Audition Attire

brdwaybaby17 Profile Photo
brdwaybaby17
#0Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 10:34am

I have an audition in a few hours, and I don't know what kind of clothes would be appropriate. It's not for a musical, so we won't be dancing. Help!! Thanks everybody!

sycorax
#1re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 10:43am

What's the show?

"It means that the other guys didn't win!" --Jeff Marx on what winning a Tony would mean to him

brdwaybaby17
#2re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 10:49am

Our Town

brdwaybaby17
#3re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 11:19am

Ok, I am bumping it, because I really need some help...

broadwayguy2
#4re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 11:20am

dress in something simple and slightly conservative. knee length skirt, nice blouse....

brdwaybaby17
#5re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 11:42am

Whoa... I was in jeans... lol Thanks for letting me know.

broadwayguy2
#6re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 11:44am

LOL. no problem. A good rule of thumb, if you know the stye of the show, dress to that. Ie. you would NOT wear the same thing to an audition for Phantom of the Opera than you would wear to an audition for Rent. ya know? For Rent, dress a little more 'downtown'/hip/etc, for Phnatom, go a bit nicer. **shrugs**

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#7re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 12:36pm

Doesn't anyone show up naked for auditions anymore?

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#8re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 12:37pm

Only auditioning for my films.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

rclocalz Profile Photo
rclocalz
#9re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 12:44pm

Also, try to stay away from all black because the audition might take place in front of a black curtain or dark back drop. You want to be seen so dress in lighter colors. One professor told me to dress in a way that I was going in for an interview for a job, because that is sort of what it is. So for me it was a nice shirt and tie with some dress slacks.

http://www.glamsmash.com/ - Glamsmash Productions, a video production company in the heart of New York City

#10re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 12:53pm

break a leg brdwaybaby, and tell us how it went!

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#11re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 12:54pm

I was joking. That only worked with one part I got. Good luck!!

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

#12re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 1:15pm

phantom, youve done one of matt's films?

CJR
#13re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 2:36pm

Make a statement: Go naked re: Audition Attire

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#14re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 4:09pm

Do they really care what you're wearing? What if you have a dance audition immediately before/after?

broadwayguy2
#15re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 4:22pm

Phantom, i audition nekkid for you....

as far as caring what you wear... yes they do. if you go in for a hsow like Phnatom dressed all grunge like, it is hard for them to fit you into the show in their minds... that happens a lot. it's called 'typing out'. sometimes, they may not immediately remember what your name is, but something you were wearing might have stuck out to them and that is how they remember you (so try to wear teh same thing to any pssible callbacks)

brdwaybaby17
#16re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 4:32pm

Thank goodness I took broadwayguy's advice. There were some other people wearing skirts and such, and the people who looked more grundgy, the director didn't really wanna see. When we got there, he said he thought there are two types of actors, period and modern. So, again, my outfit worked to my advantage. I was the second one there for the audition, and the first person left, because the director said he didn't want to see people who didn't know about the play, he didn't want to waste his time. I ended up waited 3 hours... when I finally told him I had to leave, because my sister had to go to work. The thing that really bothered me, was that there was some little kid who kept running around singing songs from Wicked. He was singing from his nose and he changed keys like every five seconds... I thought I was going to die. Anyway, when I got onstage, my partner and I did the soda fountain scene... I think we did a really good job. He stumbled a few times, I waited too long once, because I didn't know where we were, but other than that. The assistant director was beaming, so I hope I at least get a part, wether or not it is a lead, it doesn't really matter.

broadwayguy2
#17re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 4:34pm

YAY! Congrats! I am glad it went well. next time, through something at the obnoxious child.

judy_in_disguise
#18re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 5:16pm

With dance auditions, you usually have time to change while you wait for your singing. I reccomend this. BUT keep the colours the same. That way it's easier for them to say "oh, that girl in the pink and black". I usually wear black dance pants and a pink crop top (pink stands out) for dance, then a black knee-length skirt and nice pink top for the singing.
Just keep it consistent.

BWayBoy88
#19re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 6:53pm

The point of auditions is to get yourself noticed. I think if you went naked you would really be noticed and remembered.

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#20re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 8:07pm

I was always told to dress nicely---maybe not for the less casual shows like Rent, like broadwayguy said, but I would wear a collared shirt with nice jeans to an audition, I suppose.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#21re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 8:24pm

As someone who has sat on the other side of the table a few times, I recommend not having jeans as your apparel of choice unless it IS for something very unusual like RENT. As the poster above said, dress like it's a job interview. It IS a job interview. Look like you want the job, not like you're stopping by on the way to the park. And it doesn't matter how nice the jeans are, or how nice the shirt you're wearing with them. Jeans.Are.Jeans. If you want a leg up, which you all do, then make the effort.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 7/24/04 at 08:24 PM

MusicMan
#22re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/24/04 at 11:19pm

Is it asking too much for the actor to take responsibility and
actually do some research (like reading the play) on the show for which they're auditioning, not to mention having a knowledge of classic dramatic literature in general? You're on a job interview after all. Updated On: 7/24/04 at 11:19 PM

brdwaybaby17
#23re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/25/04 at 5:37pm

Thought I would let everybody know that I just got a callback for Emily for Wednesday! Should I really wear the same clothes, or just something similar?

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#24re: Audition Attire
Posted: 7/25/04 at 5:49pm

Congrats Brdwaybaby17! I'd say wear clothes in a similar style, but not exactly the same.

Akiva

Videos