song question

ponine24601
#0song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 6:00pm

k guys i need your opinion on something. my voice teacher told me to pick a song out for my recital and i'm trying to choose. so far i have the following to choose from. i can pick 3 songs.

Defying Gravity
One Song Glory
Out Tonight
Jimmy
Popular
Think of Me
I Know the Truth
Every Story is a Love Story
On My Own
I Can Hear the Bells
The Phantom of the Opera

help please!! thanks everyone!

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#1re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 6:02pm

One Song Glory
Popular
Jimmy

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 6:05pm

Jimmy
Popular
Think of Me
On My Own

I picked four. Anyways, can you handle the Defying Gravity, because then I would add that to my list.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

ponine24601
#3re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 6:07pm

well the only part of defying gravity that i don't belt on it the 'so if you care to find me...' to the end.

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#4re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 6:19pm

One Song Glory, I Know the Truth, and On My Own. PLEASE!

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

Seany Profile Photo
Seany
#5re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 6:20pm

Definitely "Jimmy".

"One Song Glory" for a female?...hmm...I dunno.

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.

ponine24601
#6re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 6:22pm

yeah don't ask me about that. lol. thanks for the help guys. this is going to be such a hard decision. i love them all!

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#7re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 6:24pm

Jimmy
On My Own
Popular

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#8re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 6:29pm

On my Own ( my favorite from your list)
Popular
Jimmy

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

ponine24601
#9re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 6:35pm

the thing that gets me with on my own is that i sang that song so many times before, so i want to try something new. i don't know. thanks again for all your help.

MyNameInLights
#10re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 6:37pm

Do Jimmy instead of On My Own. PLEASE OH PLEASE!

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

ponine24601
#11re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 6:39pm

ok every person has suggested jimmy so that's one of my picks. *writes it down on a piece of paper* 2 more!

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#12re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 7:04pm

Out Tonight, One Song Glory, Popular

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

VoiceofReason Profile Photo
VoiceofReason
#13re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 7:10pm

If you do Jimmy, Popular, and Think of Me, it'll show off your range, both vocally and emotionally. And I think if you ever want to sing Popular now would be the time, before people really start getting sick of hearing it.
~m~

For heaven's sake, don't try to be cynical. It's perfectly easy to be cynical. ~The Importance of Being Earnest~

secret-soul Profile Photo
secret-soul
#14re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 7:53pm

too late.

Plince! Plince! Nein! T-Rex!!

timote316
#15re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 9:43pm

If you can belt Defying Gravity correctly, that would be impressive. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Thoroughly Modern Cara Profile Photo
Thoroughly Modern Cara
#16re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 9:52pm

Jimmy
I Know the Truth
One Song Glory

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#17re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 9:55pm

On My Own. I just LOVE that song. Good luck!

A work of art is an invitation to love.

MyNameInLights
#18re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 9:59pm

I choose the same as TM Cara.

Miphba Profile Photo
Miphba
#19re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 10:05pm

I love all those songs so I see why your having trouble. My personal favorite song of all time is Out Tonight, so I highly reccomend that, followed closely by Defying Gravity, great if your a power belter, which judging by your song selections it looks as though that is your forte. One Song Glory is great but seeing as you are female, it might be strange so in that case I'd choose either Popular, to show off your comedic side, or On My Own because if you can sing that, it's a powerful song, and its probably my favorite Les Miz song.

#20re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 10:35pm

If you can do defying gravity do it! It is a wonderful and moving song! Also do I Can Hear The Bells because it is very original and catchy! Do Popular to because it's a wonderful song!

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#21re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 10:50pm

I Know the Truth, it's so underdone and beautiful! Jimmy and Out Tonight for some versatility!

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

marebare
#22re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 11:40pm

Definitely I Know The Truth!!! Puh-leasee! I love that song and I've always meant to sing it...so I'll live vicariously through you! lol, and if you sing that and Jimmy I would say that Think Of Me would be a good balance to those, although I think it's pretty overdone and that Popular would be fun!!

judy_in_disguise
#23re: song question
Posted: 8/9/04 at 11:48pm

Think of Me
Popular
I Know The Truth

Three great songs, three very different styles.

Lara Profile Photo
Lara
#24re: song question
Posted: 8/11/04 at 1:45am

I love I Know The Truth, I think that would be an exellent choice. Let us know which three you end up picking and how it went. Good Luck!

Videos