pixeltracker

West End shows for the coming holiday

West End shows for the coming holiday

Kwibbles
#1West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/9/23 at 6:48pm

My wife and I are headed to London this coming Xmas holiday.

In the past, when we’ve come back into NYC every two years for a week-and-a-half blitz of all we can take in, we understood how to keep an eye out and plan for (possibly book) shows that were coming up in that timeframe in New York on their first legs that weren’t yet being promoted and certainly hadn’t been reviewed yet.

We’d watch the schedules of Atlantic Theatre Co, The Public, NY Theater Workshop, Playwrights Horizons, Signature Theatre Co.

And many (most?) of the best shows we saw - amidst the hot shows on Bway and  off- that we managed to see - were the incoming next-year shows that were bubbling up at those companies and venues.

We are looking at the top-line listings in the West End for the holidays, and it’s looking pretty scarce for a full slate to be excited about, to try to see as many shows as we can.

Two and a half months out now, what are the equivalent theater companies or production venues in London that you think we should watch - and productions we should potentially pounce on - for the end of Dec period?

Thanks so much -

[btw, if there is a best equivalent of a West End site for this same ask, let us know. This has just always been our chat base for best show info.]

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#2West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/10/23 at 1:50am

theatreboard.co.uk is the West End equivalent of this board.

As for the shows I'd say, Pacific Overtures at the Menier Chocolate Factory, Sondheim Old Friends at the Gielgud, Crazy For You at the Gillian Lynn, Guys and Dolls at the Bridge, Cabaret at the Kit Kat Club, Cold War at the Almeida, Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy, Edward Scissorhands at Sadlers Wells, and maybe The Time Traveller's Wife at the Lyric and The Witches at the National Theatre. Sher's revival of The King and I is being remounted at the Dominion, in case you haven't seen it yet.

As for plays, The House of Bernarda Alba at the National Theatre (Harriet Walter), Dear England at Prince Edward, Infinite Life at the NT, Frank and Percy at the Other Palace (if you want to see Ian McKellen), Stranger Thing: The First Shadow at the Phoenix, Backstairs Billy at Duke of York's (Penelope Wilton; Luke Evans), Totoro at the Barbican, Lyonesse at the Harold Pinter (Kristin Scott Thomas; Lily James), A Christmas Carol at the Old Vic, The Motive and the Cue at the Noel Coward Theatre, and – if you can get tickets – Macbeth at the Donmar.

Most of these are not actually in the West End, but since you enjoy Off-Broadway I thought you wouldn't mind

Updated On: 10/10/23 at 01:50 AM

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#3West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/10/23 at 6:47am

Surprised you feel there isn't a full slate of productions to enjoy. London theatre is really buzzing at the moment with lots of great options.

Along with the 20+ shows mentioned by imeldasturn above, you have Operation Mincemeat playing which has really turned into the little show that could, and is a huge hit now in the West End after multiple fringe runs. The Little Big Things just extended into March, another great show to see. The Enfield Haunting looks promising at the Ambassadors.

imeldasturn
#4West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/10/23 at 7:02am

Oh and Ulster American at Riverside Studios with Woody Harrelson and Andy Serkins. Tickets on sale from today. You can enjoy a very busy and very starry theatre season at Christmas, without even counting pantos and The Nutcracker 

Kwibbles
#5West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/10/23 at 2:18pm

Thanks so much, Imelda and Mark_E - we'll get on it!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#6West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/10/23 at 2:23pm

I can’t recommend “Little Big Things” enough. There’s a chance that’ll be my #1 show of the entire year. 

In addition to what’s listed above, “The Witches” musical is having its world premiere at The National which I’m VERY much looking forward to. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#7West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/10/23 at 5:29pm

There also may be/should be pantos while you are there. I have not been to one - but they are a London tradition.  There should be many to choose from. 

Jordan Catalano
#8West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/10/23 at 5:36pm

The Palladium Panto this year is “Peter Pan” with Jennifer Saunders as Captain Hook - should be a riot. 

sppunk
#9West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/11/23 at 11:43am

I will be in London in mid December and plan on Cold War and The Witches - debating a third show. 

Cold War is nearly sold out.  

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#10West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/11/23 at 11:49am

One of my friends who’s a designer told me about a production of King Lear that's only playing 50 performances in the West End and will transfer to the Shed in NYC later next year. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

imeldasturn
#11West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/11/23 at 11:55am

Dylan Smith4 said: "One of my friends who’s a designer told me about a production of King Lear that's only playing 50 performances in the West End and will transfer to the Shed in NYC later next year."

Yeah the Kenneth Branagh one

Jordan Catalano
#12West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/11/23 at 12:01pm

I’ve always wanted to see him onstage but even Branagh can get me to sit through another Lear. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#13West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/11/23 at 3:17pm

I’ll be in London too and have tix for Totoro and Witches.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#14West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/11/23 at 11:07pm

Killian Donnelly will be back on as Valjean from 31 October for 15 weeks - which might be almost enough reason to see Les Miserables one more time.

yyys
#15West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/12/23 at 9:25am

I also have a ticket for Witches in mid November.

I am also interested in the Stranger Things play (selling pretty well).  I am skeptical right now though and will probably wait until the reviews are out.

I highly recommend Crazy For You.  It closes sometime in January.

Updated On: 10/12/23 at 09:25 AM

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#16West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/12/23 at 10:48am

yyys said: "I highly recommend Crazy For You. It closes sometime in January."

I also would recommend that! Charlie Stemp is a megastar talent! Really hope they announce a New York transfer soon!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

JasonC3
#17West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/12/23 at 1:26pm

It is pretty easy to get fairly inexpensive seats for Crazy for You in addition to it being a good show.

Jordan Catalano
#18West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/12/23 at 1:31pm

I believe with “Crazy For You”’s dynamic pricing you can get amazing seats for next to nothing close to showtime. 

SisterGeorge
#19West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/12/23 at 1:44pm

I'll be there 7 days the last week of November and narrowed it down to 

Stephen Sondheim"s Old Friends
Crazy for You
Sleeping Beauty Takes a Prick
House of Bernarda Alba
Operation Mincemeat
Backstairs Billy
The Witches
Dear England
Sunset Boulevard

Plus The Dante Project, a ballet by choreographer Wayne McGregor and composer Thomas Ades,  and Verdi's Rigoletto at the Royal Opera House.

I've booked in advance all but two.

Sister George

yyys
#20West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/12/23 at 1:45pm

CRAZY FOR YOU: There have a "rush" lottery every Monday and you can get tickets up to 4 weeks in advance.  Great seats for 30 pounds each.  Too bad it is not doing very well. When I went it was probably 60% full.  

SUNSET BLVD: Pricing drops closer to performance I'm noticing...

Updated On: 10/12/23 at 01:45 PM

midorigal
#21West End shows for the coming holiday
Posted: 10/12/23 at 1:56pm

Hi all,

I'm the wife and I'm busy taking notes! 

We already have Crazy for You on our list as that's one of my husband's favorite musicals. I did the research and panto Peter Pan is definitely on our list. West End shows for the coming holiday I am already feeling like we are running out of time. I'm sad to see that Totoro tickets are sold out for the time we are there. Do you think there will be some returned tix? I am also thinking of skipping Christmas at Kew Gardens and just focusing on shows like we normally do in NYC...lol. And is Back to the Future just too silly?

Edit to add: Operation Mincemeat is on our list now! Big Thanks! West End shows for the coming holiday

You all are always so great with recommendations for Broadway shows and the same for London too! Thank you!

Updated On: 10/12/23 at 01:56 PM