pixeltracker

Story of the Week: The Average Broadway Theatergoer Earns a Household Income of $271,277 a Year

Story of the Week: The Average Broadway Theatergoer Earns a Household Income of $271,277 a Year

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
LuckyDipster Profile Photo
LuckyDipster
#3Story of the Week: The Average Broadway Theatergoer Earns a Household Income of $271,277 a Year
Posted: 12/23/23 at 5:11am

I guess this makes my upcoming visit (from the UK on a £12k salary) even more of a special treat.  Yowzer!  

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#4Story of the Week: The Average Broadway Theatergoer Earns a Household Income of $271,277 a Year
Posted: 12/23/23 at 10:48am

I'm curious about something. The article mentions that the use of income ranges prevents the League from calculating a median income, which is certainly true, but it should also prevent them from calculating an accurate average (mean) income. Just assuming, for instance, that everyone in the $1,000,000+ bin makes the same amount (exactly that much, perhaps?) will result in a very speculative value for the mean as well as the median; I can't see how you do a meaningful calculation of either measure without actual numbers. Maybe someone better versed in statistics - or League methodology - can shed some light on this.

Fosse76
#5Story of the Week: The Average Broadway Theatergoer Earns a Household Income of $271,277 a Year
Posted: 12/23/23 at 11:37am

Averages and salary ranges are so misleading, that it really is useless information. If Elon Musk sat next to me at the Broadhurst, the average salary for everyone in that theater would be over $78 million (his income is so high that anyone else's would zero out in comparison). Not to mention people who might lie on the survey. 

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#6Story of the Week: The Average Broadway Theatergoer Earns a Household Income of $271,277 a Year
Posted: 12/23/23 at 3:03pm

I feel very poor and that I'm around people above my means.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#7Story of the Week: The Average Broadway Theatergoer Earns a Household Income of $271,277 a Year
Posted: 12/23/23 at 3:08pm

Actually, the fact that they’re using a mean instead of a median seems to go against typical statistics standards. When it comes to salaries, medians are typically used because of the large range of responses. Large salaries can influence averages up significantly, inflating what a “typical” theatergoer salary looks like.  With median those effectively get lumped together and thrown out.

edit: I misread what they meant by “range”, thinning they meant the total data range instead of the fact that the individual responses were salary ranges. However I still stand by my point — they CAN calculate the median salary range which would be more representative of the typical theatergoer than however they got this average.

Updated On: 12/23/23 at 03:08 PM

UncleCharlie
#8Story of the Week: The Average Broadway Theatergoer Earns a Household Income of $271,277 a Year
Posted: 12/24/23 at 3:51am

As others have intimated, I think this "average" number is heavily distorted by the inclusion of a small group of very rich people and is a virtually meaningless piece of data. Anyone who works with statistics knows it is very easy to analyze the data and present it in a way that backs up and validates whatever point you are trying to make.

BETTY22
#9Story of the Week: The Average Broadway Theatergoer Earns a Household Income of $271,277 a Year
Posted: 12/27/23 at 5:22pm

WOW. Although with these prices I should be so surprised. 

BroadwayBen
#10Story of the Week: The Average Broadway Theatergoer Earns a Household Income of $271,277 a Year
Posted: 12/29/23 at 12:25pm

I never understand the kvelling over theater ticket prices or audience make up.    There are Ford Fiestas, there are Hondas, there are Teslas, and there are Maseratis.    Cars that provide the essentially same functions in different price ranges for different markets.  Why don't people understand the same is for theater? Until there is serious government funding for all theater (like the UK -- which also provides health care for all so its not a production cost) great theater seats will be always be a luxury item in US.   There's no way around it given the production and theater costs involved, which is pretty well documented.   Smart consumers can usually find pretty deep discounts without too much trouble (TKTS, etc..)  and cut the price at least by 40 percent, often more.   But every time there is an article about audience income or ticket pricing, the pearl clutching begins.   

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#11Story of the Week: The Average Broadway Theatergoer Earns a Household Income of $271,277 a Year
Posted: 1/4/24 at 8:09pm

BroadwayBen said: "I never understand the kvelling over theater ticket prices or audience make up. There are Ford Fiestas, there are Hondas, there are Teslas, and there are Maseratis. Cars that provide the essentially same functions in different price ranges for different markets. Why don't people understand the same is for theater? Until there is serious government funding for all theater (like the UK -- which also provides health care for all so its not a production cost) great theater seats will be always be a luxury item in US. There's no way around it given the production and theater costs involved, which is pretty well documented. Smart consumers can usually find pretty deep discounts without too much trouble (TKTS, etc..) and cut the price at least by 40 percent, often more. But every time there is an article about audience income or ticket pricing, the pearl clutching begins. "

Haven’t seen anyone on here clutching pearls. Just reacting to the article. 

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#12Story of the Week: The Average Broadway Theatergoer Earns a Household Income of $271,277 a Year
Posted: 1/4/24 at 11:41pm

I would say that a theatre goer with that salary would be more likely to pay full price for a ticket. It seems like that number could be calculated in various ways.

gibsons2
#14Story of the Week: The Average Broadway Theatergoer Earns a Household Income of $271,277 a Year
Posted: 1/5/24 at 8:08am

Does everyone understand that household income means income from not just one earner but 2 or more? $271K earned by 2 working spouses are average NYC salaries. $100K annual salary is barely enough to survive in NYC, unless you live in rent stabilized apartment or someone else pays your bills, or you have a household of multiple earners. I'm surprised this average household income isn't higher.

Videos