bwaylyric
#0ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 10:42am

Assassins to close July 18...reports Broadway.com

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
#1re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 10:46am

What the heck is wrong with people--they'd rather sit through dreck like 'Bombay Dreams' than beautiful, brillant Sondheim (which he isn't always, but he certainly was when he wrote Assassins.)

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston

ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
#2re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 10:54am

Your headline is deceiving.
ASSASSINS MAY CLOSE EARLY.
It's just a threat. Entirely possible, but still not a closing notice yet. A threat to try to drive up the advance.

Hamlet's father.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#3re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 10:55am

Um...so If I have tickets for the 24th...how does this work? And if they extend again will I be able to keep them? Argh! This is why I'm going to New York.

KC

Jesus saves. I spend.

ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
#4re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 10:58am

Call Roundabout.

My feeling is that you could gamble and book a show prior to the 18th. If and when it closes early, you'll get a refund for the original tickets.

They will probably tell you that you can't do anything with the current tickets until they officially post closing. But you never know.

Hamlet's father.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#5re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 11:04am

I already have my schedule and all my other tickets purchased...ARGH! Boo-Hoo...Weep...Sob

KC

Jesus saves. I spend.

cabarethed
#6re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 11:08am

Oh NOW they're releasing the good seats they always had. NOW I don't have to sit in shin-bleeding seats for a not very good discount. My leg is still bruised a week later...I thought I'd sat in every section at Studio 54-- apparently not!!
I've seen this show twice within a space of a couple weeks, and I'm not a big Sondheim fan...however, I absolutely love this. I was looking forward to it being my summer show and ushering/doing student discount...damn.

But you know, this IS Roundabout, and they'll do ANYTHING to get money. Too bad I was willing to shell out for an expensive seat last week. I can't afford it now!

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#7re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 11:13am

Well, I tried to get tickets for July and telecharge said none were available at all.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#8re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 11:14am

If you go to the assassins ticket site: Assassinsonbroadway.com you can buy tickets for all of july...and they just released good seats last week...

KC

Jesus saves. I spend.

BWayBoy88
#9re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 11:17am

How reliable is this? We all know that Broadway.com hasnt always been correct.

MargoChanning
#10re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 11:31am

I'm confused. Paid attendance for the week that ended June 20th was at 94.5%. For the week of the 13th, 95.7%. For the week of the 6th (prior to the Tonys), 93.4%. And the average ticket price has increased every week (as the discounts have expired). Shows doing numbers like that simply don't close early. EVER. Heck, Wonderful Town is still going and hasn't cracked 60% in months.

Could this be a pre-emptive move on their part in anticipation of a strike -- I believe they were about to shift over from the LORT contract to the production contract that's at issue in the strike. Or perhaps a ploy to get some advantage in their contract negotiations with the actors? Or an attempt to goose up the box office? Or perhaps, Broadway.com just screwed up again.

I don't get it.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 6/28/04 at 11:31 AM

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#11re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 12:10pm

Well, it really isn't misleading. Some sources are saying that it definitely WILL...others that it MAY

"Life is a lesson in humility"

cvapb Profile Photo
cvapb
#12re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 12:27pm

Broadway.Com says July 18
Playbill.Com says July 12.. who do we believe?

ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
#13re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 12:36pm

I believe them:
Assassins Info.

Hamlet's father.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#14re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 12:41pm

Playbill says the 18th as well...though this seems like madness...How can you possibly complain about the lack of an advance when untill last week you have advance tickets blocked off to everyone but American Express Gold members? Tickets after the 18th have only been available recently...This is extremely odd.

KC

Jesus saves. I spend.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#15re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 12:48pm

Well; Variety is reporting it as well.
assasinsclosing

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
#16re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 12:55pm

Yes... well I passed along a message from an actor in our current show that went like this:

"Can you tell [director] that I can't meet him for lunch? I'm taking [fellow actor] to her doctor appointment"

Next thing, the person who was to deliver the message had called the director of marketing and told him that one of he actors was on the way to the hospital, who called the stage manager who heard that the actor was in the hospital... People came in, the theatre was prepping for a cancellation.

At half-hour, there were about 10 people waiting with baited breath at the stage door when the actors showed up.

Sometimes a story just needs a little push and it's off to the races. Just look at all of this free marketing!

Hamlet's father.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#17re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 12:59pm

Huh?

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#18re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 1:03pm

Great. I hope we don't end up missing this show, too. I was counting on getting it at TKTS. We don't arrive until the 15th.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
#19re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 1:05pm

To me the situation that I shared is similar because one statement, in this case from Mr. Haimes, can set off a whole lot of alarms. Sometimes intentional (like Haimes), sometimes unintentional (like my story).

Haimes statment definitively says "might". Yet these trusted sources are reporting "will"... it's a bump, a shot of publicity that may have gotten out of hand... A "Gypsy" maneuver.

Hamlet's father.

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#20re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 1:17pm

It's apparently the advanced sales that are way down, not the current ones, though I would agree it's a bit odd to think that the drop would be *that* much since it's been selling so well the past few weeks.

Anyway, my guess is that they're hoping the possibility of closure will boost those sales back up and they'll "extend." We shall see!

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#21re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 1:22pm

You mean similiar to the Macy's 1-day sale concept? HAHA

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

Flam1ngo Profile Photo
Flam1ngo
#22re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 4:18pm

The American Express site is showing seats well into August! Hooray!

I may take my chances and book those dates. If they close, We'll see something else.

It's only for now... - Avenue Q

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#23re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 4:46pm

Nooooo! I was planning on seeing it in the fall. I'm broke as it is, and have several other shows to see this summer. re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
I hope this isn't true.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#24re: ASSASSINS CLOSING EARLY
Posted: 6/28/04 at 4:51pm

If it's true, it's a damn shame. The show is brilliant.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

Videos