News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/2/24 at 2:44pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 3/31/2024 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: SPAMALOT (10.8%), WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (9.6%), BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL (9.1%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (8.8%), KIMBERLY AKIMBO (8.2%), DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES (6.6%), MJ THE MUSICAL (6.4%), THE WHO'S TOMMY (5.1%), SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET (5%), A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (4.1%), & JULIET (3.6%), THE LION KING (2.8%), CHICAGO (2.4%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (2.3%), HAMILTON (2%), ALADDIN (2%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (1.2%), SIX (1.2%), WICKED (0.9%), THE OUTSIDERS (0.7%), LEMPICKA (0.1%), HADESTOWN (0.1%), DOUBT: A PARABLE (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE (-0.2%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/2/24 at 2:47pm

Pretty decent week all around thanks to Spring Break but especially good for Water For Elephants! Definitely the most impressive performance of the newbies.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/2/24 at 2:48pm

Great attendance. And wow for Enemy of the People. 

gibsons2
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/2/24 at 2:49pm

The spring break effect is in full swing. I think this week will be even better. 

BdwyFan
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/2/24 at 2:50pm

Wow, The Wiz! $941k for 4 performances.  Impressive. 

chrishuyen
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/2/24 at 2:58pm

A lot of sold out/close to sold out shows this week, which is fantastic, but sad for Wine and Roses to be closing on such an empty house.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/2/24 at 3:02pm

Most of the newbies have been on life support for months. Shame. 

Oh look, a bibu!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/2/24 at 3:05pm

Easter Weekend probably resulted in a lot of people doing 3-day weekends in the city.

Incredibly strong starts for THE WIZ and HELL'S KITCHEN, nice bumps for ELEPHANTS and TOMMY, and a lower-than-before-but-still-good return for APPROPRIATE. 

The producers behind SUFFS, HEART/ROCK, and LEMPICKA should be very nervous right now. All are costly shows and have had long roads to Broadway.

Updated On: 4/2/24 at 03:05 PM

BdwyFan
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/2/24 at 3:07pm

Let’s remember. Most if not all of these new musicals cost ~$1M “all in” for 8 performances when you consider 1) theater rent percentage and 2) royalties.  These are added to “weekly operating costs”.  People forget these 2 items when talking about “breakeven” or “ weekly nut”. So most likely none are breaking even. Yet. 

BorisTomashevsky
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/2/24 at 3:10pm

Lempicka must be really heavily comped. With those numbers they’ll be sweating for sure. 

BETTY22
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/2/24 at 3:16pm

I hope the producers of Lempicka, Suffs and Rock are ready to fight.

This season has been brutal to new musicals. 

Congrats to Elephants - NYT Critic Pix still means something. 

singer234
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/2/24 at 3:19pm

Wow, good for The Wiz and Water for Elephants. Was not expecting W4E to do as well as it is, and I’m eating my hat.

Those Gatsby numbers for only 2 performances are also pretty great.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/2/24 at 3:28pm

I just hope Cabaret becomes the next long runner and makes fascinating choices for stunt casting. 

Oh look, a bibu!

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/2/24 at 3:34pm

singer234 said: "Those Gatsby numbers for only 2 performances are also pretty great."

Missed that one! Yes, indeed. Wonder how their advance looks...this could be extremely frontloaded, but the show's advertising/digital presence has been quite strong.

Mr.Liir
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/2/24 at 3:45pm

Heart of Rock and Roll had two performances. Not saying Producers shouldn't be nervous - I think everyone is, but two shows counting toward grosses aren't really an indicator of anything.

Phantom4ever
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/2/24 at 4:16pm

Does it seem like there are more houses full of shows this spring than usual? 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/2/24 at 4:21pm

Mr.Liir said: "Heart of Rock and Roll had two performances. Not saying Producers shouldn't be nervous - I think everyone is, but two shows counting toward grosses aren't really an indicator of anything."

Obviously we've seen shows start off worse and go on to be hugely successful, but considering the national press appearances by Huey Lewis and the company (somewhat rare for a Broadway show ahead of previews), there's no way to spin this as anything but a bad start. They'll have to get that $72 average price up quickly.

bigbelterbaby
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/2/24 at 4:22pm

Out of interest, I looked at the ticket blocks for all the new musicals coming in, Heart of Rock N Roll is currently selling tickets through January 5th, 2025, way longer than any other musical. 

Suffs and Outsiders have the shortest blocks, only selling currently through September 1st. 

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/2/24 at 5:12pm

Phantom4ever said: "Does it seem like there are more houses full of shows this spring than usual?"

I'm not going to comb through data but this seems like a completely normal number of houses filled. 3 houses are dark right now, and 2 of those 3 are being renovated.

We have a few more shows opening than usual this spring. This is due to a backlog of shows, a decrease in the number of recent shows having a "long" run (only 6 shows that opened in the 2021-22 season and the 22-23 season are still running, and 3 have closing dates), and scheduling coincidences.

Updated On: 4/2/24 at 05:12 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/2/24 at 5:16pm

bigbelterbaby said: "Out of interest, I looked at the ticket blocks for all the new musicals coming in, Heart of Rock N Roll is currently selling tickets through January 5th, 2025, way longer than any other musical.

Suffs and Outsiders have theshortest blocks, only selling currently through September 1st.
"

There is a belief that it can help group sales to have tix on sale for 8+ months in advance, because a lot of groups plan early. It doesn't hurt holiday weeks either...if you're planning a Thanksgiving trip to the city, some people might try to buy now.

Shows putting tix on sale for only ~6 months in advance may be trying to push people into early performances or make a fanfare out of a "new block of tix" announcement.

Neither makes a massive difference in the long run, it's just a personal preference by the producer & GM.

Updated On: 4/2/24 at 05:16 PM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/3/24 at 1:07am

Phantom4ever said: "Does it seem like there are more houses full of shows this spring than usual?"

I thought so as well given a high number of shows starting previews last week and this week. From BWW grosses, there were 32 shows last week. A year ago that same week (week 13), there were 31 shows.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/grossesbyweek.cfm?week=13

uncamark
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/24
Posted: 4/3/24 at 11:34am

EDSOSLO858 said: "Most of the newbies have been on life support for months. Shame."

Titles please?

Videos