Christopher Durang Dead at 75

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#1Christopher Durang Dead at 75
Posted: 4/3/24 at 9:27am

Per the NYTimes:

Christopher Durang, a Tony Award-winning playwright and a master satirist, died Tuesday night at his home in Pipersville, Pa., in Bucks County. He was 75.

His agent, Patrick Herold, said the cause was complications of aphasia. In 2016, Mr. Durang was found to have a rare form of dementia, logopenic primary progressive aphasia. The diagnosis was made public in 2022.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/3/24 at 09:27 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2Christopher Durang Dead at 75
Posted: 4/3/24 at 9:29am

Ugh, what a shame. Dementia is perhaps the cruelest way for a creative person to go.

A great playwright, and I'm glad he finally got his flowers with VANYA & SONIA. It'll make LCT's benefit performance of it in May even more poignant.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#3Christopher Durang Dead at 75
Posted: 4/3/24 at 11:34am

To think of that mind being felled by dementia hurts more than the actual death announcement. 

He was the most important playwright in my development as an actor and this is just too gutting. 

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#4Christopher Durang Dead at 75
Posted: 4/3/24 at 12:21pm

What a shame to lose such a talent.  LOVED his shows - Sister Mary Ignatius, Baby With The Bathwater, Laughing Wild, The Marriage of Bette and Boo, Beyond Therapy, and so many more. One of the funniest things I've ever seen is "Wanda's Visit", which was originally written for the PBS series Trying Times. The terrific cast also included Swoosie Kurtz, Jeff Daniels, Julie Hagerty and Christopher as The Waiter. Do yourself a 27-minute favor and check it out if you haven't seen it.

The Visit on YouTube

Updated On: 4/3/24 at 12:21 PM

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#5Christopher Durang Dead at 75
Posted: 4/3/24 at 12:26pm

I’ve never laughed so much as I did at BETTY’S SUMMER VACATION. A singular, brilliant talent. RIP. 

SonofRobbieJ
#6Christopher Durang Dead at 75
Posted: 4/3/24 at 12:39pm

He wrote a short play spoof on The Glass Menagerie called For Whom the Southern Belle Tolls that is so stupid and wonderful. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#7Christopher Durang Dead at 75
Posted: 4/3/24 at 12:41pm

SonofRobbieJ said: "He wrote a short play spoof on The Glass Menagerie called For Whom the Southern Belle Tolls that is so stupid and wonderful."

Oh god yes- with the menagerie swapped out for glass swizzle sticks. It’s ludicrous but I can now never think about it whenever I see another production of Menagerie.  

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

SonofRobbieJ
#8Christopher Durang Dead at 75
Posted: 4/3/24 at 12:53pm

I got to work on it in college (I got to work on A LOT of Durang in college...he was second to Stoppard in terms of living playwrights with whom we were obsessed). I really was a fetching Lawrence. The explanation for why the feminine caller referred to him at 'Blue Roses' still f*cking kills me. 

berniesb!tch
#9Christopher Durang Dead at 75
Posted: 4/3/24 at 3:13pm

One time in college my playwrighting teacher compared my play to Christopher Durang and I consider it to be one of the highest compliments I've ever gotten.  He was truly singular. A comedic force. He will be greatly missed!

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#10Christopher Durang Dead at 75
Posted: 4/3/24 at 4:58pm

One of my favorites! I am sure he will spice things up in the afterlife. RIP

verywellthensigh
#11Christopher Durang Dead at 75
Posted: 4/3/24 at 8:00pm

How incredibly sad.  His angry/hilarious plays like Sister Mary Ignatius Explains It All For You and Baby With the Bathwater were so ahead of their time.  When I first saw South Park, the first thing I thought was "This reminds me of Durang". 

AEA AGMA SM
#12Christopher Durang Dead at 75
Posted: 4/4/24 at 12:00am

SonofRobbieJ said: "He wrote a short play spoof on The Glass Menagerie called For Whom the Southern Belle Tolls that is so stupid and wonderful."

He also wrote a Streetcar parody called Desire, Desire, Desire. It’s been a long time since I’ve read it, but I remember Stanley constantly throwing beers in Blanche's face, Big Daddy coming in looking for peanut brittle, and at the end Harvey the Rabbit shows up and Blanche makes a comment about how it must have been a lean year when that play won the Pulitzer.

Sending best wishes to his husband, John Augustine. Dementia is not an easy way to go, and is equally hard on those closest to the sufferer.