Wicked Blooper

Kicks8567
#0Wicked Blooper
Posted: 3/11/04 at 6:56pm

I took my aunt to see Wicked on tuesday. It was my second time seeing the show and it was once again PHENOMENAL. Anyway, during One Short Day when Glinda and Elphaba are at Wiz-o-Mania, and the curtain is going up, they took a step too soon, and Idina's hat fell off her head. I had read about all these other fun incidents ont he boards, and was actually very happy to see one of them happen. Idina and Kristen pretty much laughed through the rest of the song, and the next scene, but got serious for Defying Gravity (THANK GOD). Anyways, just thoguht I'd share.

eponine88
#1re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 3/11/04 at 7:20pm

Ahhh bloopers.....the things that make live theater so interesting. When I saw Wicked and Glinda is talking about Dorothy's dog "Dodo" Kristin accidently said Toto, than Dodo, then Toto and seemed to completely confuse herself. Idina (and of course the audience) completely cracked up at that.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 3/11/04 at 7:24pm

lol! Those are both really funny re: re: Wicked Blooper
Nothing interesting happened when I saw it. Things like that are definitely part of the beauty of live theater.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Maggie Profile Photo
Maggie
#3re: re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 3/11/04 at 7:34pm

Nothing happened when I went either. Maybe I should try again?

TheGirlinTheFrock Profile Photo
TheGirlinTheFrock
#4re: re: re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 3/11/04 at 7:40pm

when i went i saw 2 bloopers(that i can remember at least)

In one .. one of the Wiz-o-mania ppl didnt completely zip up their costume and it was open in the back .. it was sooo funny.

In the other: one of the stage hands got caught behind the wizard's head thingy. I was up in the front so we cud see. It was so funny!

Though scattered and divided we are still its heart...AIDA SEPTEMBER 5th, 2004...one more longing backward glance... I AM NOW "TGIF!"

NYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
#5re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 3/11/04 at 8:10pm

I've seen the show many times and only seen two bloopers:

Spoilers, by the way:

#1: When Kristin and Idina have that dance sequence together in Dancing Through Life and Idina makes a hand gesture as though giving the spotlight to Kristin, when Kristin began to walk forward into the spotlight her show was stuck to the stage and she stumbled a little. I was in second row so I could see small smiles on Kristin and Idina's faces but they kept it together.

#2: When Kristin yells "Do it!" and throws the witch hat to Idina in the second act, she didn't throw it far enough and Idina had to run forward to get it. It was no big deal though-no one even smiled.

StateOfJade Profile Photo
StateOfJade
#6re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 3/11/04 at 8:12pm

So, what else is new.

"I really liked the show--Wish I saw Boy's Night...Am I allowed as I am not a boy anymore:)"-duffyny1

BroadwayKate
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 3/11/04 at 11:29pm

the best was when I saw it and during Popular Kristen's wand got stuck in her hair. It just hung there for a min...and then they just could not get it together. I was a little peeved at first...but then I just realized how wonderful live theatre is. In no other profession would a blatant mess up be so hilarious. And the audience loved it!

kate

say the word...and i just might listen...

WhatDoINeedWithLove?
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 3/12/04 at 3:13am

the one i saw wasnt funny at all, more scary--during march of the witch hunters of the guys slammed down his weapon and it broke and flew out and hit someone in my row

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 3/12/04 at 4:04am

That would suck, I'm seeing it on wed in the 5th row. If i get hit with a flying prop somebody's gonna hear about it....

You are young, life has been kind to you. You will learn.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 3/12/04 at 4:28pm

I'd keep the prop! =D hehe jp...When i see it in june im hopping for a little blooper! =D

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 3/12/04 at 4:31pm

Not Wicked, but when I last saw Little Shop at the end a 'clipping' off the plant fell into the front row of the audience and the person gave it back, I was surprised they didnt keep it.

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 5/2/04 at 4:14pm

Had to bring this dead thread back. Just got home from NYC a couple of days ago and saw Wicked for the first time, then again the next night (with rush tickets! Woohoo!).

Anyway, the first night went off without a hitch, and I really enjoyed the show. The second night, during the scene where Glinda and Elphie are having some girl talk in their bedroom (before Popular), Glinda's bed and closet (with the shoes) didn't come out. Funny as hell. Elphie went, "Where's your bed?" and after a few seconds of Kristin tap dancing in the half empty stage, she said, "Can I share yours?" "OK!". There was a fair amount of laughter but really, the funny part was (well, I suppose it depends on how you look at it) that they were still laughing when Kristin says the line (paraphrasing), "Ok, I've told you my secret, what's yours? Come on, I told you a good one." and they're still giggling and Idina pauses, straightens up and goes, "My father hates me." And they continued on with the scene.

Then afterwards, the bed comes out (after a lot of pushing from Idina and Kristin sprawled and "swimming" up stage) and the closet suddenly comes from no where, causing Kristin to interrupt what she was saying and going, "Oh! Finally. It was slow, but it was gooood." which had Idina cracking up all over again.

Very amusing, but I don't think it would be for people who haven't seen the show. I saw Rent a few days earlier for the first time and "Mark"'s microphone stopped working before La Vie Boheme, and Kristen Lee Kelly and a couple of others sitting at his end of the table actually muttered, "Do you want to use my mike?" and started taking it off while the scene was going on. Not huge on that.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

NYCbabe3789
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 5/2/04 at 4:34pm

I find all of this very interesting...see my other thread about the POPULAR sets...

I've seen two of those bloopers recently-one of which where Kristin's bed wouldn't go offstage at the end of the scene and because I was sitting in partial view, I could see the little dilemna backstage.

More recently Kristin's shoes didn't come onstage all the way then started moving in the middle of the scene, and there was much ad libbing and breaking character that lasted about five minutes. It was very funny at the time...however...

Again, see my other post...

aspiringguy715 Profile Photo
aspiringguy715
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 5/2/04 at 5:13pm

only thing i could notice was during popular when kristen tried to do this dance thing and got caught on the bed, but it made it funnier...i think kristen got stuck on somthing after i'm not that girl reprise, i was i third row and she was right in front of me and it took her an awfully long time to exit down the tunnel

HunterFosterIsMyGod Profile Photo
HunterFosterIsMyGod
BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 5/2/04 at 5:42pm

I wish I could have seen one of those bloopers, unless I did, and I just didn't realize it...but from when I went, the show went smoothly.

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 5/2/04 at 7:26pm

I'm sure you all heard when Nobert Leo Butz kinda ab-libed. He said during an interview that one of his major pet-peeves are cell phones going off. Anyway during a show when Idina and he are talking about animals in cages a cell phone went off, and Nobert said "I think people with cell phones should be kept in cages!" this apparently got a huge response from the audience, but the producer asked him not to ab-lib that way.

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 5/2/04 at 7:29pm

LOL I did read about that one, and I thought it was great. I don't see why the producers don't let him do that, but Kristin and Idina are allowed to break character and run to the back of the stage, looking for the bed in the wings.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 5/2/04 at 8:27pm

I heard that one time in Wicked that one of the characters who swings onstage (Norbert?) let the rope go and it wrapped around Kristens head and almost knocked her down.

NYCbabe3789
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 5/2/04 at 8:29pm

Yikes!! At least it didn't strangle her!

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 5/2/04 at 9:12pm

After reading all the bloopers in the Equity, Broadway-Class, 13 Million Dollar, Award Nominated production of Tony Winning director Joe Mantellos Wicked, I suddenly feel as if I never left high school/community theatre...in the worst possible way.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#23re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 5/2/04 at 9:27pm

It's a 14 Million Dollar Production

But to say one thing on the matter, I think that Wicked simply tends to be harped on more than others. I can assume that bloopers happen in many MANY other shows, but they are not respoted as often. The posters here tend to have a love or hate for Wicked, and therefore we post more on the topic. BUt also, maybe 5-6 bloopers have happened, out of how many shows? Let's keep this in perspective, and report bloopers from other shows too, if/when they happen.

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#24re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Blooper
Posted: 5/2/04 at 9:28pm

Maybe people from other shows just take their jobs more seriously and know how to handle mistakes before they become bloopers

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

Videos