Jessica Grove...

BwayTheatre11
#0Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/29/04 at 6:46pm

Wow, this is such amazing news! Jessica will be appearing in the World Premiere of "Was" with the Human Race Theatre Company is Dayton, OH. As I mentioned a little while back, this is the theatre I worked with at my technical theatre camp. Scott, the technical director was telling me about this show. It reminds me a lot of Wicked...

Two worlds, set one hundred years apart, collide in this breathtaking new musical by this award-winning team.-Based on the celebrated cult novel by Geoff Ryman, WAS begins in the 1870's when a newly orphaned young girl named Dorothy Gael is sent to live with her aunt and uncle in the desolate region of Manhattan, Kansas. - Jump to the 1980's where Jonathan, a successful actor obsessed with The Wizard of Oz, journeys to Kansas desperately searching for some proof of Dorothy Gael's existence. WAS, in its world premiere production, offers a compelling and richly tuneful footnote to L. Frank Baum's timeless story, as well as a uniquely memorable evening in the theater.(Not recommended for children)

Sounds good, huh? People have only said good things about her and to know she will be somewhere I can see her perform is great! I will most-likely get to go backstage and meet her, too. Max von Essen performed here a couple of seasons ago. I wish I would have known all of this when I was down there!

Was
OCTOBER 14 - 31, 2004
Loft Theatre

CCM '10!
Updated On: 8/29/04 at 06:46 PM

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#1re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/29/04 at 6:48pm

Will this be a musical?

BwayTheatre11
#2re: Jessica Grove...

Yes.

CCM '10!

#3re: Jessica Grove...

I truly believe Jessica will have that breakthrough role that will make her a big Broadwy star someday. Maybe this is it?

Derek2
#4re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/29/04 at 7:17pm

She really is great. She's proven she can handle a huge role (Dorothy). I saw her in Millie and she is just great. I also saw her play Sarah Brown in a production of Guys and Dolls. It was a small production and yet her performance was EXCELLENT! I cant wait

BwayTheatre11
#5re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/29/04 at 7:25pm

I am so excited to see her live!

CCM '10!

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#6re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/29/04 at 8:57pm

Jessica Grove is absolutely one of the most talented performers on Broadway in my opinion. I have a been a HUGE fan of hers since the Wizard of Oz and will forever be. This sounds like an incredible show, and an amazing role for her. I would LOVE for something like this to come to Broadway. A completely original show starring a fabulous actress.

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#7re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/30/04 at 6:22am

Yay Jessica!

I have never met a sweeter person than Jessica, and she is so supremely talented. I can't wait to see her originate a starring role!

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#8re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/30/04 at 9:18am

When will Disney hire her? She has such a disney voice lol..I wish she'd be Belle.

showstopper
#9re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/30/04 at 11:13am

She really deserves to be a big star. I hope this is her big break through.

broadwayguy2
#10re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/30/04 at 12:10pm

YAY for Jess....

amen Kuhn. Jessica needs ONE role and that is all. she is a performer that you will remember when you see her....

I will NEVER forget the first time I saw Jess onstage... all I could think was 'wow'.

Amneris, she was almost Belle once. and Belle is one theroles she wants to play some day.

ponine24601
#11re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/30/04 at 12:12pm

i wish that i could hear jess's voice. i really need to find the wizard of oz cd. i want to hear her as miss dorothy though! i know that she is going to make it very far.

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

Derek2
#12re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/30/04 at 12:46pm

she's had good luck with characters named dorothy...:)

Jasey
#13re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:28pm

I saw Jessica in the Encores production of Bye Bye Birdie recently. I thought she did a wonderful job in that role and really look forward to seeing her in new projects also! Did anyone else see her in Bye Bye Birdie? (sorry if I missed your post)

BroadwayGal Profile Photo
BroadwayGal
#14re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:40pm

I saw her in Millie a few times and in Bye Bye Birdie... SO GOOD as Kim. Jessica is one of my favorite performers. She has such a presence up onstage. I've never seen her as Miss Dorothy but she was such a standout in the ensemble that I looked up her name in the program and then went to see her at City Center in BBB. I wish I could go see "Was"! Enjoy the show to whoever sees it!

*Don't dream too far, don't lose sight of who you are*

Jasey
#15re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:45pm

Wow - that's quite a compliment to a performer - to pick the person out of the ensemble and then follow their career. Great job on your part!

Jasey
#16re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:45pm

Wow - that's quite a compliment to a performer - to pick the person out of the ensemble and then follow their career. Great job on your part!

Hank
#17re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/30/04 at 8:25pm

I first noticed Jessica Grove as Miss Dorothy in Thoroughly Modern Millie at the final perforfomance, after seeing the show six times with Sutton Foster and Angela Christian, and I just have to say that as much as I loved the origionals, Jessica just knocked me out!
Thank you so much for this update, and I can't wait to see her on a NY stage again soon.

BroadwayGal Profile Photo
BroadwayGal
#18re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/30/04 at 10:17pm

Haha thanks Jasey. But really I was just like WOW that girl is awesome. And then I bought the Wizard of Oz recording with her on it haha. Jessica is great. =)

*Don't dream too far, don't lose sight of who you are*

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#19re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/30/04 at 11:45pm

I saw Jessica in Bye Bye Birdie, too. I thought she did a great job. I like when the role of Kim is played a bit less soprano-y, though. Nonetheless, she was spectacular, as always.

Sheri Profile Photo
Sheri
#20re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:33am

Wow - what great news! I really liked Jessica when I saw her as Miss Dorothy in the closing weekend of Millie. That's so great for her!

Phantom487
#21re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:38am

Sounds like an awesome show!

Jessica was great as Dorothy in "The Wizard of Oz" at MSG! Updated On: 8/31/04 at 12:38 AM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#22re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:40am

I saw Jessica Grove in TMM, but only as Rita, not Miss Dorothy.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

broadwayguy2
#23re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 11:11am

I am SOO glad that Jess is getting all this love and attention! re: Jessica Grove...

BwayTheatre11
#24re: Jessica Grove...
Posted: 9/2/04 at 3:55pm

YAY! You cannot imagine how exciting this is for me! I get to see her in the show...and hopefully get to go backstage! Knowing that I worked at this theatre makes me smile...especially when it is getting all of this attention.
Story

CCM '10!
Updated On: 9/2/04 at 03:55 PM

Videos