pixeltracker

Itmar Moses' THE ALLY at the Public

Itmar Moses' THE ALLY at the Public

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#1Itmar Moses' THE ALLY at the Public
Posted: 2/15/24 at 2:36pm

From the Public's website:

"Tony Award-winning playwright Itamar Moses (The Band’s Visit) returns to The Public with the world premiere of THE ALLY, a fierce drama that gives voice to some of the most contentious and important questions of our time.

When college professor Asaf (Josh Radnor) is asked by a student to sign a social justice manifesto, what seems at first like a simple choice instead embroils him in an increasingly complex web of conflicting agendas that challenge his allegiances as a progressive, a husband, an artist, an academic, an American, an atheist, and a Jew. With tensions at an all-time high, Asaf is forced to confront the age-old question: “If I am only for myself, what am I?”

Directed by Drama Desk Award winner Lila Neugebauer (The Wolves), THE ALLY is a passionate, provocative, and unflinching new play about the vanishing line between the personal and the political."

Previews begin tonight, and a running time of 2 hours and 45 minutes is listed.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#2Itmar Moses' THE ALLY at the Public
Posted: 2/15/24 at 3:44pm

Won tickets to the free performance tonight. SUPER excited. I will say that I'm a bit worried about the runtime. 2:45 seems like a long time for this, but we'll see. I'll definitely report back because I have a feeling there will be a lot to chew on. 

BIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
#3Itmar Moses' THE ALLY at the Public
Posted: 2/15/24 at 9:27pm

I lasted to the intermission and felt like I was in a long debate on one of those cable stations. It's not for everyone and I decided to pack it in.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#4Itmar Moses' THE ALLY at the Public
Posted: 2/16/24 at 2:22am

I said there would be a lot to chew on and I was very right about that. My friend I was with has an early flight and had to head home as soon as we got out. But, we could've gone for a three course sit-down meal where we only talked about this show and I still don't think we'd be done discussing it. I need to get other people to see it mostly so that I can dissect it with them. I occasionally wonder about a career theatre criticism and it's shows like this that make me wish I had a professional outlet for dissecting and sharing thoughts. It's the type of show where it would be difficult to assign a star rating or grade it because my thoughts are so complex. It also feels daunting to go first here. I am not used to having almost no clue how other people felt about something. But, I promised thoughts, so here they are. 

Structure-wise, the play is mostly a series of conversations between Josh Radnor's character Asaf, a lefty Berkeley-born Israeli-American professor, and various people in his life in the lead up to and fallout from his signing of a social justice manifest that he agrees with "99%," but includes an inflammatory paragraph about Israel seemingly unrelated to the rest of its content. Conversations might be a bit of an overstatement though. Everybody gets their time to speak here, but it's more monologuing back and forth than it is actual conversations. 

I found the first act to be very effective and it definitely drew me in. It sets up the manifesto well (it was written by Asaf's ex and is championed by a favorite student of his) as well as his reservations and the multitudes of viewpoints regarding Israel/Palestine surrounding him. I loved the overlapping scene transitions that created a great flow.  It was also VERY funny. Like Asaf (and presumably Itamar Moses) I am a Bay Area Jew who did Jewish youth group and summer camp where you go into the woods and sing hippy Jewish songs. There was a whole discussion of that brand of Judaism and I couldn't keep it together because it was so accurate. 

The second act got off to a fiery start that will definitely both invigorate and piss off anyone with strongly held views on Israel/Palestine (in any direction). It brings up some very complex and interesting ideas, but then it just falls apart. It gets where Moses wants to go and there were still a lot of interesting ideas, but there is so much that happens that just felt so strange and out of place. There was some shockingly bad decisions made here. Characters have a sudden changes in their characterizations, they make very strange choices, and a police brutality plot kinda hijacks the story. It had been the original impetus for the creation of the manifesto and a march was set up as something occuring in the near future. But, then it basically disappeared for most of the show. Once it returns deep into the second act, the play seems to forget it was about Israel/Palestine. That shift comes right after an argument about Jews' and Antisemitism's exclusion from social justice circles and that made the shift even more jarring. Then suddenly his wife is fired for... reasons... Then she's leaving him for... more reasons... and it was just a mess. 

My single biggest complaint that I think just needs to be fixed is that, for no apparent reason, the last scene is set on a Saturday in October, 2023. That means that it has to be either on or after October 7th, but there is no mention of 10/7 or the war in Gaza. It seems like such a missed opportunity, but also something that would be easy to avoid altogether. Was there subtext I was missing? Because it seems that you could change maybe 2 lines in the show or just change the setting from 2023 to 2022 in the Playbill and this issue goes away. I'm curious why Moses felt the need to set it then. 

Back to the some closing positives, I thought this cast was amazing. Radnor did such a great job oscillating between this very quiet and reserved guy taking beating after beating and someone who can stand up for himself and throw it right back. Asaf's views could be summed up as a lot of individual little strongly held opinions that exist in an amorphous cloud that doesn't resemble a distinct ideology. Radnor does a great job navigating the nebulousness of his character. The supporting cast was very strong too with the standout being Cherise Boothe. She had great chemistry with Radnor as both Nakia and the Rabbi. 

Overall, I think this is one people will just need to see for themselves. There is so much going on that it's hard to convey things in this format and I feel like this was much more for me to get it out than for anyone to read. I'm curious what others think, though! 

spicemonkey
#5Itmar Moses' THE ALLY at the Public
Posted: 2/16/24 at 2:41pm

BIG BALONEY said: "I lasted to the intermission and felt like I was in a long debate on one of those cable stations. It's not for everyone and I decided to pack it in."

I am really looking forward to seeing this because I generally enjoy serious plays. May I ask does the play contain strong opinion for one side and against another. I would love to see a thought provoking piece instead of being fed with something overly cooked. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#6Itmar Moses' THE ALLY at the Public
Posted: 2/20/24 at 1:25pm

spicemonkey said: "BIG BALONEY said: "I lasted to the intermission and felt like I was in a long debate on one of those cable stations. It's not for everyone and I decided to pack it in."

I am really looking forward to seeing this because I generally enjoy serious plays. May I ask does the play contain strong opinion for one side and against another. I would love to see a thought provoking piece instead of being fed with something overly cooked.
"

You will definitley be full-throttle exposed to several different perspectives on the I/P conflict. Moses does not hold back from including multiple perspectives and, for the most part, each of those perspectives is treated with respect by him (although definitley not by the characters). The show has a message, but the message is not picking a side in the conflict. The show is called The Ally for a reason and the message of the show comes back to allyship in the end. 

InTheBathroom1
#7Itmar Moses' THE ALLY at the Public
Posted: 2/22/24 at 10:36am

I saw this last night and thought it was quite good.  Really engaging throughout its 2 hr 45 min runtime.  It’s honestly an overwhelming experience and I felt quite exhausted by the end, but in a good way.  The production does not endorse any single viewpoint but presents all of the arguments in a way that makes you really sit and wrestle with the viewpoints.  My breath was held for nearly half of the show and it felt like the rest of the audience was right there with me.  

I think they fixed many of the issues that jkcohen mentioned, because I don’t remember a lot of that ending happening (she’s not fired, they don’t get a divorce) and the police brutality plot is a little more present throughout the play.  As for the setting, I think it just sets up that the play has to take place before October of 2023–it doesn’t need to take place exactly then, but after that time, the play wouldn’t necessarily work the same. And the more recent setting, makes it feel more pressing/relevant.

Also, I must say Josh Radnor is running an incredible marathon in his performance.  He does not leave the stage for nearly all 3 hours of the play.  He spouts arguments, takes verbal lashings, and then is required to be completely vulnerable in the end.  It’s quite something to behold.  Go see it if you can!

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#9Itmar Moses' THE ALLY at the Public
Posted: 2/25/24 at 9:29am

Curious about this...looks like they cut 10 min out of it as the website now lists running time at 2hr 35.   

Anyone catch it recently?   I think it opens this week

forfivemoreminutes
#10Itmar Moses' THE ALLY at the Public
Posted: 2/29/24 at 8:42pm

What are the odds of this extending another week to March 31? I'm in NYC the last week of March (starting March 27) and I'd love to catch this before it closes, but I only have one show slot left! Should I hold off on buying a ticket to something else and try to catch this one?

PipingHotPiccolo
#11Itmar Moses' THE ALLY at the Public
Posted: 2/29/24 at 8:47pm

VernonGersch said: "Curious about this...looks like they cut 10 min out of it as the website now lists running time at 2hr 35.

Anyone catch it recently? I think it opens this week
"

Sara Holdren raved about this in Vulture, but i havent seen any other reviews? Still they extended it a few weeks and it looks pretty much sold out. 

MemorableUserName
#12Itmar Moses' THE ALLY at the Public
Posted: 2/29/24 at 9:24pm

https://www.playbill.com/article/reviews-what-do-critics-think-of-the-public-theaters-world-premiere-of-the-ally

They seem mixed to positive. Green in NYT is mixed. Two three-star reviews from NY Stage Review. The Wrap calls it an instant classic. Theatrely is positive.

Videos