pixeltracker

Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?

Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?

Dennis2
#1Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/13/04 at 2:00am

I was wondering if James Lipton's (that guy Will Ferrel did a really funny impression of on SNL once) musical was any good. With actors like Nathan Lane and Bernadette Peters in it, it sounds a little interesting. Has any one given it a listen yet?

I don't like ice cream

billyweeds Profile Photo
billyweeds
#2re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/13/04 at 7:02am

In the firm belief that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, I will state that (sound unheard) the "Sherry" album is rotten because the show was rotten. I saw it in its original production, and with the sole exception of the title song, it was a total bust. The title song is pretty terrible, too, but Dolores Gray was so sensational in her performance that she made it work. The lyrics are particularly cringe-worthy, since Lipton has no clue about matching words to music. The horror of the line "Sherry,/You make me feel deliciously merry/And oh, so high!/I swear champagne is overrated" can only be experienced when heard in context of the tune, which it has only a passing relationship with.

The show was a failure for good reason. So no matter how well, Lane, Burnett, Peters, et al do them, they'll still be those same icky songs. Updated On: 3/13/04 at 07:02 AM

MusicMan
#3re: re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/13/04 at 8:33am

Right on, billyweeds. It's medocre stuff. But I guess everyone is trying to cash in on Lipton's new-found fame (incuding Lipton).

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#4re: re: re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/13/04 at 9:46am

I guess the reason people put up good money to produce this album because it was rotten. For whatever it is worth, I throughly enjoyed the CD & again Music Man thinks something is rotten merely because he says so. It is his opinion just like this is mine. Buy the CD & make your own judgment.

Poster Emeritus

#5re: re: re: re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/13/04 at 10:16am

Mr. Roxy has a point, buy it and form your own opinion whether you like it or not.

MusicMan also makes a very valid point. A recording of a show's score doesn't signify quality of the music and lyrics. If SHERRY! had a sparkling score, we'd all have known it long before now (because it would have been recorded earlier).

Flop shows are flop shows for reason, and more often than not it's the score. There are only a very select group of musicals that survived on the basis of their scores unsuccessful original productions: CANDIDE, SHE LOVES ME, HOUSE OF FLOWERS, come immediately to mind.

Now that someone has paid out his/her money to make & distribute a recording with a name cast no less, there's no reason one shouldn't give it a listen, but don't expect to find pearls and gems in that plastic jewel box.

Yours for a better Broadway!

Jose' aka Broadway Bulldog Updated On: 3/13/04 at 10:16 AM

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#6re: re: re: re: re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/13/04 at 10:30am

Expectation is key, I think. Those expecting a great long lost gem will be disappointed in Sherry! It is a middle-of-the-road score, at best, though it does boast a couple of attractive songs. However, I'm a sucker for 60s flops and I've grown to find the whole thing really enjoyable and I'm so glad it was recorded, in such a high profile way.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

MusicMan
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/13/04 at 12:16pm

"...MusicMan thinks something is rotten merely because he says so."
You've got it backwards, Mr. Roxy. I say so because I THINK so. And, as always, I claim my informed opinion as my own.

moljul Profile Photo
moljul
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/13/04 at 2:12pm

"If SHERRY! had a sparkling score, we'd all would have known it long before now (because it would have been recorded earlier)."

If you knew any of the history of this show you would know that the entire score was lost immediately after the Broadway run closed in 1967. It was found in 2000 and they have been working on getting it recorded since then. I'm sure if the score had not been lost that it would have been recorded earlier but that was impossible. Lots of other subpar scores have received recordings. The quality of a score has nothing to do with whether it is recorded or not. If someone puts up the money, it will be done.

As for the actual recording. In my opinion, and I have actually listened to it, it is extremely uneven. Some of the songs I am listening to over and over again and others I'm completely skipping. Everyone on the album sounds FANTASTIC!. Carol Burnett's voice is maybe not quite up to the job but that would be my only minor complaint. I'm really loving some of the love songs but I'm a sap for love songs. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/13/04 at 2:33pm

I bought the CD because of Mike Myers and I found the entire thing thoroughly enjoyable. The opening number "Why Does the Whole Damn World Adore Me?" It's priceless.... The title song is wonderful. "Putty in Your Hands" is lovely and Bernadette is wonderful in "Imagine That". I must also note that this is not the same Sherry! that debuted on Broadway. It's been completely redone. Songs have been dropped and or added and it is basically the Sherry that Mr. Lipton envisioned for the show before producers and actor's schedules got in the way. I find it charming and I consider it a wonderful addition to my collection. Other highlights include "Au Revoir", "With This Ring", "Ritz", "Christmas Eve", "Proposal Duet", "Harriet Sedley", "Whiteside's Prayer" I could go on and on I adore it...

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#10: re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/13/04 at 2:44pm

A friend is giving me his copy next week. He played it once and hated it.
From what I've heard, it's not bad, and beautifully orchestrated with a nice rich sound.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

#11re: : re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/13/04 at 6:14pm

Moljul writes, "If you knew any of the history of this show you would know that the entire score was lost immediately after the Broadway run closed in 1967."

Perhaps someone lost the score for a reason.

Just a thought.

Then again, it might have been something similar to losing one's keys.

Yours for a better Broadway!

Jose'

Updated On: 3/13/04 at 06:14 PM

moljul Profile Photo
moljul
#12re: re: : re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/13/04 at 6:30pm

LOL Well that is certainly a possibility, Jose. Just trying to make the point that the reason it has never been recorded was because the score was lost not because no one thought it was worth recording. Clearly that is a subjective thing and everyone seems to have varying opinions.

beacon1
#13re: re: re: : re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/14/04 at 6:04pm

"James Lipton and Putting on a Musical" are the topic of a Bravo profiles program tonight at 7pm before "Inside Actor's Studio". Just FYI...

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Patrick Wilson Fans --New "UnOfficial Fan Site". Come check us out!

Patrick Wilson Yahoo Group

Patrick Wilson Facebook Fan Page

GladysBumps Profile Photo
GladysBumps
#14re: re: re: re: : re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/14/04 at 7:31pm

My God, that shamlessly pompous self-delusionary ass!
He's a no talent fool, who holds a bunch of wannabe acting students captive audience. It's the old cliche taken to new heights: HE CAN'T DO, SO HE TEACHES! It's self-important pseudo-intellectual buffons like that who suck the lifes blood out of the American theatre.
Oh yea, and he's ugly too.
Too bitchy?
Gladys

MusicMan
#15re: re: re: re: re: : re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/14/04 at 7:38pm

It is indeed self-serving. I'm very surprised at Mr. Lipton.

thirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: : re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/14/04 at 7:56pm

Tonight Kate Winslet. I've grown to love her.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: : re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/14/04 at 8:02pm

Very good show - Too many commercials

Poster Emeritus

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: : re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/15/04 at 12:52am

I like the CD. Some songs I could do without, but I like wordy cast recordings because they sort of tell the story without you having to see it. Much like Sondheim's work. You can imagine the costumes and sets (even if they don't exsist) while you listen to the songs. I think it would make an excellent concert...not a revival of the actual show, but a concert.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

twogaab2
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: : re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/15/04 at 9:52am

If you are asking if the score is any good. Yes, it has many good songs-some even better than good. However, if you think it would be a candidate for a stage revival, I would have to say no. "Man Who Came to Dinner" is an almost perfect comedy the way it stands (without songs). Many of these songs, even the good ones, not only do not enhance the story line but stop the story dead in it's tracks, which is something a comedy like this really dosn't need. However, as a CD purchase, it is well worth consideration.

At least that's my opinion, I may be wrong.

TWOGAAB
"A Class Act" will never die!

TWOGAAB "A Class Act" will never die!

Dollypop
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: : re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/15/04 at 10:26am

Gladys, I'm shocked! I think you've read one too many of my posts because you are becoming even more ascerbic than I am.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#21re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: : re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/15/04 at 8:46pm

I caught the Bravo Profile on it and it didn't look bad.

EddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: : re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 3/15/04 at 8:55pm

The cast is excellent, but the music is not "jumping out" to me..listening as I type.....

Are you following BroadwayWorld.com yet on Facebook & Twitter? click here.

YankeeMate Profile Photo
YankeeMate
#23re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 7/13/04 at 1:11am

While I enjoy Carol Burnett as much as net next person, I've never been fond of her singing voice as much as her acting/comedic skills. If ANY voice were to be cast in Sherry, I thought Christine Baranski would fit perfectly as the upper-crust Lorraine. Varese had a recording of the title song on one of its 'Unsung Musicals' compilations and it completely spoiled me against Carol's rendition.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#24re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 8/27/19 at 3:28pm

I've finally got around to listening to this. James Lipton is the luckiest person in the world to assemble this cast, which for the most part rises far above the material (especially Bernadette Peters and Nathan Lane). This might have been VERY funny watching on stage, or a staged concert. But I pretty must have zero interest to see this show with another cast. There would be so many other better alternatives.

My favourite songs:

Bernadette's two heartfelt ballad's

* Maybe It's Time For Me

* Imagine That

Nathan Lane's hilarious opening number

* Why Does The Whole World Adore Me

Plus a couple of the character numbers:

* Sherry

* I Always Stay at the Ritz

There was even at least one particularly clever lyric, where they set up a Rhyme but then take it in a completely different direction for comedic effect. It's common these days (e.g. the 'set-up' rhyme and switch the word is in The Book and Mormon, Next to Normal, Frozen etc.). But I don't know if I remember hearing it from many musicals in this period. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

AADA81 Profile Photo
AADA81
#25re: Is James Lipton's Sherry! any good?
Posted: 8/28/19 at 10:45am

The book 'Not Since Carrie', about Broadway flops, has a section on this show where it says the critical response was negative and the score, save for the title song sung by Dolores Gray, was weak.  The author stated that "if anyone ever woke up a sleeping show, it was Gray" (ouch).  Also, in those days shows typically recorded cast albums the weekend after opening but, even though Sherry! lasted just over 2 months, no one was interested in recording it.  Again, the score was considered sub-par.

Videos