News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals

Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#1Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/4/24 at 3:22pm

He’s so popular in Japan, Jekyll and Hyde has been running for 21 years over there.  He’s now written three musicals based on manga that are coming west; Death Note, Your Lie in April, and Fist of the North Star.  Coming to Broadway very soon!!

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#2Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/4/24 at 5:50pm

The problem with Wildhorn musicals is that if you don't have voices like Linda Eder's, the show falls flat.

The book is usually....  Lacking.

The lyrics are campy, but questionable.

The voice has to be spectacular enough to make up for all of it.

And Eder's is.

KevinKlawitter
#3Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/4/24 at 5:54pm

I'm just wondering if there's been any effort into adapting the anime film Belle from 2021 to the stage. It's literally a musical, so you'd think it'd be a natural fit, unless the issue is finding ways to distinguish between the real world and the social media world on stage.

Broadway Flash
#4Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/4/24 at 6:55pm

Adam Pascal played Ryuk in Death Note in a staged concert in London last year.  The show got great reviews, the music all sounds like classic Frank Wildhorn with epic rock tunes and power ballads galore.  I’m so happy for him, it seems like this source material is a perfect fit for him.  I think these shows will be on Broadway sooner than we think. 

Zeppie2022
#5Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/9/24 at 5:11pm

Would love for one of his musicals on Broadway to actually be a hit.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#6Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/9/24 at 7:20pm

I saw “Your Lie in April” tonight. I couldn’t have hated it anymore than I did. My problem with Wildhorn shows is usually never Wildhorn’s music but everything else and this was no different. The book and lyrics (lyrics especially) seemed to be written by a 7th grader doing an assignment for their theater class at summer camp . In the audience I was clearly in the minority because the amount of sobbing all around me bordered on eye-rolling and “Look at me I’m CRYING”. And I’m a sap - I’ll cry at anything but I just wanted to get out of there.

I enjoyed “Death Note” enough to go and read more about it and watch the stuff on Netflix but this, and trust me I’m familiar with his shows, was (again, to ME) the worst musical he’s ever worked on. 

Updated On: 7/9/24 at 07:20 PM

Broadway Flash
#7Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/9/24 at 7:26pm

Do you mean Death Note?  Frank Wildhorn said it’s soon getting a full production in London and soon followed by Your Lie in April, so I don’t even think they’re considering this a full production, but a tryout.  And he said they will go to ny afterwards.  And he also said Your Lie in April was the most popular one, but I think he’s probably talking about Japanese audiences

GottaGetAGimmick420
#8Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/9/24 at 7:35pm

I caught this yesterday while in town and loved it. But of course I've watched the original anime. I think these are two of Frank's best scores.

I'm just here so I don't get fined

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#9Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/9/24 at 7:36pm

Yes, “Death Note” (edited my response above).

This production of “Your Lie” is a full production. Fully staged, it’s not a concert. 

Broadway Flash
#10Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/9/24 at 7:47pm

During rehearsals for Your Lie in April, “I would bet the house that death note will be here very soon as a full production and followed closely by this one, no question, and then coming to New York.”  Frank Wildhorn.  It doesn’t sound like they think it’s a full production.  

charlie525600
#11Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/9/24 at 8:04pm

"Your Lie in April" received a concert production in the spring. The new west end run is indeed a full production.

I also echo the above sentiments that it was rather dreadful. I hated it - forgettable music, absurd book. That said, I was impressed with Mia Kobayashi in her professional debut. She is clearly going places, hopefully among them better musicals.

Broadway Flash
#12Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/9/24 at 8:37pm

He made it seem like Death Note was the first one and I think it will be the first one coming to ny. 

Zeppie2022
#13Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/9/24 at 10:32pm

"I saw “Your Lie in April” tonight. I couldn’t have hated it anymore than I did. My problem with Wildhorn shows is usually never Wildhorn’s music but everything else and this was no different. The book and lyrics (lyrics especially) seemed to be written by a 7th grader doing an assignment for their theater class at summer camp"

Very sad to read your thoughts on this show Jordan. Just curious, how did you like "Bonny & Clyde"?

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#14Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/9/24 at 11:08pm

I’ve seen it as well. It’s bad bad. Anybody who thinks this is/hopes this will go to Broadway…well I clearly won’t convince you. It’s Reddit musical fan hell. 

Broadway Flash
#15Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/9/24 at 11:26pm

Well maybe they’ll keep working on it, didn’t it just begin anyway?  this is not the first one coming to New York, Death Note is which got good reviews.  It sounds like Sondheim and eurovision and Matilda and Anastasia 

BroadwayNYC2
#16Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/9/24 at 11:27pm

It is actually none of that. Hope that helps! 

(And why would anyone want to compare themselves to Anastasia) 

Updated On: 7/9/24 at 11:27 PM

Broadway Flash
#17Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/9/24 at 11:32pm

I’m talking about DEATH NOTE sounding like those things which it certainly does.  I have no idea about April, I haven’t heard any of the music but the concept album of Death Note is fabulous

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#18Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/9/24 at 11:36pm

Saw "Your Lie In April" last week. If you liked "The Notebook", you'll love this one. Rom-com heaven. Reminded me of Gatsby. Every song is belted to the nth degree. But unfortunately, there's no Linda Eder in the cast. Trite and sappy. Ugh.

BroadwayNYC2
#19Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/10/24 at 12:02am

“Reminded me of Gatsby” is the opposite of a selling point. 

Broadway Flash
#20Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/16/24 at 12:29pm

OMG that first song reminds me of Pasek and Paul’s A Million Dreams from the Greatest Showman.  Does Frank Wildhorn have a case of Lloyd Webber syndrome??  Even Death Note reminds me of so many other songs 

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#21Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/16/24 at 6:13pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "“Reminded me of Gatsby” is the opposite of a selling point."

Yeah…that’s why I mentioned Gatsby. 

but what do I know …. I hated Oh Mary and the new drag Cats. 

Broadway Flash
#22Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/30/24 at 4:14pm

Closing early, so sad!  August 11th final performance.  I wonder what this means for Broadway 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#23Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/30/24 at 4:37pm

It was easily the shoddiest show of my West End trip. They couldn’t sell tickets to save their life - even though I bought in advance, I was getting TodayTix notifications that all seats for the Sunday matinee were going down as low as £18 in the stalls.

It seemed like an interesting concept on paper, but it ultimately was a massive misfire for me. None of this was the fault of the performers, who did the best with very, very bad materials (and the leading actress was performing for the first time as an emergency cover). Ultimately, while the score was well-orchestrated and the set design was nice to look at, the book and lyrics were basically the skeleton of a YA novel with a bookish male lead, a manic pixie dream girl,  and more plot holes than actual plot. There was absolutely nothing there that moved me and I even audibly groaned at some EXTREMELY hacky lines.

This one is going in the bin unless they decide to revisit it.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

BroadwayNYC2
#24Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/30/24 at 4:37pm

It means nothing because it was never happening. 

Broadway Flash
#25Frank Wildhorn’s manga musicals
Posted: 7/30/24 at 5:29pm

That’s not what Frank Wildhorn said 

Videos