Idina VS. Donna

bernadette88
#0Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 6:24pm

Okay, first off, I feel that both Idina Menzel and Donna Murphy are two amazingly talented people and they are both doing SUPERB jobs in there shows, but obviously Idina is much more of a standout in her role, and she has captured the role of Elphaba perfectly. She shines in every aspect. So...
WHY didn't Idina win the Drama Desk or Outer Critics award. I read something the other day about the votes being split between Idina and Kristin and the rest going to Donna so she ended up getting most of the votes, but Idina just has to win the Tony. She deserves it soooooooooooo much! Like I said before, both are extremely talented, but this is Idina's Tony. She's got her name written all over it! Does anyone still think she Tony voters will end up giving it to Idina???????

iruvyou Profile Photo
iruvyou
#1re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 6:35pm

I have feeling that Kristin and Idina are going to get the same amount of votes again. They are both very talented and if Kristing was up for featured actress then Idina would win (unfortunatly not the case)I want Stephanie D'abruzzo to win ,but i've heard she probally won't

Bobby is my hobby and I'm givin' it up!

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#2re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 6:37pm

I think Idina isnt more of a standout than Donna in her role. Donna practically steals the show.

"They hear drums. We hear music."

MargoChanning
#3re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 6:42pm

How do you figure it's "Idina's Tony" when she's lost every single award up to this point? I also don't see how you could say that "obviously Idina is much more of a standout in her role" when she is the co-lead of her show, while Donna is THE one-and-only, name-above-the-title star of hers. "Wonderful Town" was a star-vehicle written for Rosalind Russell and the role of Ruth really is the whole show.

Vote splitting is a total myth --someone over at ATC did a statistical analysis of what happens when two (or more) performers from the same show are nominated against each other at the Tonys and found that more than half of the time, one of the two have ended up winning the award (there's TONS of examples, check the Tony site). In other words, Kristen and Idina are not hurting each others' chances. This is a strong year for Lead Actresses in Musicals and all five have their fans. So far the critics' pick has been Donna Murphy, so if there is a favorite at this point, it's her. How will the 735 Tony voters go? It's truly anybody's guess -- but nothing so far would indicate that Idina could in any way be considered a favorite over the others.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 5/17/04 at 06:42 PM

Ruffian
#4re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 6:56pm

We should give them both boxing gloves & let them slug it out

Who do you think has the better upper-cut? Body Blow? Knock-out punch?

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#5re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 6:59pm

I think Donna has earned all of those awards and deserves them fair and square. Afterall it isnt Donna that we hear about every other day for doing some foolish blooper in the middle of her performance and getting out of character coughcoughwickedleadingladiescoughcough...

Updated On: 5/17/04 at 06:59 PM

Ruffian
#6re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 7:01pm

LMAO

You are all forgetting about Tonya

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#7re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 7:07pm

I think some people are forgetting that Idina was both awesome AND amazing.

Not anyone can do that.

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#8re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 7:11pm

I think Idina and Kristen are amazing, but unfortunately I dont think they are going to win, even though I really want Idina to win. However, they will split the votes and I think its between Donna and Tonya. I understand where you are coming from Ruffian and I think its just that not a lot of people have seen Caroline, or Change yet. I will be seeing it on Sunday and will give my feedback afterwards. Right now all I know is that Donna holds the tripple threat factor over Tonya, for Donna dances up a storm in Wonderful Town. The Tony voters have it hard this year.

Ruffian
#9re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 7:15pm

Elphie, I am seeing CAROLINE this week myself, just saw Donna last week & I agree with you, THE WICKED ladies are excellent

I LOVED IDINA myself, but you got it right....LOTS of EXCELLENT choices this year

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#10re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 7:27pm

Post a review afterwards.
I'm not sure if I'm going to like it as much as everyone else. I'm a little skeptical. I like the big flashy shows, but I'm open to all kinds of musical theatre. I really like Tonya- She's awesome!

tappedout
#11re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 7:28pm

JohnPopa-LMAO!

you think you know but you have no idea.....

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#12re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 7:35pm

I didn't see Wonderful Town but I LOVED Idina in Wicked. She's really great; I hope she wins.

brdwaybaby17 Profile Photo
brdwaybaby17
#13re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 7:36pm

Well, didn't people think the NINE girls last year would cancel eachother out? And there were three of them....
I don't personally care who wins though. What happens, happens....

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#14re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 7:41pm

Everyone I know in the biz, including 2 Tony voters, thinks it's a race between Murphy and Pinkins. Then, perhaps, Chenoweth, with Menzel below her. As effective as Menzel is, she's competing with women offering either strong, thriple-thread traditional musical theater chops (Donna) and near operatic intensity (Tonya). Margo put it best -- it's a damned strong year, but it's safe to say the consensus supports Murphy and Pinkins. I swore Pinkins nailed it, but then Murphy won the first awards. I think the voters will all see Caroline (some again) in the next month, and that may give Pinkins the edge.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#15re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 8:32pm

I must be the only person in the world who didn't think Tonya Pinkins performance was anything special.

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

Broadwaylilhead Profile Photo
Broadwaylilhead
#16re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 9:07pm

Bythesword-- I'm with you on your opinion.

This is really no different than the Academy Awards and all the awards, such as The Golden Globes, leading up to the big night. It is quite obvious Donna is gonna win, Hugh is gonna win, Joe is going to win, and Wicked is gonna win. I just don't want to be near Idina when she looses.

Call it a regime change...

HarmlessKiller Profile Photo
HarmlessKiller
#17re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 9:17pm

Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick were both up for Leading Actor, and Nathan won. That's why, if either of the Wicked ladies win, it will be Idina. Stephanie doesn't have a chance, even though she delivered the funniest (and most versatile) performance. Donna probably will win because the Tony voters love her, but Tonya has a good chance too. They should give Idina the Tony just for being able to wear that green makeup and still look great!

HunterFosterIsMyGod Profile Photo
HunterFosterIsMyGod
#18re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 9:19pm

How do you "know" that Idina would win, HarmlessKiller? The point is, everyone nominated is fabulous!

As for my personal opinion, I'm rooting for Donna. She was SO surprising and fabulous!

Zola Q. LaPlaya Profile Photo
Zola Q. LaPlaya
#19re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 9:24pm

Donna's too old for the part.

Stop worrying about what I'm doing -- focus instead on what you're eating.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#20re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 9:25pm

Guys, come on. This is getting absolutely ridiculous already. We go from "IDINA AND KRISTIN VS. DONNA" to "IDINA VS. DONNA" and soon we'll see "KRISTIN VS. DONNA." The Tonys are in like three weeks. Can't we just let it go until then? Obviously we're all going to differ in opinion, and it's stupid to fight over something we have NO control over. Sure, share your opinions... that's what these boards are for, but it's so silly to see the same thing over and over and over and over and over again all the time. That said, I'm not even going to post my opinion again.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 5/17/04 at 09:25 PM

MargoChanning
#21re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 9:32pm

Too old??? The role and the musical were created for Rosalind Russell who was 41 when the show opened in 1953 and was 43 when the show closed a year and a half later. Donna Murphy was 44 when this revival opened and is now 45. Huh?

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

HunterFosterIsMyGod
#22re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 9:46pm

thanks, Luvtheemcee...i made that same mistake when i first got here.

And, yes, I also believe that donna is NOT too old for the role. have you SEEN the show, Zola Q. LaPlaya?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#23re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 9:48pm

lol, HFISMG...
See, my being in a bad mood brings out the rationality in others!

A work of art is an invitation to love.

HunterFosterIsMyGod
#24re: Idina VS. Donna
Posted: 5/17/04 at 9:49pm

indeed- very good logic for when you're the one in the mood swing, see?

Videos