CARRIE Musical Petition

Ludovico
#0CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 7/29/03 at 10:54pm

A recent petition has been posted onto the internet in regards to a release for the musical rights of "Carrie." Currently, there havebeen approx. 280 signatures. Please add YOUR signature as well at http://www.petitiononline.com/carrie88/petition.html

Roscoe
#1re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 7/30/03 at 9:41am

Why on earth would anyone want the musical rights to Carrie?

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#2re: re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 7/30/03 at 10:46am

And what's your screen name from, Ludovico?

Not Clockwork Orange?

Or is it?

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Gothampc
#3re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 7/30/03 at 5:57pm

First, someone should check with the authors to see if they even want it released. Petitioning won't do any good if the authors refuse the rights.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

sideshowfan Profile Photo
sideshowfan
#4re: re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 7/31/03 at 3:01pm

I believe that the situation with this is that he rights are owned by four people and all but one wants to give the rights. It has been said hat this person still cannot get over the embarresement carrie was. I actually don't mind the music so I signed the petition so that one day we might be able to hae a very well revised productin of this.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#5re: re: re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 7/31/03 at 3:09pm

Dean Pitchford won't release the rights. He doesn't even list it in his bio.

#6re: re: re: re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 7/31/03 at 3:17pm

Unsuspecting Hearts is such a good song. If they could somehow revamp it so it's not corny as hell, then maybe so.

broadwayguy2
#7re: re: re: re: re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 7/31/03 at 3:21pm

Carrie is not a story suited to camp. that is what trashed it.

#8re: re: re: re: re: re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 7/31/03 at 3:28pm

yah i know and take a look at the cast!
wasnt it Betty Buckley, Linzi Hately, Charlotte D'Amboise and wasn't Lilias White in it at sometime??!!

orion59 Profile Photo
orion59
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 7/31/03 at 3:41pm

So, a petition is worthless if the person who owns the rights does not want to release it. I don't why anyone would want the rights to be available unless they're banking on the sheer cult value of teh show to draw in an audience. That number of people would most likely be limited to very small community theaters.

http://www.danperezgallery.com

#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 7/31/03 at 3:58pm

A Concert version could be do-able and yet what would happen to the blood and gore not to mention the dance numbers which were supposed to be freakin awful..

The music goes from so bad...so bad..

and then...comes a number like

And Eve Was Weak

and your blown away because you can see or hear what this could have been had they gotten rid of Debbie Allen, cut the dance numbers and made this almost a "chamber musical"...

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 7/31/03 at 4:09pm

'Carrie' is an excellent idea for a moody, gothic, heavy musical.

Once it went the route of 'Flashdance' they'd butchered any chance the material had of meaning anything.

But they killed a potentially powerful propety and story.

PJ
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 7/31/03 at 5:19pm

Perhaps Carrie would have favored better had it been a play rather than a musical.

WTripleThreat Profile Photo
WTripleThreat
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 7/31/03 at 7:14pm

i found this website with more info on the show and downloadable mp3s if anyone's interested.
Carrie The Musical

*dramatic pause*kick-ball-change*riff/ad-lib high note* gotta love cher

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 7/31/03 at 9:15pm

I don't think the fact that it was a musical hurt it. The fact that it was an AWFUL musical hurt it. It's a very operatic and powerful story, ripe for songs, for mood and for music. They just did a really bad job at adapting it by trying to make it something written from the point of view of late 80's teeny-boppers instead of having a more sensible score and tone.

#15 CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 9/9/03 at 10:52pm

RobActorGuy....The woman you think that was played by Lillias White was actually Darlene Love. She was from LEADER OF THE PACK fame.

Musetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
#16re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 9/9/03 at 11:48pm

Petitions don't work.

FindingNamo
#17re: re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 9/10/03 at 8:08am

Rob and Jon, you're both right! Lilias White was Darlene Love's stand by. I ran up to Lilias White after seeing the first Carrie preview, she had exited the theater with Gene Anthony Ray (TV's Leroy). I told her how much I loved her in the Dreamgirls tour and she thanked me profusely and told me what a fun show that was to do. I really had nothing to say to TV's Leroy.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

QueenS
#18re: re: re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 9/10/03 at 8:49am

"Darlene Love of LEADER OF THE PACK fame"

Actually, she's Darlene Love of Darlene Love fame. Still recording and touring today, she's perhaps best known as the 60's back-up singer who went solo with the hits "Da Do Run Run," "The Boy I'm Going to Marry" and "Please Come Home."

She actually played herself in Leader of the Pack...

FindingNamo
#19re: re: re: re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 9/10/03 at 8:58am

Thank you Queen, I will now have "Da Doo Run Run" in my head all day. At least it's Darlene's version and not Shaun Cassidy's. Of "Blood Brothers" fame.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

QueenS
#20re: re: re: re: re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 9/10/03 at 9:26am

Ha ha, Namo!

"Her name was JILL?" I think not, Shaun.

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#21re: re: re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 9/10/03 at 9:39am

"I really had nothing to say to TV's Leroy. "

Namo...you must be kicking yourself!

#22CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 9/10/03 at 9:58am

I guess I assumed that people here sometimes would know a famous person via the broadway show. Sorry guys!

Darlene Love of Darlene Love fame. CARRIE Musical Petition

lensman55 Profile Photo
lensman55
#23re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 9/10/03 at 10:31am

>RobActorGuy....The woman you think that was played by Lillias >White was actually Darlene Love. She was from LEADER OF THE >PACK fame.

And let's not forget the Lethal Weapon series!

"Now and then life hits you on the back of the head with a sock full of wet porridge. How you handle that is up to you." - Tim Rice

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#24re: re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 9/10/03 at 2:13pm

if you really like Ms. Love, she'll be touring nationally in a NUNSENSE all-"star" package this fall.

P.S. Lillias White is genius. For more interesting tidbits on CARRIE and other flops, try NOT SINCE CARRIE by Mandelbaum.

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

Videos