pixeltracker

Heartstopper star Joe Locke to join SWEENEY TODD

Heartstopper star Joe Locke to join SWEENEY TODD

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Heartstopper star Joe Locke to join SWEENEY TODD
Posted: 12/7/23 at 10:07am

https://deadline.com/2023/12/joe-locke-broadway-sweeney-todd-1235655577/

EXCLUSIVE: Heartstopper breakout star Joe Locke will make his Broadway debut next month when he joins the cast of the hit Stephen Sondheim-Hugh Wheeler musical Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

Producers announced today that Locke has been cast in the pivotal role of the young apprentice Tobias.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#2Heartstopper star Joe Locke to join SWEENEY TODD
Posted: 12/7/23 at 10:19am

Great casting! I don’t really care for Heartstopper, but he’s incredibly charming and has just enough of an oddness about him that this feels like a perfect fit.

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#3Heartstopper star Joe Locke to join SWEENEY TODD
Posted: 12/7/23 at 10:49am

As much as I LOVE Sutton and like Tveit, it is sad how much more excited I am by this announcement than theirs. LOL!!!

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

rattleNwoolypenguin
#4Heartstopper star Joe Locke to join SWEENEY TODD
Posted: 12/7/23 at 11:07am

Pretty smart replacement casting.

That actor is all heart.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#5Heartstopper star Joe Locke to join SWEENEY TODD
Posted: 12/7/23 at 11:29am

I'm getting the feeling that the producers feel this show runs primarily on star power and sales will drop without a "name" in at least one of the leads.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

BETTY22
#6Heartstopper star Joe Locke to join SWEENEY TODD
Posted: 12/7/23 at 12:06pm

I love this - wish the part was bigger....

Wayman_Wong
#7Heartstopper star Joe Locke to join SWEENEY TODD
Posted: 12/7/23 at 12:09pm

What Broadway show couldn't benefit from star power? It's competitive to sell tickets, especially at current prices, and stars make it easier to get booked onto TV talk shows and get more exposure. Aaron Tveit, alone, makes a ''Sweeney Todd'' revisit a must-see for me, but Joe Locke will be a bonus. 

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#8Heartstopper star Joe Locke to join SWEENEY TODD
Posted: 12/7/23 at 2:05pm

Love Joe Locke and he might finally get me to see the revival after all. But Toby has some major extended solos where his voice has to top the full ensemble singing behind him. Does anyone have clips of Joe's singing? Must be of a pretty high level for them to cast him, right?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#9Heartstopper star Joe Locke to join SWEENEY TODD
Posted: 12/7/23 at 2:08pm

Kinda sorta related to Joe Locke’s casting, but can Kathryn Hahn sing and would she be up to playing Lovett after Foster leaves?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Varun Gangawane
#10Heartstopper star Joe Locke to join SWEENEY TODD
Posted: 12/7/23 at 3:10pm

Just saw the news about Joe Locke making his Broadway debut in Sweeney Todd. Super excited for him tackling the role of Tobias.

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#11Heartstopper star Joe Locke to join SWEENEY TODD
Posted: 12/7/23 at 10:58pm

Hope he doesn't walk on[to extended applause], look around, and say,, Hi ! [joke--I'm a Heartstopper fan].

So pleased that he obviously can sing as wasn't sure what would follow Heartstopper for him. He's doing a Marvel series that Patti Lupone is also involved in so I am sure they would have spoken about ST.

Nick is the obvious person who has matured into starring role material so I am pleased that work is following Joe. This casting was a total shock-congrats.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#12Heartstopper star Joe Locke to join SWEENEY TODD
Posted: 12/8/23 at 12:01am

SweetLips22 said: "Nick is the obvious person who has matured into starring role material so I am pleased that work is following Joe. This casting was a total shock-congrats."

I’m assuming you mean Kit.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#13Heartstopper star Joe Locke to join SWEENEY TODD
Posted: 12/8/23 at 3:12pm

Call_me_jorge said: "SweetLips22 said: "Nick is the obvious person who has matured into starring role material so I am pleased that work is following Joe. This casting was a total shock-congrats."

I’m assuming you mean Kit.
"

Kit playing Nick