pixeltracker

Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?

Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?

#0Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/4/04 at 7:55am

imdb.com

Kevin Smith has hailed actor Ben Affleck's singing skills in upcoming movie Jersey Girl, and believes the screen star would be perfect for a stage musical.

Affleck and on-screen girlfriend Liv Tyler break into song together in a production of Sweeney Todd in the film - and Smith insists neither star mimed.

He says, "That's really them singing. Considering her lineage, it wasn't surprising that Liv (daughter of Aerosmith rocker Steven Tyler) has great pipes. But Affleck's the shocker. If they ever revive Starlight Express, he should strap on some skates and take to the stage."

Faith2 Profile Photo
Faith2
#1re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/4/04 at 8:21am

First of all, my apologies to any Ben Affleck fans out there...but my response to 'Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd'...is Oh My God, I HOPE NOT!!!! (Is there a 'shock' smilie on here)? :-O

He may have a brilliant singing voice, but IMO, he has been over exposed, and frankly I am sick of him!!!!!! Also, IMO, I hope he sings better than he acts!

There is a curious paradox that no one can explain; Who understands the secret of the reaping of the grain, Who understands why spring is born out of winter's laboring pain, Or why we all must die a bit before we grow again. -from "The Fantasticks"

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
#2re: re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/4/04 at 8:34am

My thoughts are "Broadway let alone Sondheim getting exposure in a movie? Holy Cow!" That is the extent of my thoughts "for now"

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...

WOSQ
#3re: re: re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/4/04 at 10:13am

Charo makes a brief appearance as the Beggar Woman....

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Dollypop
#4re: re: re: re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/4/04 at 10:28am

A REAL singer has to play Sweeney Todd. Kelsey Grammer can "sing" but he was dreadful in the role, so I've been told.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

krisjoseph Profile Photo
krisjoseph
#5re: re: re: re: re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/4/04 at 10:44am

I agree 100%. *Any* production of Sweeney Todd walks on a razor's edge. I've seen it a few times "live" now, and it's always been bad. The material is always fighting to get out in spite of the performances; the show needs impeccable performers in the lead roles and VERY firm directorial hand, or it fails, utterly. I honestly believe the role of Sweeney is the "Hamlet" of musical theatre: everybody wants to try; few have the chops. The same can be said, in a way, of many of the other leads - especially Mrs Lovett.

I fear for the potential film version that Sam Mendes is looking at; I think the material will have to be adapted, rather than translated, in order to work.

Did anyone hear see Bryn Terfel when he performed the role in Chicago in 2002? I heard good things... and apparently he's doing it again with the Los Angeles Opera in 2005?

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#6re: re: re: re: re: re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/4/04 at 12:15pm

I heard some of the radio broadcast from London and it just didn't work for me with opera singers performing the material. The characters are completely sacrificed for the legit opera voices. The show sounded completely devoid of personality and emotion. I'd rather see a good actor with a weaker voice perform the show than a strong singer with little acting ability.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/4/04 at 12:39pm

Mister Matt - I am torn on the issue you bring up. I am really looking forward to the production I am seeing here next week. I worry that the voices may be too operatic and that the acting may be sparse, but I know that Elaine is amazing and is first and foremost a Theatre actor. A friend who is working on the show says that they are all great - so I am trusting his judgement and really looking forward to it. But I agree that I'd rather see a show with actors who can sing over Singers who barely act.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

~*Triple Star On Broadway*~ Profile Photo
~*Triple Star On Broadway*~
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/4/04 at 1:02pm

I swear I'm going to start breaking into tears if this Ben Affleck thing is finalized. And they WILL NOT be happy tears.

You've gotta have heart AND music

#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/4/04 at 1:11pm

Personally, I think everyone, instead of breaking into tears or pounding the floor in indignation, should find it wonderful that Kevin Smith choose a Sondheim show at all!

He could have put anything in there…another composer entirely…. instead he choose this…and that’s very good news…

Maybe Smith has gone “Broadway” on us….

Next thing ya know, he starts casting his next film and before ya know it, BOOM, we get the pleasure of seeing Karen Ziemba or Ann Reinking in a 60 foot close-up!

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/4/04 at 1:18pm

Kris, I saw Terfel twice. It was his first Sweeney and he was very good. I agree with some of the vocals not being fit for operatic voices, but Sweeny is not one. You need the strength to pull it off. The same can be said for Johanna, Anthony, Beedle and Perrelli. Mrs. Lovett does not sound right with an operatic voice, and really needs the comic ability of a singing actor.

PEACE.

RobbO Profile Photo
RobbO
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/4/04 at 1:37pm

c'mon kids, obvioulsy kevin smith is kidding.

"...But Affleck's the shocker. If they ever revive Starlight Express, he should strap on some skates and take to the stage."

that's just smith's sense of humour - why else would he pick starlight express.

XING
PED

sharon1
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/4/04 at 1:58pm

Please tell me this is a joke. A very bad joke. Right?????

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/4/04 at 2:04pm

Nope!!! Jennifer Lopez will be playing Mrs. Lovett!

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/4/04 at 2:06pm

now THAT is one idea that is ahead of it's time...you silly Kangarooman

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

Faith2 Profile Photo
Faith2
#15re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/4/04 at 3:11pm

joeyjoe, you are too funny re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?

There is a curious paradox that no one can explain; Who understands the secret of the reaping of the grain, Who understands why spring is born out of winter's laboring pain, Or why we all must die a bit before we grow again. -from "The Fantasticks"

WhatDoINeedWithLove?
#16re: re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/4/04 at 3:15pm

that would be awful...even if he had a great voice he cant act

johny0828 Profile Photo
johny0828
#17re: re: re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/4/04 at 11:04pm

please no. did anyone seehim in gilgi. it the worst movie!

Plum
#18re: re: re: re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/5/04 at 12:09am

Heehee. I'm not taking this seriously. Even if Affleck has a great voice, he's so completely unsuited for Sweeney Todd it's ridiculous.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#19re: re: re: re: re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/5/04 at 8:36am

I could see him playing Anthony. Not Todd though.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/5/04 at 4:16pm

I think he's perfect for the character who gets his tooth pulled by Sweeney.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

WindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
#21re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/5/04 at 4:35pm

Isn't he reportedly losing his hair? Maybe as Perelli's potential customer that gets the tonic (piss with ink) rubbed into his scalp?

Love Ben....he's so pretty...but I've never found him sexy. Ya know "just wanna rip of his clothes after mowing the lawn" sexy! Updated On: 3/5/04 at 04:35 PM

Galinda Profile Photo
Galinda
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Ben Affleck: The next Sweeny Todd?
Posted: 3/6/04 at 10:13am

oh, god, no. NO NO NO!

break those chains.....with all you posess...

Videos