pixeltracker

Help - what shows to see in May?

Help - what shows to see in May?

Serendipity
#0Help - what shows to see in May?
Posted: 4/15/04 at 9:25pm

Okay … I need some help. I’m sure people post these threads all the time … but I’m new-ish here, so please bear with me. :)

I’m going to NYC in late May and would like some suggestions on what shows to see ...

I saw WICKED in March, and loved it (yes, I’m an Oz-head – please hold your comments. I know how many different opinions there about it on this board – ha ha). So, I’m going to see it again on this next trip … I also saw Thoroughly Modern Millie in March, so that’s out as well. I think Avenue Q sounds interesting … but beyond that, I’m pretty overwhelmed with all the choices.

Here’s my schedule and my options …

I already have a ticket to WICKED on Sat. May 22nd at 8pm

So, I can/would like to see a show:
Friday 5/21 at 8pm
Saturday 5/22 at 2pm
Sunday 5/23 at 3pm and/or 7pm

This is basically just a Broadway trip for me, as I’m going alone – and might as well see as many shows as possible (funds permitting). I’m not sure which shows do/don’t have a Sunday night show, etc ...

Also – I *don’t* have unlimited funds, so I can’t possibly buy $100 tix for all the rest of those shows. I’ll definitely hit up TKTS for one of those times … but you never know what you’re going to find there. So, I’d like to purchase tickets to at least one other show in advance ...

Any advice, suggestions, personal recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for putting up with me :)

~~~ "How do you leave the past behind when it keeps finding ways to get to your heart?" -- RENT ~~~

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#1re: Help - what shows to see in May?
Posted: 4/15/04 at 9:28pm

Go see Avenue Q! It's really good. Also, RENT is amazing, and Little Shop of Horrors is really funny. I know RENT is on TKTS, but I'm not sure about LSOH and Ave.Q.

Have fun!

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

NYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
#2re: re: Help - what shows to see in May?
Posted: 4/15/04 at 9:30pm

Don't miss AVENUE Q! See it while the OBC is still there! It's hilarious!

johny0828 Profile Photo
johny0828
#3re: re: re: Help - what shows to see in May?
Posted: 4/15/04 at 9:53pm

try to see ave q, assassins, little shop, hairspray or rent. all are great shows. little shop and assassins have rush tickets for around 25 bucks. rent, hairspray and ave q have lotteries. so if your lucky u can see four shows for around 100 bucks.

Wicked_Elphie Profile Photo
Wicked_Elphie
#4re: re: re: re: Help - what shows to see in May?
Posted: 4/15/04 at 10:19pm

I would def go see Avenue Q...yay for J Tags lol! That nickname still cracks me up :)

"Take a breath. Take a step. Take a chance. Take your time." -L5Y

racerchiquita76m Profile Photo
racerchiquita76m
#5re: re: re: re: re: Help - what shows to see in May?
Posted: 4/15/04 at 11:09pm

See Avenue Q! It's hysterical. As someone said above, Rent is usually on TKTS and a great show to see. I'd tend to go with shows that aren't doing so well and you may not get a chance to see in a year. Another advantage of that would be there is more of a chance you could get them on TKTS. Even if you have to pay full price, see Avenue Q, though!

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#6re: re: re: re: re: re: Help - what shows to see in May?
Posted: 4/15/04 at 11:18pm

Another vote for Avenue Q. Some other shows you should see:
Hairspray
The Normal Heart
Wonderful Town
I AM MY OWN WIFE
Embedded (Not sure if it will be running in May-limited run)
Caroline Or Change
Some ticket tips:
For Hairspray and Avenue Q try for the lottery. If not look on theatermania and Broadway box for some good deals.
Hairspray always sells out so worst case you can get standing room i did that the first time i went. Standing room is fun if you are tall. I am not.
Have fun
re: re: re: re: re: re: Help - what shows to see in May? Updated On: 4/15/04 at 11:18 PM

Chrysanthemum62001
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Help - what shows to see in May?
Posted: 4/15/04 at 11:29pm

I guess it mostly depends on your taste, but shows I'm really looking forward to seeing are:
Assassins(not sure how I'm going to deal with seeing something other than Cabaret at Studio 54 though, they just seem to go together)
Wonderful Town
Bare
and Beauty and the Beast (seen it but what can I say, I'm a sucker for baritones like Jeff McCarthy).

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

NYUstud Profile Photo
NYUstud
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Help - what shows to see in May?
Posted: 4/16/04 at 12:14am

AVenue Q, Chicago

"So much of me is made of what I learned from you. You'll be with me like a handprint on my heart."-Wicked

#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Help - what shows to see in May?
Posted: 4/16/04 at 12:39am

Assassins, Hairspray, Millie, - all good, loved em all and Assassins is a limited run so it might be your only chance.

I liked Little Shop a lot, but I wouldnt pay full price for it (like I would the others if I had the dough), in fact Id get rush tickets- i hear theyre in the first few rows and youll get a great view of the plant - especially at the end. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Help - what shows to see in May?

I havent seen Avenue Q so thats why Im not recommending it. And Im seeing Movin Out on Wednesday so Ill let ya know if my list changes.

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Help - what shows to see in May?
Posted: 4/16/04 at 6:54am

Definitely go see Ave Q. And it's one of the few shows that has a Sunday night performance, so you could fit more shows in on your trip possibly. Assassins was excellent....which has $26 tickets the day of the show....or volunteer ushering to see for free.
If you haven't seen Hairspray....I would recommend that as well.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Help - what shows to see in May?
Posted: 4/16/04 at 7:09am

Gee, we will be there the same week Defy! My husband and I have our tickets already for Avenue Q, But I'd also suggest Millie, and Wonderful Town.

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Help - what shows to see in May?
Posted: 4/16/04 at 9:41am

I think HAIRSPRAY, BOY FROM OZ, AVENUE Q, RENT and MAMMA MIA are all safe choices for a wonderful time !! Have fun !!!

Take care

Ruffian
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Help - what shows to see in May?
Posted: 4/16/04 at 9:43am

NORMAL HEART

AVENUE Q

I AM MY OWN WIFE

BoyWithTheBugle Profile Photo
BoyWithTheBugle
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Help - what shows t
Posted: 4/16/04 at 4:10pm

Caroline or Change
Bare
Ave Q

"sipping on a glass of cold chablis..."

Serendipity
#15THANKS!
Posted: 4/16/04 at 4:51pm

Thanks so much to everyone for their advice ... I went ahead and purchased a full price ticket (yikes! impulse buy!) to Avenue Q --> it's: Left Orchestra, Row P, on the center aisle .... good? I hope so. I'm looking forward to seeing it. :)

I'll definitely check out TKTS for a ticket to RENT; and thanks to "jakebloke" for the scoop on the $26 tix to Assassins on the day of the show - that sounds great.

~~~ "How do you leave the past behind when it keeps finding ways to get to your heart?" -- RENT ~~~

Hank
#16re: THANKS!
Posted: 4/16/04 at 7:12pm

Allthough I'm a little late here, I just wanted to say go see Avenue Q any which way, and seeing that you did, you will not be sorry. It's a great show, lot's of fun. Do you have the cd? A must have.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#17re: re: THANKS!
Posted: 4/17/04 at 10:21am

Have a great trip.
Updated On: 4/17/04 at 10:21 AM

MusicPos2 Profile Photo
MusicPos2
#18re: re: re: THANKS!
Posted: 4/17/04 at 11:05pm

AVENUE Q!!!!!! Until I saw WICKED, I didn't think anything could top it, and it's still an amazing show in its own right. There aren't any bad seats in the house, so don't worry about that. You can see everything from everywhere.

orchajaws Profile Photo
orchajaws
#19re: re: re: re: THANKS!
Posted: 4/18/04 at 4:18pm

Here's my recommendation, based on trips (like yours) that I have concocted for myself in the past:
So, I can/would like to see a show:
Friday 5/21 at 8pm - Rent (You don't need to go to TKTS for this one; there are TONS of Discount Codes [MANIA1 for example] you can use to get half price, and not have to wait on line - amazing show)
Saturday 5/22 at 2pm - Hairspray/The Producers/The Boy From Oz/The Lion King (any one, you'll be happy with it)
Satruday 5/22 at 8pm - Wicked (you already have)
Sunday 5/23 at 2pm - Blue Man Group (spend the afternoon Off-Broadway in the Village; great fun)
Sunday 5/23 at 7pm - Avenue Q (the best show on broadway - excellent finale to a spectacular weekend)