Donny Osmond returning to JOSEPH

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1Donny Osmond returning to JOSEPH
Posted: 2/21/24 at 9:14am

Why?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

CJRochester
#2Donny Osmond returning to JOSEPH
Posted: 2/21/24 at 9:37am

In what role? ;) 

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#3Donny Osmond returning to JOSEPH
Posted: 2/21/24 at 9:45am

CJRochester said: "In what role? ;)"

The Pharaoh

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#4Donny Osmond returning to JOSEPH
Posted: 2/21/24 at 9:57am

Pray that he does not remove any garments!

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#5Donny Osmond returning to JOSEPH
Posted: 2/21/24 at 10:04am

The Cathy Rigby of Egypt.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#6Donny Osmond returning to JOSEPH
Posted: 2/21/24 at 10:10am

TotallyEffed said: "The Cathy Rigbyof Egypt."

^^^THIS. THIS is the reason these message boards were created. My desk is now covered in coffee from a great laugh. Thanks so much!

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Broadway61004
#7Donny Osmond returning to JOSEPH
Posted: 2/21/24 at 10:12am

TotallyEffed said: "The Cathy Rigbyof Egypt."

Was literally just about to say maybe Cathy Rigby could come play the narrator 🤣

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#8Donny Osmond returning to JOSEPH
Posted: 2/21/24 at 10:14am

jacobtsf said: "CJRochester said: "In what role? ;)"

The Pharaoh
"

At least he has the good sense to graduate on to another role, albeit one that he's not quite right for...that (among other things) differentiates him from Cathy Rigby, Carol Channing, Yul Brynner, etc.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#9Donny Osmond returning to JOSEPH
Posted: 2/21/24 at 10:40am

fashionguru_23 said: "TotallyEffed said: "The Cathy Rigbyof Egypt."

^^^THIS. THIS is the reason these message boards were created. My desk is now covered in coffee from a great laugh. Thanks so much!
"

Hope the cleanup isn't too bad! :)

Ceej
#10Donny Osmond returning to JOSEPH
Posted: 2/21/24 at 10:42am

yesJennifer Holiday likes this

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#11Donny Osmond returning to JOSEPH
Posted: 2/21/24 at 3:20pm

Were people this critical when Jason Donovan played Pharaoh in the same production at the Palladium?

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#12Donny Osmond returning to JOSEPH
Posted: 2/21/24 at 4:02pm

Not to my recollection; it's only happening this time because people are ignoring the precious few pointing out he's playing Pharaoh for the sake of a punchline. (I'm just shocked no Ted Neeley references have been made yet.)

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

CurtisTaylorJr2 Profile Photo
CurtisTaylorJr2
#13Donny Osmond returning to JOSEPH
Posted: 2/21/24 at 4:15pm

Why? Money. He's one of those people who is always going to stay booked doing something.

Fosse76
#14Donny Osmond returning to JOSEPH
Posted: 2/21/24 at 5:09pm

I don't really get the criticism. He played Joseph 2000 times over a five-year period in one production nearly 30 years ago. It's not like he's spent his life doing this one role/show. And he's not coming back into the lead role. How many times do people on this board dreamcast actors who originate one role in a show return to that show in another role? 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#15Donny Osmond returning to JOSEPH
Posted: 2/21/24 at 5:38pm

CurtisTaylorJr2 said: "Why? Money. He's one of those people who is always going to stay booked doing something."

if he was doing this in the West End, then the money thing makes sense. But this is in Edinburgh, so the paycheck probably is nothing grand. it also doesn't mention how long the run is.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#16Donny Osmond returning to JOSEPH
Posted: 2/21/24 at 6:48pm

Fosse76 said: "I don't really get the criticism. He played Joseph 2000 times over a five-year period in one productionnearly 30 years ago.It's not like he's spent his life doing this one role/show. Andhe's not coming back into the lead role. How many times do people on this board dreamcast actors who originate one role in a show return to that show in another role?"

Exactly. It's far less ridiculous than when Glen Close played Norma Desmond again and could barely hit any correct notes.