"The Last Five Years"

sfs1414
#0"The Last Five Years"
Posted: 8/6/04 at 3:37am

Any "The Last Five Years" fans here? Jason Robert Brown is remarkable. As are Norbert Leo Butz and Sherie Rene Scott. Anyone who does not know the show....do yourself a favor and buy the cast recording. Glorious. Updated On: 8/6/04 at 03:37 AM

Blair
#1re: 'The Last Five Years'
Posted: 8/6/04 at 3:47am

I am! I saw a prodution of it in Nashville a couple months ago, and it was brilliant. I had been a fan of the music before, but hearing those songs live made it sky rocket to one of my favorite shows ever.

sfs1414
#2re: 'The Last Five Years'
Posted: 8/6/04 at 3:49am

Agreed. One of my favorite shows ever.

EvelynNesbit1906 Profile Photo
EvelynNesbit1906
#3re: 'The Last Five Years'
Posted: 8/6/04 at 4:28am

Wow. Other people are just now discovering this too? I never get tired of the songs -- especially Shiksa Goddess, Climbing Uphill and Nobody Needs to Know.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#4re: 'The Last Five Years'
Posted: 8/6/04 at 4:48am

I paricularly like "The Shmul Song"

~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
#5re: 'The Last Five Years'
Posted: 8/6/04 at 8:02am

MY FAVORITE MUSICAL!

I particularly like the parts when Cathy freaks out during "See, I'm Smiling" and "Climbing Uphill".
So good.

I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#6re: 'The Last Five Years'
Posted: 8/6/04 at 9:28am

I saw the off-broadway production at the Minetta Lane Theatre... a truly stunning piece of theatre.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

showmethetony Profile Photo
showmethetony
#7re: 'The Last Five Years'
Posted: 8/6/04 at 10:22am

I am a huge JRB fan. I saw this show in Pittsburgh with two incredibly talented Point Park grads. He was the stronger singer, she the stronger actor - but the total package was amazing and so moving. I think I love this show so much because at any given point in the story I can make a connection to either characters. No to mention - the music is fantastic and so fun to sing. Make sure that everyone you know has a chance to hear it.

when you grow up surrounded by willful ignorance you have to believe mercy has its own country and that it's round and borderless ~Animal, Ani Difranco

NativeNewYorker
#8re: 'The Last Five Years'
Posted: 8/6/04 at 12:15pm

I love this show!

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#9re: 'The Last Five Years'
Posted: 8/6/04 at 12:16pm

showmethetony - you see it with my friend Marcus??

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#10re: 'The Last Five Years'
Posted: 8/6/04 at 12:24pm

I saw The Last 5 Years a couple months ago in Toronto. I didn't know what to expect, but had heard good things about it so bought tickets. Well, I loved it. The story is simple but I love HOW it was told. How clever that the guy's scenes go forward and the girl's scenes go backwards and they only meet in the middle for one song. Brilliant! It was also great how they told you what year it was by showing photos on the wall. The two actors in Toronto were exceptional. My only regret was that I saw it at the end of its run so I didn't have time to recommend it to anyone.

marebare
#11re: 'The Last Five Years'
Posted: 8/6/04 at 12:27pm

A great, great show, amazing songs, perfect cast...can't get enough of it!

Thoroughly Modern Cara Profile Photo
Thoroughly Modern Cara
#12re: 'The Last Five Years'
Posted: 8/6/04 at 12:48pm

I am absolutely in love with this show! I am completely obsessed with the cast recording and also now Parade and Songs for a New World because JRB is incredible! I am dying to see a production of L5Y! I think the way he chose to tell the story is genius...can't get enough!!

SammyGal
#13re: 'The Last Five Years'
Posted: 8/6/04 at 1:17pm

I love the CR! Both their voices are amazing and it's so emotional to listen too.

Sherie and Norb will be back together in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels!

On a clear day I can see myself for miles ~Taboo

sfs1414
#14re: 'The Last Five Years'
Posted: 8/6/04 at 1:27pm

I saw the Off-Broadway production and the production in Pittsburgh. I can't wait to see them on stage together again in Dirty Rotten....

showmethetony Profile Photo
showmethetony
#15re: 'The Last Five Years'
Posted: 8/6/04 at 1:31pm

leomaxfrank - Yes I saw Marcus and I am fan...I also got the chance to see him in A NEW BRAIN. He was an incredible Gordon. Shortly after that I ran into him at a restaurant in Oakland and told him he was awesome, he probably thought I was nuts. Anyway, I am sorry I missed him in Floyd Collins, I'm sure he was wonderful. I hope big things happen for him soon.

when you grow up surrounded by willful ignorance you have to believe mercy has its own country and that it's round and borderless ~Animal, Ani Difranco

USActorSinger Profile Photo
USActorSinger
#16re: 'The Last Five Years'
Posted: 8/6/04 at 1:34pm

I love this show. A local theare company (here in Charlotte) is mounting a production of it....can't wait!

Videos