pixeltracker

AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)- Page 2

AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)

Plum
#25re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/10/04 at 2:42pm

Wow, it's almost like ATC and BWW switched personalities on this topic.

Anyway, considering the size of most theaters that take tours, I think Avenue Q made the right decision, or at least the best decision they could. Look at how badly Urinetown has been doing on tour- they probably looked at that and realized that being courted by Wynn is a much nicer choice. I don't blame them.

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#26re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/10/04 at 6:31pm

Isn't it interesting....

Just one week ago, people were raving about their favorite, greatest, underdog show: "Avenue Q".

Then, when announced it won't tour, they turn into mean, hateful spoiled kids.

What happend? Did the quality suddenly change? Is the show less great then it was a week ago? Just because it won't be coming to a town near you, people suddenly have to bad-mouth it?

But I guess you're right. Avenue Q is such a stupid, dumb show and didn't deserve to win the Tony. They only won cause they said they'd tour!

Boy From Oz, the true quality show, wuz robbed!

Right?

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

SMichaelK Profile Photo
SMichaelK
#27re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/10/04 at 6:44pm

I do agree that it is disappointing that Avenue Q will not tour and instead go to the capital of chintz, Las Vegas. But hey good for them, its always nice to see an underdog score big, and the money they can make in Vegas could have some major potential. Here's just hopin the show doesn't lose steam by fall 2005.

You, you are the worst thing to happen to musical theater since Andrew Lloyd Webber... and you I just don't like you.

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#28re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/10/04 at 6:47pm

I RUV AQ NO MATTER WHAT!!! re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#29re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/10/04 at 8:14pm

Okay, as pissed as I am it won't come to Los Angeles...it looks like a road trip to Vegas for me and my friends! Anyone want to come and pitch in for gas? Okay, its not a road trip, its a 5 hour drive, but anyway...I'm sad. But I hope it does well.

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

#30re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/10/04 at 8:48pm

When all is said and done (pro and con) the question remains whether the producers of Q duped the TONY voters by withholding this announcement until after the voting deadline.

If so, that kinda makes the "vote your heart" Q campaign a bit disingenuous, in my opinion.

Updated On: 6/10/04 at 08:48 PM

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#31re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/10/04 at 8:57pm

Jose' not to argue with you, but if you read the article in the NY Times, you'll note that nothing is final in this business until the paperwork is signed. Disingenuous? I personally don't think so.

I don't see it as duping - especially since voters should not be basing their opinions on whether or not a show is going to tour. Idealistic as it might be, I would hope that TONY voters voted for the best musical of the season in their opinions.

Had WICKED won, would their campaign have been slammed like it is being now? I doubt it.

Ironically, if some of the TONY voters voted with their "heart" because they thought a tour was on its way and because of the $$ they would make - that wasn't really voting their heart, now was it?

There's (at least) three sides to every story my journalism teacher taught me in high school. "his story, her story and the truth".

...and I would find it hard to believe that TONY voters will come "out" and say they voted based on a tour. Maybe one or two anonymously - but clearly not publically.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

#32re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/10/04 at 9:07pm

Craig, who's to say? I wasn't there so I'm certainly no authority. I only know what I read in the NYTimes and another well-known theatre website. It struck me as disingenuous as I read the comments. There's nothing to argue. Just one person's observation.

It proves one thing though, all dem puppets have claws, man. Don't get in their way! Dis is show business after all.

re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#33re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/10/04 at 9:11pm

But Jose, your comments contradict what was being promoted by Avenue Q's campaign!

Their campaign was "Vote your heart!", ie. vote for the show you liked best, not because it'll make you money if it tours, etc.

If the road voters voted for Avenue Q because they hoped it would stop by their town, then they DESERVE being duped, because they didn't vote their hearts.

I think this news, and the reaction to it, really points to the hypocrisy of some Tony voters. I certainly don't think anyone is "owed" anything just because Avenue Q decides not to tour.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

#34re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/10/04 at 9:22pm

Good point.

Like I said, I'm not an expert. Just making an observation.

I've been wrong many times in life, and I'll be wrong again.

re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!) Updated On: 6/10/04 at 09:22 PM

Jon
#35re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/10/04 at 9:25pm

The producers absoluitely made the right decision. The show would have been very difficult to sell outside major cities. IT'S THAT DIRTY PUPPET SHOW! Let's face it, most of Middle America is under the thumb of the Religious Right. George Bush may be only "for now", but narrow-mindedness is forever. With a long run in Vegas, the show can thrive on word-of mouth, like Blue Man Group.

Gee, maybe this will convince more folks to move their asses to New York to see shows. It's really not THAT expensive if you know how to travel properly.

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#36re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/10/04 at 11:08pm

yes sir...major "duping" going on.

As we all know by reading the Tony voting rules (and I quote).."only shows that have promised really nicely to do a national tour will win the Tony for Best Musical."

That's why "Passion" and "Sunset Blvd" won the Tony.

oh...wait.......

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#37re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/10/04 at 11:33pm

I live in Las Vegas, but I really don't know what to say. I really don't.

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#38re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/10/04 at 11:46pm

Did the article give a time as to when they might begin performances in Vegas? So I know when to schedule a trip with my friends!

Also, do you think this show will really last that long? Don't get me wrong, I adore Avenue Q, but because it doesn't have universal appeal (like Jon said, Middle America won't be up for it), will it do well for long? In Vegas?

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#39re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/10/04 at 11:50pm

Our other shows do really well, even Starlight Express when it was at the Hilton a few years ago. When we have tours come to the Aladdin, they also do really well. We certainly have a lot of Broadway fans here, and we get a lot of Broadway fans from other parts of the country down here too. I just have a bad feeling about this.

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#40re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/10/04 at 11:52pm

Ditto, MyNameInLights. I love Avenue Q tons and tons, but I get this sinking feeling...

Anyone else?

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#41re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/11/04 at 12:11am

I think what Avenue Q is doing is incredibly smart. I think it would have a problem like Urinetown did that time they couldnt go to a city (I dont remember which one) because sales were so low. Q is my favorite, but I don't think its going to fly well in a lot of areas but I think its a great choice for them to do this Vegas thing.

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

daphnerocks
#42re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/11/04 at 2:15am

TO PRODUCERS, HEART EQUALS $$.

THEY LIED, AND NOW THEY ARE CAUGHT. PERIOD. WHY TELL THE VOTERS THEY WILL ADAPT THE SHOW FOR EACH CITY, AND THEN SELL OUT TO VEGAS LEAVING THE VOTERS HIGH AND DRY. WICKED WON AS FAR AS EVERYONE IS CONCERNED.

No one will ever believe the 3 producers again.

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#43re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/11/04 at 2:19am

Please nix the caps. It's hard on the eyes.

nystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
#44re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/11/04 at 2:26am

oh honestly, daphne rocks. you deserve the response you get to that one whenever anyone reads it. as far as im concerned, avenue q won... because it did.

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#45re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/11/04 at 2:30am

"WICKED WON AS FAR AS EVERYONE IS CONCERNED."

...well as far as I'm concerned Avenue Q won so I am stating that I am not apart of this "everyone" which is being spoken of here.

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
#46re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/11/04 at 2:49am

It sucks to be living in the Mid-West.

re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)

I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#47re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/11/04 at 6:08am

Gee, kiddies, get a grip. Grow up.

If you want to see AVENUE Q so badly, save your pennies and buy a bus or plane ticket to either NYC or Vegas. Congratulations to Vegas and Steve Wynn for taking a chance on bringing smart theater to Vegas.

Art lovers don't throw a tantrum if a traveling exhibition they would like to see doesn't come to their hometown museum. They get off their asses and go see it.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#48re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/11/04 at 6:42am

Urinetown was cancelled in Baltimore and Washington. It hadn't gone on sale in either market, so "low sales" was not the reason. The tour played the rest of its markets as scheduled through this Sunday, and while not a million dollar grosser, it did respectable, profitable business across the country.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

#49re: AVE Q Tour Canceled - Vegas Instead (Boooo!)
Posted: 6/11/04 at 7:17am

This from Riedel's column today re: "PUPPETGATE."

"Vote your hearts? Please!" sneered one producer. "They asked us to vote our hearts, and all the time they were looking after their wallets."

IT'S PUPPETGATE! by Michael Riedel, NYPOST 6/1/04