#1re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 10:54pm

Hmm...no and no

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#2re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 10:57pm

Dear Lord, here we go....

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

#3re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 10:58pm

Drew Barrymore? lol, all I can picture is Idina in that role..

ponine24601
#4re: Rent Movie Casting

didn't we discuss this once before?

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#5re: Rent Movie Casting

ANGEL--the kid who played Michael in CAMP
MARK--Neil Patrick Harris or spiderdj82

And I have no clue for the rest

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

TheAudrey3 Profile Photo
TheAudrey3
#6re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 10:59pm

I'd really like to see Jai as Angel in the film, and I think they'd probably choose him.

"It does what a musical's supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue."

2day4u9704301 Profile Photo
2day4u9704301
#7re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 11:00pm

OOOOOO I agree with Spider's Angel pick!!

insomniak
#8re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 11:00pm

I don't like stunt casting.

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#9re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 11:01pm

Oh lordy, not again.

But I'll bite. No to Drew Barrymore as Maureen. (Maybe as Mark's mother?) No to Beyonce. We-ell, actually, I could see her pulling off Out Tonight awesomely, but not the rest of it. And that bootylicious lady does not, and should not, look like a druggie. Xtina's also got the voice, but I would want to touch those bars after OT. I don't wanna get booty cooties.

I'm still campaigning for Queen Latifah as Joanne. And Adam from Maroon 5 as Mark (vocally he's nasally, but his acting is questionable.).

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#10re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 11:02pm

This thread will have 100 posts by 1am. It reminds me of Peter Pan.
"All this has happened before. And it will all happen again..."

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

Miphba Profile Photo
Miphba
#11re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 11:04pm

Mimi is latin, Beyonce is not. I'm voting for talented unknowns.

Type_A_Tiff
#12re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 11:04pm

I was thinking more like Groundhog Day.

Edited to say:
I'm not challenging you, but where in the libretto does it say that Mimi's latin? Cuz I figured that as well, but the new Mimi on the Rent tour (and, well, Scary Spice) are both decidedly not Latina.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell
Updated On: 8/17/04 at 11:04 PM

pab Profile Photo
pab
#13re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 11:13pm

OH MY GOD!!

NOT AGAIN!!

PLEASE STOP!!!!

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#14re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 11:13pm

Mimi Marquez...she's Latin.

But that alone wouldn't count Beyoncé out. I just don't think she's right for the role.

And vote for talented unknowns and the movie will probably go nowhere fast.

Miphba Profile Photo
Miphba
#15re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 11:15pm

I think I read it on the Wanna Be in Rent? Casting info description- I have read it somewhere...and her mom is spanish...I may have to check the book to make sure I haven't lied. Hehe yes, broadway has been known to lets say, overlook exact ethnicities, (sp. most def.) (Adam Pascal and Lisa Brescia as Egyptians anyone?) and I think, I'm trying to word this right, that as long as your not white, you can probably be seen as Mimi for Rent (by the producers at least). Just like in the movies, as long as you have an accent (British being a favorite) you can be from any foriegn country the producers wish you to be from- and the audience should believe you.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#16re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 11:16pm

What about Laurie Metcalf for Mimi.

There's nothing she can't play.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#17re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 11:16pm

Not to mention that it is VERY possible to be black and hispanic.

Type_A_Tiff
#18re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 11:22pm

I just realized, doesn't Mimi say, "Feels too damn much like home...where the Spanish babies...cry-y-y-y-y..." And naturally, Spanish babies can only originate from Spain. Cuz, like, immigration wasn't really cool in the mid-'90s. So I guess that ends the Latin/black debate.

Okay, before this thread spins into the useless oblivion that all the other similar threads did, let's focus Maureen. C'mon now, who can play Maureen? (Lindsay Lohan? Just kidding. Sort of.)

Updated On: 8/17/04 at 11:22 PM

Miphba Profile Photo
Miphba
#19re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 11:23pm

B-way Girl- Why do you think the movie will go nowhere fast with unknowns? The Broadway cast was essentially unknowns and I feel that the charcters would be most believable if you didn't have previous projects or ideas to attach them to. Even though its the actors job to make us believe them as the character and such, I just think that unknowns will take it one step further, and I'd rather people to go see Rent out of genuine interest then because a star's attached to it. I got really annoyed when a majority of people decided that Chicago was a good "show" and worth their time- after seeing the movie and before seeing the show.

Miphba Profile Photo
Miphba
#20re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 11:24pm

Oh, and btw B-waygirl- I've been meaning to ask you where you got your quote from- I find it very amusing.

Type_A_Tiff
#21re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 11:30pm

I agree w/ you to an extent, Miphba. Look at Harry Potter. The main three actors were unknowns for the first film. In a sense, it's better to use unknowns because you don't have any expectations.

It's different for Rent though - most of the theatregoing audience hasn't really been exposed to the show, and even if the plot appeals to them, it would take more than the storyline to entice someone to plunk down $10 unless they're interested in a familiar cast member.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#22re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 11:33pm

Okay, since you guys want to continue with this here is my movie cast for Rent:

Jack Lemon as Mark
Walter Matthau as Roger
Freddie Prinze Sr. as Angel
Ann Miller as Maureen
Eva Peron as Mimi
Gregory Hines as Collins
Cleavon Little as Benny

Top that!

Yes, they are all dead, like this thread should be.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Updated On: 8/17/04 at 11:33 PM

Miphba Profile Photo
Miphba
#23re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/17/04 at 11:43pm

True- although I think Rent's plotline might appeal to teenagers and young adults- all the character's and ideas it present could be intriguing enough- then again if it comes down to Rent or Alien vs. Predator vs. additional evildoers that ensure a large amount of blood is shed, I highly doubt there will be much think time as to what they'd rather go see. My biggest problem, just in general, is that many people don't give musical's enough of a chance. To not pull this post completley off this thread's focus I honestly don't know who'd I'd consider casting in this movie, all I can say is that the casting directors have quite a job ahead of them- and I wish them luck.

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#24re: Rent Movie Casting
Posted: 8/18/04 at 12:41am

Drew can't carry a tune you twit.

Also, I don't know if there are really talks about a RENT movie, but it has already played on Broadway for far too long. A movie would just irritate the people that don't like it and would probably flop.

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

Videos