London Trip This Week

mattmarkowski99 Profile Photo
mattmarkowski99
#1London Trip This Week
Posted: 12/26/23 at 4:38pm

I'm heading to London tomorrow for a winter theater trip and I have most of my time planned, but I have a few new open spots that I can fill. I currently have tickets for Sunset Boulevard, Stranger Things, The Witches, Operation Mincemeat, and I will be buying tickets to The Motive and the Cue. I originally was planned on seeing Cold War, but I lost track of time and it's sold out.

I have one or two spots to fill, but I'm interested in some other recommendations. I was thinking maybe Hamnet, Backstairs Billy, The Time Traveller's Wife, The Little Big Things. What's the consensus?

Updated On: 12/26/23 at 04:38 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2London Trip This Week
Posted: 12/26/23 at 4:44pm

I had a great time at "Backstairs Billy". Really a treat to see Penelope in person and Luke was also really wonderful onstage. Plus real Corgi's! 

"Little Big Things" is a show I've seen twice now and I absolutely love it. Some of the most inventive staging I saw all year and even if the score isn't the best one ever written, there's enough in there that I'll listen to it when the cast album comes out in a couple weeks and I'm sure enjoy it. But the story and performances are what make this one so great, for me. But bring some kleenex, if you go. 

mattmarkowski99 Profile Photo
mattmarkowski99
#3London Trip This Week
Posted: 12/26/23 at 5:04pm

Those are definitely my top two choices, but I may only have time for one with their schedules and mine. I'm leaning a little more towards "Backstairs Billy" because it seems very much a British show and I could see a world where The Little Big Things possibly played else where or transfers to another theater later in the year.

yyys
#4London Trip This Week
Posted: 12/26/23 at 5:29pm

Definitely see "Backstairs Billy" - there were a lot of laughs....but won't go into detail.  ATG also lowers the price day of show.

I heard great things about Edward Scissorhands. Matthew Bourne can do no wrong. 

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2023/dec/14/edward-scissorhands-review-matthew-bourne-sadlers-wells-london

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#5London Trip This Week
Posted: 12/26/23 at 6:44pm

Sondheim's Old Friends? It runs till the 6th and there are some nice discounts to be had for some of the remaining performances.

yyys
#6London Trip This Week
Posted: 12/26/23 at 7:42pm

Crazy for You is leaving as well.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#7London Trip This Week
Posted: 12/26/23 at 10:14pm

You HAVE to see Old Friends! Yes, I’m biased but it’s the best show in London by far. Bernadette is in very good voice at the moment (she has been sick a couple times throughout the run) and is giving an iconic performance of ‘send in the clowns’ as well as being absolutely hilarious in other moments. Lea’s ‘coming up roses’ is worth the price of admission alone and the entire ensemble and cast are so strong. It’s unusual to hear Sondheim sung so well in London. On Cameron Macktintosh’s first podcast episode he said that he wishes he could transfer everyone to NYC. 

The X factor is a STUNNING performance of Sunday while Bernadette as dot reads lines, and is typically highly emotional along with the rest of the cast as they appear to be in awe with what sound they are creating. Truly a one of a kind theatre experience!!!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 12/26/23 at 10:14 PM

BIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
#8London Trip This Week
Posted: 12/27/23 at 11:21am

Any recommendations on renting an apartment for one month on London. Would appreciate any info.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#9London Trip This Week
Posted: 12/27/23 at 3:00pm

BIG BALONEY said: "Any recommendations on renting an apartment for one month on London. Would appreciate any info."

Check VRBO. They typically have apartment listings in London. We had a great apartment in Battersea. Not far from the center city of London. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#10London Trip This Week
Posted: 12/27/23 at 3:04pm

How's the Time Traveler's Wife? Anything inventive with the staging?

Phillyguy
#11London Trip This Week
Posted: 12/27/23 at 7:55pm

Saw Old Friends today and highly recommended. Lea Salonga is just incredible. 

Crazy for You is excellent. Very funny and the choreography is just stunning. 

I saw Sunset Blvd and absolutely loved it. It is probably one of the best musicals I’ve ever seen