Smoking?

Karma76 Profile Photo
Karma76
#25re: Smoking?
Posted: 5/14/04 at 10:02am

PLEASE do NOT go on a rant about lung cancer!!! I am a HUGE advocate for lung cancer. 50% of Lung Cancer patients do not smoke, THOSE who did. some quit years before! I HATE it when people pull the lung cancer card, like it is something these people deserve. Is Lung Cancer attributed to smoking..yes, it it the only way...no!

The bottom line on that is lung cancer is the #1 Cancer #1 you heard me killer of both men and women. YET receives very little funding. it is the lowest funded cancer for the mortality rate it has. People are ignorant and only think smoking is attributed to lung cancer, so not true and so sad. The reason why is a LOT of people do not know about it is cause little if anything is done for research. a LOT of stigma attached to it.

I am not trying to preach BUT i lost my dad almost a year ago on May 25, 2003 to lung cancer. did he smoke...15 years ago yes. do I think ANYONE who smokes is at risk for lung cancer YES, BUT that is not where it ends, so I hate when people pull the Lung cancer card as why these people are gross! People do a LOT of things that harm their bodies, yet this one always seems to be such a Horrid, gross, shun to the corner disease. don't mean to go one, but had to put that out there.

If anyone DOES want to learn more, please click on the link below to a GREAT group of people and loved ones living with the disease. I didn't mean to go off, just want people to be aware.

P.s. Didn't mean to frighten people! haha Sorry if i came across mean!
http://www.lchelp.com/community/ Updated On: 5/14/04 at 10:02 AM

Ilive4nyc Profile Photo
Ilive4nyc
#26re: Smoking?
Posted: 5/14/04 at 2:37pm

I can't believe Kerry Butler smokes.......WOW!
I know actors are people to, but her voice is amazing for a smoker.

"It's like I'm your lover or more like your ghost. I spend the day wondering what you do where you go" "A log is like this big around, you're lucky your head didn't fall off, you best get yourself to a hospital....

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#27re: Smoking?
Posted: 5/14/04 at 3:38pm

ILIVE

Don't worry about believing it, because it simply isn't true. Kerry Butler does not smoke....

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#28re: Smoking?
Posted: 5/14/04 at 3:40pm

I just don't smoke cigarettes..... but..

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

logan30
#29Smoking?
Posted: 5/14/04 at 4:06pm

Cherry Jones & Swoosie Kurtz had to smoke onstage in IMAGINARY FRIENDS. Cherry who is smoker didn't mind it all but Swoosie doesn't smoke said she had great difficulty with the smoking. She also smokes onstage in FROZEN. One can only imagine how many packs of breath mints she keeps in her dressing room.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#30Smoking?
Posted: 5/14/04 at 4:08pm

I had to smoke in a show once. It didn't necessarily bother me but I guess I was terrible at it. Everyone afterward was like 'you don't really smoke, do you?'

Oh well.

logan30
#31Smoking?
Posted: 5/14/04 at 4:17pm

Stage actors I've seen smoking in public (I don't know if they all still smoke)
Matthew Broderick & Sarah Jessica Parker (he lighted her cigarette for her)
Nathan Lane
Vanessa Redgrave (lighted up before stepping into her limosine)
Ralph Fiennes
Kathleen Turner
Patti LuPone
Helen Mirren
Ian McKellan
William Hurt
Sigourney Weaver (between takes on the set of Ghostbusters II)
Kevin Spacey
Kate Nelligan
Campbell Scott & Patricia Clarkson (outside the Public Theatre smoking)
Jessica Lange
Nicole Kidman
Mary Tyler Moore (she quit)
John McMartin (trying to hail cab in front of Lord & Taylor)
Whoopi Goldberg
Bette Midler (walking down Madison Avenue)
and a friend of mine saw Barbra Striesand & James Brolin leave a restaurant between courses to go outside for a cig. Updated On: 5/14/04 at 04:17 PM

broadwayguy2
#32Smoking?
Posted: 5/14/04 at 4:20pm

While I was in town, I had pretty good chats with numerous Broadway actors and at least one lit up during the convo.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#33Smoking?
Posted: 5/14/04 at 4:48pm

I know people are saying that it shouldn't relly be frowned upon, but I certainly frown upon smoking in general, not just among performers. I don't think it makes people worse, it's just a very irresonsible way to deal with stress. Not to mention that if they are performers, I believe they should be striving for their best....and whether it directly affects their voices or not, it's a scientific fact that it affects your breath.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#34Smoking?
Posted: 5/14/04 at 4:50pm

Smoking kills people. And it's no fun to kiss a smoker. and it stinks up your clothes and hair. Yuck. How can anyone respect someone who doesn't respect THEMSELVES enough to take care of their own bodies?

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

Benzy92 Profile Photo
Benzy92
#35Smoking?
Posted: 5/14/04 at 5:20pm

My friend said our beloved Idina smokes.. hard to believe though..

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#36Smoking?
Posted: 5/14/04 at 5:28pm

I heard that too.

I'd be very disappointed if she did. And it's hard to believe she can sing like THAT and smoke.

It sounds childish but... *please let it not be true*

brdwaybaby17 Profile Photo
brdwaybaby17
#37Smoking?
Posted: 5/14/04 at 6:00pm

"Don't worry about believing it, because it simply isn't true. Kerry Butler does not smoke.... "

And you know how? Just wondering... Not being rude I swear...

This is where I heard, and I suppose it could be totally wrong, but most of the time everything they say is true.... I usually check because I don't like to believe it.

http://www.amiannoying.com/(d44vl24512tjs155ycbelgfg)/view.aspx?ID=2093http://www.amiannoying.com/(d44vl24512tjs155ycbelgfg)/view.aspx?ID=2093>http://www.amiannoying.com/(d44vl24512tjs155ycbelgfg)/view.aspx?ID=2093 Updated On: 5/14/04 at 06:00 PM

MargoChanning
#38Smoking?
Posted: 5/14/04 at 6:08pm

For whatever reason, the vast majority of the best dancers and singers I've ever known were/are smokers. I used to assume that it would negatively effect stamina and breath control and vocal range, but I'm just not sure it does. Sarah Vaughan still had her four octave range and her legendary breath control (she could hold a note for more than 30 seconds) until the day she died (of cancer, incidentally) despite a two-three pack a day habit. Aretha Franklin (also with a four octave range) used to smoke that much as well (she quit in '92 -- which is at least partially why she's gained so much weight). I remember watching jazz singer Cassandra Wilson finish nearly a pack backstage in her dressing room in between sets. I used to date a soloist with the New York City Ballet and remember going to parties with all principal members of the company and every one of them to a person (some of the greatest dancers on the planet) chain-smoked incessantly. If smoking affected their performances in any way, it certainly didn't show (though one assumes it wasn't great for their long-term health).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

HunterFosterIsMyGod Profile Photo
HunterFosterIsMyGod
#39Smoking?
Posted: 5/14/04 at 6:50pm

julia roberts, too.

Ruffian
#40Smoking?
Posted: 5/14/04 at 6:52pm

Its true...many, many of the greatest Ballet Dancers smoke....Rudi, Misha, and many of the current Stars dancing at The Met are also chainsmokers. Go Figure

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#41Smoking?
Posted: 5/14/04 at 7:18pm

"And you know how?"

Because Kerry is a friend of mine...

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

HunterFosterIsMyGod Profile Photo
HunterFosterIsMyGod
#42Smoking?
Posted: 5/14/04 at 8:40pm

ouch.

brdwaybaby17 Profile Photo
brdwaybaby17
#43Smoking?
Posted: 5/15/04 at 11:07am

Ahhh.... that sucks.... I mean that they would falsely advertise that. I hate how you can't trust websites. I guess I should be more skeptical on the internet from now on. I have enough trouble trusting things in real life, now this! Well, at least my faith in her has been restored! Updated On: 5/15/04 at 11:07 AM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#44Smoking?
Posted: 5/15/04 at 11:15am

Ironically, Tonya Pinkens, whose performance in CAROLINE is in every way authentic, searingly honest, has one moment that rings false: her smoking. She clearly doesn't inhale, letting the smoke seep out of her mouth (as does Swoozie in FROZEN) and it makes her cigarette breaks seems a bit artificial. I think her vocal performance is so exquisite that I personally don't mind her investment in protecting her instrument.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#45Smoking?
Posted: 5/15/04 at 11:15am

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 5/15/04 at 11:15 AM

msmfan
#46Smoking?
Posted: 5/15/04 at 11:40am

Not only did Mary Stuart Masterson smoke on stage as Luisa Contini, she also smokes in real life.......

ShineOn
#47Smoking?
Posted: 5/15/04 at 6:24pm

Am I Annoying.com is more annoying than any performer they have on there. It used to say that Emily Skinner smoked... it has since been taken off. She no longer does... and I can assure you she's very much against it.

Don't believe everything you read. Smoking?

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin

CJR
#48Smoking?
Posted: 5/15/04 at 9:55pm

BG2, I can just take a guess at which one lit up in front of you Smoking?

99% of the actors and actresses I know do in fact smoke.. I really can't say anything either way since I smoke myself.

BTW -- great headshot daisy.

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#49Smoking?
Posted: 5/15/04 at 10:05pm

And ironically enough I've heard that Sean Bean is a good singer...go figure