News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Bombay Dreams

TheaterGeek91
#0Bombay Dreams
Posted: 5/26/04 at 5:34pm

Who has seen Bombay Dreams? A local theater kid with whom I am acquainted, Neil Shastri, has a part in it but I haven't been able to get up to NYC since it opened. Is it good? What are our opinions? I heard it is up for a Tony, which is at least a little bit of good news!
One more question: Does it have a CD yet? Probably not, but I'd like to buy it when I can.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#1re: Bombay Dreams
Posted: 5/26/04 at 5:37pm

There isn't a CD of the Broadway cast yet, but there is one with the Original London Cast. I didn't care for it all the much, personally. It just didn't hold my attention and the music was forgettable to me. But I have heard from a lot of people who really love it. It got pretty mixed reviews which for some strange reasons made the box office numbers skyrocket.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#2re: Bombay Dreams
Posted: 5/26/04 at 5:56pm

I can't give you a personal opinion, but...

My acting coach saw it and said it was ghastly. To this day, he talks about how horrible it was. I dunno, tho. There are some supporters of this show.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#3re: Bombay Dreams
Posted: 5/26/04 at 6:02pm

A friend of mine saw it. He says the show struggles for Mediocrity and at times achieves it.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

iflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
#4re: Bombay Dreams
Posted: 5/26/04 at 6:05pm

Ghastly is a little strong. I'd go with mediocre. Not great theater, but it's loud and colorful, and the choreography is kind of compelling. While I would never actually recommend it to someone, I certainly didn't hate it. It just seemed sort of...I don't know...silly.

If you search under "Bombay Dreams" as the subject (the button is at the top of the list of threads), you'll find a lot of stuff that was posted a couple of months ago when it first previewed.

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10

cmleidi
#5re: Bombay Dreams
Posted: 5/26/04 at 7:28pm

I enjoyed BOMBAY DREAMS. The performers are energetic and appealing. The book is lackluster, but the songs are catchy. I'd rather sit through this twenty more times than sit through WICKED for a second time.

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#6re: Bombay Dreams
Posted: 5/26/04 at 8:51pm

"I'd rather sit through this twenty more times than sit through WICKED for a second time."

I doubt that a future Tony winner is THAT bad, but whatever floats your boat.

magicfingers
#7re: Bombay Dreams
Posted: 5/26/04 at 11:12pm

well I guess I am the dissenting opinion on this board....My wife and I LOVED bombay dreams...we have never seen bollywood films but really got into the style, I can see where the show could go over peoples heads if you try to take it seriously or over analyze it, but the music and dancing were first rate. I can certainly see an acting coach hating it, as the direction is broad and over the top- not what americans are used to -although that style certainly prevailed on broadway until Brando rolled into town....

It is not surprising the show is doing very well at the box office, because the word of mouth in my community (Long Island) has been very strong and it seems to be one of the "shows to see"...I know it is not for everyone;s taste....I can see it appealing to a younger less stuffy theatre crowd..those who want high art can see caroline or change...it;'s nice that two different shows can exist on broadway!

cmleidi
#8re: Bombay Dreams
Posted: 5/26/04 at 11:35pm

"I doubt that a future Tony winner is THAT bad, but whatever floats your boat."

It was THAT bad to me, and since I bought the ticket, that's all the matters. I don't care if it wins the Tony or not. I found it dreadful, and the worst show I saw out of over twenty shows during my vacation in late December/early January.

lc1965 Profile Photo
lc1965
#9re: Bombay Dreams
Posted: 5/26/04 at 11:42pm

I'm w/ cmleidi -- Tonys don't necessarily equal quality. It's more important, ultimately, what the paying theatregoers think. I can say this, having worked there many times -- they get an enthusiastic standing ovation every night w/ the crowds just tickled pink. But, they tend to attract a less sophisticated audience which reacts differently to the seasoned theatregoers or theatre pro. That doesn't mean they're stupid, just usually not as well-versed in theatre. Big difference. Besides, theatre is art & art is subjective. People either enjoy the show or don't -- it doesn't do anyone any good to say one side is right or wrong. Having said all that, I didn't care for it.

Murder By Music at Dillons 9/9, 16, 23, 30 www.murderbymusic.com

wickedrawbrt
#10re: Bombay Dreams
Posted: 5/27/04 at 11:29am

I think you bring up a good point IC1965, art is subjective. Someone eventually points that out on the boards and I'm always happy when they do. I saw BD in London and really liked it. I heard there were considerable changes made and am curious to see it. Would i recommend this show...probably to tourists. I found it fun and the music catchy. I feel like I got my money's worth.

Cyndy Profile Photo
Cyndy
#11re: Bombay Dreams
Posted: 5/27/04 at 2:36pm

Sriram Ganesan sang one of the songs that was cut from BD at Standing Ovations. Can anyone tell me anything about the character he plays in BD or what he sings? I very much enjoyed his performance at SO.

"If there is to be any peace it will come through being, not having." Henry Miller
Updated On: 5/28/04 at 02:36 PM

cmleidi
#12re: Bombay Dreams
Posted: 5/27/04 at 2:40pm

He plays the eunuch who is the lead character's conscience. He's quite good in the role, and he should have been Tony nominated.

Kicks8567
#13re: Bombay Dreams
Posted: 5/27/04 at 2:54pm

I saw Bombay Dreams on Tuesday, and loved it. The cast is so energetic, and the singing and dancing was phenomenal. I would definitely recomend this show, especially for families. I was extremely shocked when the man sitting two rows ahead of me pulled out a camcorder to bootleg the performance. I just looked at him, and the man sitting next to me told him to put it away,a nd reluctantly, he listened.

lc1965 Profile Photo
lc1965
#14re: Bombay Dreams
Posted: 5/27/04 at 10:13pm

Kicks8567: good for those who insisted he turn it off! more people need to speak up -- get an usher -- talk to the house manager or security personnel -- don't wait!

Murder By Music at Dillons 9/9, 16, 23, 30 www.murderbymusic.com

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#15re: Bombay Dreams
Posted: 5/27/04 at 10:15pm

"I doubt that a future Tony winner is THAT bad, but whatever floats your boat."

Rent? Lion King? Anyone?

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

testing123
#16re: Bombay Dreams
Posted: 6/21/04 at 5:27pm

Seems to be a lot of mixed reations to this one.. Just picked up tix for tomorrow night thru TDF. If anyone is interested, TDF has dates for the July 4th weekend. If I dont like it for $29, I wont be upset !!!

"Get a job!!!" "Thank you... honey"

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#17re: Bombay Dreams
Posted: 6/21/04 at 5:29pm

*banging head on desk" why hasnt this closed yet?

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

WiCkEd4LyFfE
#18re: Bombay Dreams
Posted: 6/21/04 at 5:47pm

I loved the show! I saw it right when it came back onto Broadway again. I loved the new songs as well as the classics. I also enjoyed the costumes and dance moves. I loved this play why does it have to end? re: Bombay Dreams

*Kristen*

testing123
#19re: Bombay Dreams
Posted: 6/21/04 at 5:51pm

<< *banging head on desk" why hasnt this closed yet? >>

Probably because "Fiddler", "Wonderful Town", "Little Shop", and a number of others that it is outgrossing have not. Its done close to 80% the last couple of weeks. Doubt it will close anytime in the very near future, but I could be wrong.

"Get a job!!!" "Thank you... honey"

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#20re: Bombay Dreams
Posted: 6/21/04 at 5:52pm

that was kinda rhetorical (sp?)

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#21Friend of MINE refers to the 'hit tune' (read catchy and annoying
Posted: 6/21/04 at 6:25pm

as shakalaka****

"Life is a lesson in humility"

Hank
#22Friend of MINE refers to the 'hit tune' (read catchy and annoying
Posted: 6/21/04 at 7:11pm

Funny thing, I have the Bombay Dreams CD playing right now, and I thought I'd check this board, and here's this thread...
Well, anyway, I just wanted to say I'm a fan too, but as stated before, "It's not to everyones' taste".
Sometimes you just have to take a chance, or you'll never know what you missed.

Kicks8567
#23Friend of MINE refers to the 'hit tune' (read catchy and annoying
Posted: 6/21/04 at 8:26pm

Hi,

I saw Bombay Dreams and loved it, and about the Broadway recording, I hear it is the same as the London recording because according to Good Morning America, the show is lip-synched.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#24Friend of MINE refers to the 'hit tune' (read catchy and annoying
Posted: 6/21/04 at 9:54pm

The leads are wonderful. It's a very fun show. The water scene is not only amazing but hot as well.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 6/21/04 at 09:54 PM

Videos