News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

It Seems Like Best Featured Actor/Actress in a Musical=Best Song Performance

It Seems Like Best Featured Actor/Actress in a Musical=Best Song Performance

BeingAlive44Ever
#1It Seems Like Best Featured Actor/Actress in a Musical=Best Song Performance
Posted: 12/31/23 at 1:25am

This is something I've noticed a lot

But think of how many Tony Award wins for acting performances in musicals wind up being for song performances

I mean, in 2022, Company took home two Tony Awards, one for each of the big showstopping numbers by featured performers

And, yes, they do have other material in the show, but it mostly comes down to those big numbers

Now, I'm not saying these awards aren't deserved, because I don't think that any Tony Awards are "undeserved" other than maybe a few instances of producers buying rights for shows they know will win best musical, actors getting awards more or less by default, and a handful of just baffling times 

In 2022, I think that Patti Lupone was the most unbelievable person on Broadway that season no contest and she absolutely deserved that award

But it seems like it's sort of a competition of Best Song Performance for featured performers

This applies to Leading Actors/Actresses, too, of course

But the leading actors in musicals get a lot more to do

For example, I think a big part of Victoria Clark's Tony win came from that scene where she's silently conveying her feelings of agony to the audience when her friends talk about their futures 

That was an incredible moment where she wasn't even singing 

Of course, Idina Menzel probably won her Tony Award for Wicked largely because of her iconic, defining performance of Defying Gravity 

There's a lot more examples of featured performers than leading performers for this, though

Just off the top of my head, there's: 

Dick Latessa for You're Timeless to Me in Hairspray, Gabriel Ebert for Telly in Matilda, Christian Borle for Hard to be the Bard in Something Rotten, Matt Doyle for Not Getting Married Today in Company, Patti Lupone for The Ladies Who Lunch in Company, Bonnie Milligan for Better in Kimberly Akimbo, Renee Elise Goldsberry for Satisfied in Hamilton 

I suppose all this is to say that it's hard for somebody to win or even be nominated for a Tony Award without a big, showstopping number

I mean, Robin De Jesus managed two Tony nominations off of zero solos so that's pretty dang impressive 

But it's so rare for roles not to seemingly be written specifically to facilitate Tony Awards

Some roles just can't win Tony awards because they don't have this kind of showstopping number

I'm curious to know what others think about my insane ramblings

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#2It Seems Like Best Featured Actor/Actress in a Musical=Best Song Performance
Posted: 12/31/23 at 2:49am

I love Alex. But the Tony should have gone to Justin Cooley or Kevin. Two far superior performances. But as noted, they did not have a killer song that got them the Tony. Outside of Alex's song, he was fine. The other two gave extremely wonderful performances from top to bottom. JMO

Just give the world Love.

Sebastian
#3It Seems Like Best Featured Actor/Actress in a Musical=Best Song Performance
Posted: 12/31/23 at 4:13am

Interestingly, mentioning Patti LuPone made me remember that Jennifer Simmard was also nominated with her and through sheer acting alone for her one scene. The original Sarah was also nominated but, Elaine Stritch was up for LEADING instead of featured (as was April...really), instead Marta was also nominated in featured, going along with this tony-for-best-solo commentary. The original Amy was not nominated, though. Also, at least Joanne has The Little Things You Do Together and a lot of zingers throughout.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#4It Seems Like Best Featured Actor/Actress in a Musical=Best Song Performance
Posted: 12/31/23 at 8:00am

A featured performance is very much a broad definition, from the fact it’s based on title billing, to it being for a performance that stands out in any capacity when they are not the lead. 

Sure, they may only have one barn-burning number, but usually when I consider a performance as “award-worthy”, I take into account not only its context within the show, but also the impact of it after I leave the theatre.

Example: In the race of Newell vs Cooley vs del Aguila (with Donica and Cahoon also in the mix), Newell left the biggest impression with me with the material they had, followed by Del Aguila. While Cooley may have had the most layered performance, I don’t remember much of him after the fact. Even Donica (in a very flawed Camelot) and Cahoon (the other utter surprise of Shucked) left more of an impact.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

BeingAlive44Ever
#5It Seems Like Best Featured Actor/Actress in a Musical=Best Song Performance
Posted: 12/31/23 at 6:04pm

Sebastian said: "Interestingly, mentioning Patti LuPone made me remember that Jennifer Simmard was also nominated with her and through sheer acting alone for her one scene. The original Sarah was also nominated but, Elaine Stritch was up for LEADING instead of featured (as was April...really), instead Marta was also nominated in featured, going along with this tony-for-best-solo commentary. The original Amy was not nominated, though. Also, at least Joanne has The Little Things You Do Together and a lot of zingers throughout."

Joanne is as close as you get to a leading lady in Company, but really there just isn't a leading female role

I find it so interesting when one song elevates a featured role to leading 

Like, how in the world were Ben Vereen in JCS and Daisy Eagan in Secret Garden featured performers and Harvey Fierstein in Hairspray and Bertie Carvel in Matilda were leading? 

And, a lot of the time, it almost feels like musical acting categories come down to singing

I think singing is an important part of acting in a musical, of course

But it makes me so happy when people like the aforementioned Harvey Fierstein or Natalia Makarova win Tony Awards when they really aren't singers but their acting performances are good enough to carry that

I think that, to some degree, it's an actor's personality that puts them from featured to leading

I think Harvey would have been doomed in the featured category that year, because, despite getting a ton to do in Timeless to Me, that still feels largely like Latessa's song 

But his personality is so huge that they inflated the size of his role 

I think that the leading categories are a lot more fair in the regard of being about acting 

Like, take that time Raul Esparza didn't win a Tony for Company even though most people can agree his Being Alive was one of the best solos on Broadway that year 

Broadway61004
#6It Seems Like Best Featured Actor/Actress in a Musical=Best Song Performance
Posted: 12/31/23 at 6:51pm

BeingAlive44Ever said: "Like, how in the world were Ben Vereen in JCS and Daisy Eagan in Secret Garden featured performers and Harvey Fierstein in Hairspray and Bertie Carvel in Matilda were leading?"

Don't forget that prior to about 25 years ago or so, there was no such thing as petitioning for leading or featured. If you were above the title, you were leading. If you weren't, you were featured. No matter what. So while that doesn't really explain Fierstein or Carvel, if does explain why Daisy Egan and Ben Vereen (both below the title) were automatically featured and Elaine Stritch (above the title in Company) was automatically leading.

JSquared2
#7It Seems Like Best Featured Actor/Actress in a Musical=Best Song Performance
Posted: 12/31/23 at 7:39pm

Broadway61004 said: "BeingAlive44Ever said: "Like, how in the world were Ben Vereen in JCS and Daisy Eagan in Secret Garden featured performers and Harvey Fierstein in Hairspray and Bertie Carvel in Matilda were leading?"

Don't forget that prior to about 25 years ago or so, there was no such thing as petitioning for leading or featured. If you were above the title, you were leading. If you weren't, you were featured. No matter what. So while that doesn't really explain Fierstein or Carvel, if does explain why Daisy Egan and Ben Vereen (both below the title) were automatically featured and Elaine Stritch (above the title in Company) was automatically leading.
"

That’s patently false. In A CHORUS LINE everyone was below the title and Donna McKechnie won as Lead Actress. In DREAMGIRLS everyone was below title and Jennifer Holliday and Ben Harney both won as Leads.  Just a few of the many examples. 

BeingAlive44Ever
#8It Seems Like Best Featured Actor/Actress in a Musical=Best Song Performance
Posted: 12/31/23 at 7:39pm

Broadway61004 said: "BeingAlive44Ever said: "Like, how in the world were Ben Vereen in JCS and Daisy Eagan in Secret Garden featured performers and Harvey Fierstein in Hairspray and Bertie Carvel in Matilda were leading?"

"

This is valuable insight

I thought that it had been a thing for a lot longer

I've noticed that the Laurence Oliviers have even looser definitions for the categories and basically change them every other day

I'm convinced that it's like one person giving out all the Oliviers because some of the awards literally don't meet the category definition in the slightest, like when they gave every single cast member of Kat and the Kings the best actor award

Dreamboy3
#9It Seems Like Best Featured Actor/Actress in a Musical=Best Song Performance
Posted: 1/1/24 at 9:44am

JSquared2 said: "Broadway61004 said: "BeingAlive44Ever said: "Like, how in the world were Ben Vereen in JCS and Daisy Eagan in Secret Garden featured performers and Harvey Fierstein in Hairspray and Bertie Carvel in Matilda were leading?"

"

That’s patently false. In A CHORUS LINE everyone was below the title and Donna McKechnie won as Lead Actress. In DREAMGIRLS everyone was below title and Jennifer Holliday and Ben Harney both won as Leads. Just a few of the many examples.
"

A Chorus Line was after the rule change and the show petitioned Donna for lead. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#10It Seems Like Best Featured Actor/Actress in a Musical=Best Song Performance
Posted: 1/1/24 at 10:30am

I guess time to repost this of Rita Moreno in 1975 (so the year before A Chorus Line) complaining about the category she won (not a musical):

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#11It Seems Like Best Featured Actor/Actress in a Musical=Best Song Performance
Posted: 1/1/24 at 11:39am

I do think that happened with the Company actors in 2022 and with Alex Newell this year (Justin Cooley deserved it IMO). But I would argue Bonnie Milligan won for many more reasons than just her performance of "Better." There are plenty of recent winners before that though who also won for more than one song so I don't think it's a trend yet.

BeingAlive44Ever
#12It Seems Like Best Featured Actor/Actress in a Musical=Best Song Performance
Posted: 1/1/24 at 11:39am

ggersten said: "I guess time to repost this of Rita Moreno in 1975 (so the year before A Chorus Line) complaining about the category she won (not a musical):

Sort of like when Michael Rupert won Best Featured Actor for Sweet Charity for what was obviously the Leading Man of the show

"

Similar th

Videos