pixeltracker

Henry Winkler Hypothetical Stage Role

Henry Winkler Hypothetical Stage Role

mufish
#1Henry Winkler Hypothetical Stage Role
Posted: 11/2/23 at 10:36pm

I attended an event this evening with Henry Winkler following the release of his memoir earlier in the week. At one point during the thoroughly entertaining discussion, he mentioned that he would like to get back to Broadway and win a TONY. Later on during the Q&A, someone asked what the role would be that he'd like to play on stage, to which he said he didn't know. His process is that he's presented with a role, then he just knows.

So, I'd love to hear what people think - is there a particular role/production that you think could get Winkler that TONY? 

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#2Henry Winkler Hypothetical Stage Role
Posted: 11/3/23 at 10:45am

Is this why famous actors do Broadway... to get an award? Not for the love of theatre? Oh well.

Anyway, the story and character of James Tyrone in Long Day's Journey into Night might suit him well. Good luck, Mr. Winkler.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3Henry Winkler Hypothetical Stage Role
Posted: 11/3/23 at 10:59am

I found that comment a turn off, too. Perhaps it's out of context .. or there was more to his conversation. (Like his childhood daydream was to someday win a Tony.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 11/3/23 at 10:59 AM

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#4Henry Winkler Hypothetical Stage Role
Posted: 11/3/23 at 11:13am

True. I suppose famous people are only human too. Maybe it was just in fun.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

hearthemsing22
#5Henry Winkler Hypothetical Stage Role
Posted: 11/3/23 at 11:27am

It wouldn't be originating a role, but what about the Wizard in Wicked?

fosterfan2
#6Henry Winkler Hypothetical Stage Role
Posted: 11/3/23 at 11:44am

The Wizard has 2 solos. Can Winkler sing?

Broadway61004
#7Henry Winkler Hypothetical Stage Role
Posted: 11/3/23 at 12:03pm

fosterfan2 said: "The Wizard has 2 solos. Can Winkler sing?"

He was originally supposed to be Danny in Grease, so I hope that means he can at least carry a tune?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#8Henry Winkler Hypothetical Stage Role
Posted: 11/3/23 at 12:50pm

He used to do Shakespeare in the seventies and eighties. I wonder if there’s a non-Lear role that’s right for him?

BETTY22
#9Henry Winkler Hypothetical Stage Role
Posted: 11/3/23 at 4:36pm

I love this chat group - I can't stop thinking about this....maybe HAIRSPRAY?

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#10Henry Winkler Hypothetical Stage Role
Posted: 11/3/23 at 4:44pm

That would be interesting considering he was considered to replace Harvey in "Torch Song Trilogy". I think, though he became friends with Harvey, he turned it down thinking it might hurt his "Fonz" persona.

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#11Henry Winkler Hypothetical Stage Role
Posted: 11/3/23 at 5:24pm

There actually exists a Happy Days musical; perhaps he could play Mr. Cunningham at this point.

Broadway61004
#12Henry Winkler Hypothetical Stage Role
Posted: 11/3/23 at 7:45pm

This made me think: This of course will in no way end up being the casting for the upcoming revival, but I actually wonder how he would be as the Stage Manager in Our Town.  I feel like he sort of naturally exudes that small-town charm and he's someone I can clearly envision both as a storyteller and then being absorbed into the world of that town.  It could very well be dreadful, but I feel like it could also potentially be quite good.

Updated On: 11/3/23 at 07:45 PM

UncleCharlie
#13Henry Winkler Hypothetical Stage Role
Posted: 11/3/23 at 8:42pm

dramamama611 said: "I found that comment a turn off, too. Perhaps it's out of context .. or there was more to his conversation. (Like his childhood daydream was to someday win a Tony.)"

Winkler is consistently mentioned as one of the kindest, genuinely nicest people in Hollywood. Willie Geist of NBC news was on Seth Meyers last night. He recently interviewed Winkler for his Sunday morning news program. They did the interview at a table at Katz's deli during regular hours. After the interview Winkler chatted briefly with a couple at the next table. They were newlyweds on their honeymoon in New York. Geist mentioned after Winkler finished chatting with them, without telling them or making a big deal out of it, he paid their check.

So whether the quote was taken out of context, or it wasn't and at 78 after a career being known largely for one TV role 40 years ago, it would mean a lot to him before he's done to receive validation as a stage actor, I'm inclined to give him a pass.

mufish
#14Henry Winkler Hypothetical Stage Role
Posted: 11/3/23 at 10:20pm

I perhaps could have added a bit more to help provide additional context.

The interviewer did actually ask why he wants to win a TONY, and he said because it's Broadway (there was no follow up after that). It did come off as having a reverence for the theatre and don't think he meant it as just wanting another piece for his mantle - after all, it took him decades to win an Emmy so I don't think he's acting for awards. 

He is an Emerson and Yale graduate (overcoming his dyslexia) and started out in New York. He shared (I'm paraphrasing here) that after graduation his classmates judged him for doing commercials instead of going all-in doing theatre, but they quickly came to ask him how to get commercials because he had found a way to make money so he could do theatre for free at night (obviously a slight exaggeration)...maybe I'm reaching but I took that to mean he'd have loved to just be working in the theatre, but much the way many actors find other jobs between gigs or even while actively in a production, commercials were that for him in between theatre jobs.

Obviously actors act, but he honestly came off like someone who just enjoys acting (and he improvs quite well!) and is incredibly appreciative for the career he's had. It all felt extremely genuine and he shared some great stories but also what could best be called life lessons/generic advice. The formal program was about an hour, but then he stayed after to take photos with the 500 or so people who were there. The book store staff kept things moving fairly briskly, but he looked me in the eye and shook my hand, we took the picture, and he shook my hand again and thanked me for coming. 

Definitely just thought it would make for a fun topic to help get away from all the talk about the Tveit/Foster Sweeney casting announcement :)

BoringBoredBoard40
#15Henry Winkler Hypothetical Stage Role
Posted: 11/4/23 at 2:44am

UncleCharlie said:

So whether the quote was taken out of context, or it wasn't and at 78 after a career being known largely for one TV role 40 years ago, it would mean a lot to him before he's done to receive validation as a stage actor, I'm inclined to give him a pass.

"

I would certainly believe he is known more then just as the Fonz now with Arrested Development and Barry giving him quote second and third career bumps. 

UncleCharlie
#16Henry Winkler Hypothetical Stage Role
Posted: 11/6/23 at 5:37am

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "UncleCharlie said:

"

I would certainly believe he is known more then just as the Fonz now with Arrested Development and Barry giving him quote second and third career bumps.

"

I wasn't trying to imply he hasn't done many other things since then but when you say the name Henry Winkler, especially to those of us over 40, the first thing many think of is The Fonz, a truly iconic role in the history of television. He's certainly worked steadily and been in demand since then but both roles you mentioned were supporting roles and not the first person you think of when you think of those shows, see him or say his name unless you are too young to even know what Happy Days was.

In fact, It's a tribute to him and his talent as an actor that he has gone on to be able play so many other roles after the Fonz. Many other actors who hit it big fairly early in their career with an iconic role are never able to get past it and are never believable in any other role. As an example, Seinfeld has been off the air for 25 years but other than Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, some live stand up performances and some appearances in shows as himself, he has never been able to do anything else cause no one will ever believe him in any acting role as anything other than Seinfeld. It's very sad really. All he can really do now is decide each day whether he wants to drive his 1976 Lamborghini Countach, his 1964 Aston Martin DB5 or his 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder as he struggles to decide how to spend $950 million.

Videos