RUDE USHERS

Corinna
#0RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 3:41pm

I attended a production of Dracula and was treated very rudely be three theater employees. Not just rude, but abusive rude. I guess they don't like to be asked questions. I did some research and if anyone has a problem with an usher at a Shubert Organization Theater you can complain at the below address. If people start to complain, maybe they will treat people as if they just spent 100.00 to be in that theater and to be treated like a person.

Mr. Peter Entin
The Shubert Organization
234 W. 44th Street
New York, NY 10036

Phantom487
#1re: RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 3:52pm

I have also noticed alot of extremely rude ushers recently at Broadway shows. Especially at the Imperial (Boy from Oz), the Golden (Avenue Q) and the Gershwin (Wicked).

Corinna
#2re: RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 3:54pm

Phanton 487: you should complain. They won't stop unless Management gets on them. Avenue Q and Boy from Oz are Shubert Theaters.

lyfeisacabaret
#3re: RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 3:55pm

I had a run in with a very rude usher at Little Shop several weeks ago... but i guess that's not really a big deal anymore. lol.

LadyGuenevere
#4re: RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 3:56pm

Personally, my favorite ushers were at the Golden. That's strange that you had a bad experience- but of course, 1 rotten one spoils the lot (or something like that)...

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#5re: RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 3:56pm

Corinna- This is no laughing matter, but if I were you, I would have said "bite me!".

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#6re: RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 3:58pm

The ushers at Q are really Nazi's in disguise.
Just one woman in the Rear Mezz. She screamed at me.
The people I were with called her the nazi leader. She cracked a whip. It actually was very funny!
But the rest of the people on Q are fantastic.
The cast, box office managers everyone! Updated On: 8/27/04 at 03:58 PM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#7re: RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 4:01pm

At POTO, the ushers were picky.

I went to see POTO with school. Usually when you go with school, you reserve a block of tickets in a section. You're handed a random ticket. Well, everyone sat wherever they wanted, but it was within the area we reserved. The ushers were having a fit over this, saying you HAD to be in your correct seat. The teacher kept explaining that we reserved these seats anyway, but the usher kept arguing back. In the end, there were still students in the wrong seats (including me), and it really wasn't as big of a fuss as they made it out to be. But I didn't like how they moved a couple of girls and the teacher after the performance had already started.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Phantom487
#8re: RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 4:05pm

At the Imperial back in July when I saw the Boy From Oz, this flamboyant old man employee was YELLING at the women in line for the ladies room to "STAY AGAINST THE WALL" like is was a cattle herd! My mother was so offended... she said something to him, and he was like "I have to be like this or this place will be chaos!" God! I didn't know the Imperial has become a concentration camp..... Updated On: 8/27/04 at 04:05 PM

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#9re: RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 4:05pm

There was this guy at BFO who would scream at the women to stand single file against the wall for the ladies room. Does anyone know who I'm taking about? I think this was the same dude that hit someone with a Playbill. Ugh!

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 8/27/04 at 04:05 PM

Phantom487
#10re: RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 4:07pm

OMG Phantom2.... yea i wanted to kill him

mamamia sammy Profile Photo
mamamia sammy
#11re: RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 4:07pm

When I saw 'The Lion King' one of the ushers slapped me.

BroadwayWorld: A home for the dangerously unhinged

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#12re: RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 4:09pm

Hmmm...last time I saw Ave Q, I had won the lottery, and the ticket tearer, and then the two ushers I showed my tix to were all smiles and even congratulated me on winning the lotto before showing me to my seat. And I remember someone else posting about being given an "It Sucks to Be Me" pin once, after they had run out. They all seemed really nice at the Golden.

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#13re: RUDE USHERS

At WONDERFUL TOWN, one of the ushers pushed me up against the wall and took advantage of me.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
Updated On: 8/27/04 at 04:09 PM

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#14re: RUDE USHERS

Was he dressed like a Cat?

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#15re: RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 4:10pm

No, but he looked like Eartha Kitt.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

LadyGuenevere
#16re: RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 4:11pm

This wasn't Broadway, but at the Papermill Playhouse, not one single usher came to me. They went to the people in front of me, behind me, everyone else.

I felt so stupid standing there (I was 15 at the time- that was a total nightmare for me) so I went to the box that they kept their programs, grabbed one, and turned around when an usher tapped me on the shoulder. "What are you doing, miss?"

I stalked off after saying "Ushering myself." Updated On: 8/27/04 at 04:11 PM

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#17re: RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 4:12pm

An usher slapped you.
Wow. Most ushers are very nice.
The Q one was a comedy routine. She must have another job as a Lion Tamer.
re: RUDE USHERS

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#18re: RUDE USHERS

Matt,

Don't pretend you didn't enjoy it.

Akiva

Phantom487
#19re: RUDE USHERS

Phantom2 - LOL... he was evil....

Mabel - I too won my Avenue Q tickets in the the lottery, and I went to call my friend to tell her I won, and this usher was like "NO CELL PHONES IN THE THEATRE!"... but I was in the Lobby... infront of the box office! She was like "Get outside!". I just remember hear alot of yelling by this one female African American usher in the hall way that leads from the Lobby to the Theatre....

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#20re: RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 4:13pm

When I saw WICKED, the munchkin ushers crawled between my legs and started gnawing at my ankles.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#21re: RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 4:15pm

That is the usher I am talking about.
Ha ha.
I did not even bring my cell into the theater for fear she would freak out.
The second time I saw the Show there were some rude guys a few rows in front of me. They were esorted out like criminals.
Tom Hanks was there that night.
They didn't do anything.

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#22re: RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 4:18pm

Phantom487...guess I caught them on a nice day! Actually, the first time I went to Q (also won the lotto) the usher snapped at our row not to touch the stage or put our feet up against the wall of the stage...guess it can be pretty touch and go...though I have to say it can be a royal pain ushering. I ushered for NAT's Arturo Ui (w/ Pacino and co.) and it was always a madhouse at the theatre. I ran into some Crazies (yep, w/ a Capital C!!!)

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#23re: RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 4:20pm

With all this rude usher talk you'd think Ms Edna was working double jobs and stiffing people while showing them to their seats.

NBRISBY Profile Photo
NBRISBY
#24re: RUDE USHERS
Posted: 8/27/04 at 4:21pm

When I saw Marcel Marceau, this black usher was in white face (how rude!), and he didn't say anything to me! I was like, "you're a bitch!"