that he directed in Sarasota that was absolutely perfect, and I didn’t even want to see it.  I have seen three or four things he has done in SRQ, and all have been done so well.

Dom P
#25Nah.
Posted: 8/10/23 at 8:52pm

Jarethan said: "Voter said: "Dolly80 said: "Actually .. I can read- and it’s NOTHING to do with this announcement today.

"

"

Why??? He has already done acclaimed work on two other R&H musicals.

I must admit that I was hoping that Spamalot would get Josh Rhodes some serious recognition, and that he would be given the opportunity to take on SOM on Broadway, because I saw a production that he directed in Sarasota that was absolutely perfect, and I didn’t even want to see it. I have seen three or four things he has done in SRQ, and all have been done so well.
"

Perhaps it's time for a breath of fresh air at the Beaumont.