pixeltracker

2024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread- Page 2

2024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#252024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/10/24 at 9:45pm

Operation mincemeat, Big Little Things, Next to Normal, Hadestown, The Witches.  I guess just for one day could also get in.  The critics were lukewarm on hadestown like me

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#262024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/10/24 at 9:48pm

“Strange Loop” is also eligible this year. 

Broadway Flash
#272024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/10/24 at 10:36pm

Ain’t too proud I believe as well.  I hated strange loop I doubt it gets nominated.  I’m sticking to my predictions. 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#282024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/10/24 at 10:39pm

Ain’t Too Proud didn’t do as well in London. Strange Loop has a better chance at getting nominated but again, Operation Mincemeat is the front runner with Next to Normal and Little Big Things as runners up. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

lopside
#292024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/11/24 at 6:30am

Of course you hated Guys and Dolls as well. Strange Loop was at least expected from you. Can always expect the most berserk opinions from you Flash.

Anyhow, G&D being eligible is very welcome news, especially if it means something more interesting than a Sunset sweep and Stranger Things winning all technical categories ( I think it still will win them, but with a bit more competition now at least). 

Ensemble1671566276
#302024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/11/24 at 9:39am

How does one hate Guys and Dolls and love Aspects of Love, of all things? That show basically got laughed out of town. Not even the Ball devotees made it see the end of its run

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#312024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/11/24 at 10:23am

I think Guys and Dolls is a terribly boring show. I saw this production and it was fun and whatnot, but at the end of the day it is still Guys and Dolls. I wish I had seen the last London revival because I remember watching portions of it on YouTube and loving the choreography and style. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#322024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/11/24 at 11:09am

I do hope, at the very minimum, Kyle Ramar Freeman picks up a nod for ASL. I’m resigned to the fact it will be drowned out by more superior productions (I’m firmly on Team Mincemeat), but Kyle finally had a chance to make the role in his own image after being on for more than half the run as a cover for Usher and others

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

binau Profile Photo
binau
#332024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/11/24 at 11:21am

I agree, Kyle was amazing. And I also agree that guys and dolls as a show is boring but I actually loved this production and don’t think I’ll ever see a more entertaining version of the show personally. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

blasvader
#342024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/11/24 at 11:28am

I think by now it should be clear by now that Broadway Flash is either a person who genuinely likes the things that are often derided, beyond just the critical reception too, or is a boring troll who gets a rise out of people by delusional posts. 

Dylan Smith4
#352024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/11/24 at 11:40am

blasvader said: "I think by now it should be clear by now that Broadway Flash is either a person who genuinely likes the thingsthat are often derided,beyond just the critical reception too, or is a boringtrollwho gets a rise out of people by delusional posts."

He’s a troll. He always expresses his opinions with nothing to back them. He said Bad Cinders was gonna be the greatest musical last year. I personally wanna know if he actually saw shows in London this last season or is just judging shows he hasn’t seen based on nothing! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#362024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/11/24 at 12:10pm

binau said: "I agree, Kyle was amazing. And I also agree that guys and dolls as a show is boring but I actually loved this production and don’t think I’ll ever see a more entertaining version of the show personally."

I did the standing room and I wish i had done something else to get the full scope. I think I would have preferred that more. 

Broadway Flash
#372024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/11/24 at 7:16pm

My opinion is not really a dissenting view.  I thought guys and dolls was fine but the immersiveness was beyond distracting.  It felt chaotic and unfocused.  I would enjoy it if it was restaged in a proscenium or thrust stage.  Aspects of Love was STUNNING.  The critics didn’t like the seediness of the material but the actual production was exquisite.  I love that score. Beautiful performances.  

Dylan Smith4
#382024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/11/24 at 9:51pm

Broadway Flash said: "My opinion is not really a dissenting view. I thought guys and dolls was fine but the immersiveness was beyond distracting. It felt chaotic and unfocused. I would enjoy it if it was restaged in a proscenium or thrust stage. Aspects of Love was STUNNING. The critics didn’t like the seediness of the material but the actual production was exquisite. I love that score. Beautiful performances."

Um, yeah they kind of are, dude! You barely have anyone agreeing with some of the things you have said. Most of the time, it's just complete and utter nonsense and have nothing to back them on. The performances in Aspects were great, yes, but other than that, the show was flat-out dull, confusing, and creepy in some cases. For Guys & Dolls, I don't EVER wanna see another production unless it's in the round like at the Bridge. I've watched pro shots of other versions and while they were great, the immersiveness of the current production in London works so much better. It makes the whole story more fun and interactive. The Brits know how to do immersive theatre. Americans should take note!

Broadway Flash
#392024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/12/24 at 8:13am

Hadestown is a revival lol

Jordan Catalano
#402024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/12/24 at 8:28am

Why is that funny? Until today, its placement wasn’t really known. 

Broadway Flash
#412024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/12/24 at 8:54am

It’s the same thing as before.  Even Groundhog Day I wouldn’t consider a revival. It’s a remount. 

Dylan Smith4
#422024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/12/24 at 9:16am

Broadway Flash said: "It’s the same thing as before. Even Groundhog Day I wouldn’t consider a revival. It’s a remount."

Revival & Remount are pretty much the same thing!

Dylan Smith4
#432024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/12/24 at 9:31am

Full Nominations List

Sunset Blvd. Leads the pack with 11 Nominations!

KevinKlawitter
#442024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/12/24 at 9:49am

Dylan Smith4 said: "Full Nominations List

Sunset Blvd. Leads the pack with 11 Nominations!
"

Stranger Things didn't show up in as many places as I expected, given the reception.  Same with Hadestown and A Strange Loop.  And did Branagh's Lear get totally blanked, or wasn't it eligible?

At any rate, congrats to Sunset Blvd on its half dozen or so wins.  Curious if The Motive and the Cue or Dear England do better in the play categories.

Jordan Catalano
#452024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/12/24 at 9:54am

I’d put my money on “Dear England”.

two ladies tickets
#462024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/12/24 at 10:11am

I was surprised The Witches didn't get any design nominations. And I was also surprised that The Motive and the Cue didn't get acting nominations for Johnny Flynn or Tuppence Middleton. I suppose it also would've been nice to see some design nominations for Motive, the sets may look simple, but the design is very elegant and the costume designer had no small task of re-creating actual people that actually existed. 
I'm sure we will see Dear England on Broadway very soon, but I'm wondering now, if maybe we're less likely to see Motive if it doesn't win best play? 

lopside
#472024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/12/24 at 10:15am

I thought Motive was more or less confirmed? Anyways, it has Mendes' name, so it shouldn't have a problem really. 

yyys
#482024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/12/24 at 10:43am

great to see all the Operation Mincemeat nominations!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#492024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/12/24 at 10:59am

I haven't heard anything recently about MOTIVE and DEAR ENGLAND transfers, but MOTIVE seems more likely based on subject matter. "Acclaimed actors playing pop culture legends" vs "British Football Play." MOTIVE also has the Mendes factor + a slightly smaller cast (19 vs 25).

Videos