Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#0Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 1:48pm

I believe this is long overdo
Please contribute anyway you can to the Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
The Original Broadway Version (Dec 20, 1981 - Aug 11, 1985)
The Revival Broadway Version (Jun 28, 1987 - Nov 29, 1987)
The Actor's Fund Concert (Sep 24, 2001)
Anything you can as long as it's related to Dreamgirls!

#1re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 1:50pm

What happened to Ben Harney- what a gorgeous man!

NuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
#2re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 1:50pm

Effie is a mighty cool name.
-d.b.j-

Vary My Days.

Plum
#3re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 1:51pm

Where's Margo? :)

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#4re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 1:51pm

I think this musical has soooo much potential that hasn't even been taped at. It is so "straight to the heart" and beautiful and the songs are SUPERB.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#5re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 1:53pm

The original production was an amazing theatrical experience, the likes I haven't seen since.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#6re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 1:55pm

I haven't seen a production at all, but I have the OBC and the concert recording and the are PHEMOMENOL

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

DiRrTy_ReNtHEAD420 Profile Photo
DiRrTy_ReNtHEAD420
#7re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 1:58pm

Just wondering if anyone seen Frenchie as the lead in Pitts.??

No Other Road.. No Other Way.. No Day But Today! Live Dirty, Play Dirrty, I am DIRRTY!

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#8re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 2:02pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It is the single most important musical written i the last 25 years. It the the most satisfying and sophisticated of all pop operas ever to play Broadway. It dealt with racial issues in such a way as to make them an American issue, instead of simply (or not) black issue. It took the translating of film techniques to the Broadway staged first made popular by Jerome Robbins to its zenith. Its score stayed remarkably faithful to the soul and pop sounds of the time period, but it also remained brilliantly theatrical.

DREAMGIRLS pointed the way to the future. And we have not listened.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#9re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 2:11pm

robbiej u have said a mouthful....next to west side story this is my ALL TIME FAVORITE..it's the first musical i ever saw LIVE ON STAGE and with the ORIGINAL CAST. I wore out my original cast Lp and when it returned to broadway in 1987 in a slightly altered version i went 5 times and had the opportunity to take my mother to see it with me...her enjoyment was worth the price of admission as i turned to her during the ACT I finale and saw tears streaming down her face and saw her rise to her feet at the very end!

This show is AMAZING!

broadwaystar2b
#10re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 2:22pm

Well, for me, Dreamgirls is one of the first musicals I ever heard. My father was so obsessed with the show that he brought the vinyl, the cassette tape, and the CD of the OBCR so he could listen to it in any medium. We still listen to it on a regular basis in the car.
And Jennifer Holliday will always remain my original Broadway Star. I had the priveldge to see her by complete accident in Chicago a few years ago and hearing her sing live was one of the most thrilling theatrical experiences of my life.
THE most thrilling theatrical experience of my life would have to be finally being able to see her play Effie in Dreamgirls when she revived her original part in Atlanta at the Fox Theatre.
I've always know that the OBCR was less than faithful in perserving the show's complete score but had no idea how much until I saw that production. I have since bought the Actor's Fund Concert CD and it is rarely far from my CD caddy. Another bizarre stroke of luck is that the AF concert's Curtis was none other than Norm Lewis, the very man I saw play Curtis regionally, so now I also have a recording of him singing the role as well.
If I have any regrets about this show, it's that I was not able to see the original production but I wasn't even a fetus back then. In fact, Dreamgirls is also very important to me because not long after my dad took my mom out on a date to see it, he proposed to her.
My only other regret about this show is that I will sadly never be cast in it unless a production needs an extra Sweetheart for Dave.
Updated On: 9/1/04 at 02:22 PM

sfs1414
#11re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 2:28pm

Frenchie was amazing in Pittsburgh. But we can't forget Norm Lewis and Billy Porter.

MargoChanning
#12re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 2:35pm

Last I heard, Ben Harney decided to leave show biz back in the late 80's/early 90's and I believe he's working with inner city kids up in Harlem or in one of the outer boroughs. Can't remember the details, but when somebody tracked him down (around the time of the Dreamgirls 25th Anniversary concert), he seemed very flattered that people remembered him and very happy with his present life (it sounded quite fulfilling).

I saw Dreamgirls something like 8 or 9 times -- 5 times on Broadway including the OBC, and various road tours afterwards. Bennett's was the single greatest piece of staging I've ever encountered -- a masterclass in direction. Robin Wagner's, Tharon Musser's and Theoni V. Aldredge's designs were all brilliant and the original cast was one of the finest ever assembled. The book is a marvel of economy and the score, always underrated, was one of the most successful fusings of pop, rock, r&b and even rap that ever occurred within a Broadway context ("And I Am Telling You" spent 4 weeks at number one on the Billboard R&B chart and several weeks in the Top 40 of the Pop charts, peaking at #24 -- the only non-cover single taken directly from a Broadway cast album to hit number one on ANY Billboard Chart in the last three decades).

The show is a landmark in the history of the American Theatre -- hopefully it'll make it back to Broadway in the very near future.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#13re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 2:38pm

LOL..broadwaystar2b, its great to know you at least got to see it on-stage...and with jennifer holliday, so thats a good thing.
i'm 34 now so i was around 12 when i saw dreamgirls for the first time.

NBRISBY Profile Photo
NBRISBY
#14re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 2:41pm

Questions that probably Margo can answer:

What happened to Arnetia Walker and Alisa Gyse (who played Lorelle and Deena in the revival)?

I've heard some great things about them, and just wanna know what theyve been up to...apparently not performing on Bway.

MargoChanning
#15re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 2:47pm

Wasn't Alisa Gyse in the Atlanta Fox Theatre production of "Dreamgirls" a couple of years ago? I think she's STILL out there playing Deena.

Arnetia (one of my favorite Lorells) is in LA, I believe. Wasn't she on a sitcom not long ago?

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#16re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 2:50pm

re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread

The late great Michael Bennett during "Dreamgirls" rehearsals with his two leading ladies: Jennifer Holliday (Effie) and Sheryl Lee Ralph (Deena).

NBRISBY Profile Photo
NBRISBY
#17re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 2:54pm

Are there things you don't know, Margo. You're my new favorite person.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#18re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 2:57pm

Jennifer Holliday was a tough act to follow but out of all the "Effies" that came after her I would put Lillias White at the top of my list.

As far as "Deenas" go Sheryl Lee Ralph was awesome...I fell in love with this woman! Alisa Gyse was good but I didn't care for Linda Leilani Brown, who looked very much like the singer "Deena" is based on but vocally left alot to be desired.

Ben Harney outstanding as Curtis Taylor, Jr. with Weyman Thompson and Norm Lewis coming in second and third in my book

Loretta Devine was hilarious as Lorell full of sass and warmth...truly talented woman. Arnetia Walker was great in this role as well.

Cleavant Derricks literally tore down the house as James Thunder Early and although many have tried no one has come even close to touching him in this role.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#19re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 3:00pm

Arnetia Walker, one of my Favorite Lorrells, starred on the sitcom NURSES years ago.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#20re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 3:01pm

Yes Margo , Arnetia's currently in the sit-com "The Big House" with Keith David and Yvette Nicole Brown. Updated On: 9/1/04 at 03:01 PM

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#21re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 3:10pm

I think it's worth pointing out that except for Frank Rich in The New York Times, Dreamgirls got the most clueless set of reviews of any major musical for the last 25 years. If you ever want to see how off the mark critics can be, check out those original notices. You'll be shocked.

Rich was the one critic who recognized the innovations in staging, direction, design and performance in Dreamgirls, and how the show was a spiritual cousin to Gypsy, and Jerome Robbins' legendary staging of that landmark musical. Everyone else, almost to a man, blasted Dreamgirls as all style and no substance, and criticized the score as Motown pastiche, with save for a moment or two, it's not.

Rich's unwavering support of Dreamgirls may have backfired when the show lost the 1982 Tony for Best Musical to the interesting, sumptuous, but to me, less satisfying Nine.

Dreamgirls got the last laugh, however, running almost twice as long as Nine.

The 1987 national tour/revival, which played the Ambassador, featured less bells and whistles, and Bennett correctly predicted to the authors that their work would be better received that time around. Of course, nearly every critic did a reversal, finally catching up on what Rich had been saying all along.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

MargoChanning
#22re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 3:23pm

Jennifer was definitive as Effie. As for second place, I think Julia McGirt was actually better than Lillias in the role (Lillias understudied her at one point) -- a similar-sounding voice, but with a full four octave range (her sound reminded me of a cross between Dionne Warwick and Patti Labelle). She also had extraordinary breath control -- she sometimes took the last verse up an octave from Jennifer (and everybody else) and could sustain "You're gonna love meeeeeeeee" for a full 15 seconds (the audience would go absolutely crazy at this). A terrific actress too. Roz Ryan was OK (too bitchy IMO and not as vocally impressive as others). Brenda Pressley was the most bizarre-sounding (a bit too much opera training). Sharon Brown acted the heck out of the part, but was perhaps a bit too smooth vocally.

Harney was a great Curtis as was Vondie Curtis Hall, but I think Norm Lewis sings it better than Harney or anyone else.

Derricks was also nearly definitive as Jimmy Early. His twin brother Clinton Derricks-Carroll (he was adopted by Vinnette Carroll..... long story) was nearly as good (same look and voice, but a little less passion). David Alan Grier of "In Living Color" fame was also terrific -- very funny as you can imagine with a nice voice. Herbert Rawlings, Jr was also quite good.

Loretta Devine handled Lorrell's high belt probably better than anyone and was a great comedienne. Arnetia Walker oozed sex in the role and had big brassy voice (as did her sister Fuchsia). Terry Burrell was very funny and vocally at sea.

I don't think there is a definitive Deena. Sheryl Lee Ralph was very good, as were Debbie Burrell and LaChanze.

broadwaystar2b
#23re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 3:57pm

Yes, Alisa Gyse was Deena at the Fox. I saw her!

The Fox Theatre Cast:

Effie- Jennifer Holliday

Deena- Alisa Gyse

Curtis- Norm Lewis

Jimmy- Eugene Fleming

Marty- James Stovall

Lorrell- Ramona Keller

CC- Joe Wilson Jr

Michelle- Ginai (also a Stepp Sister)

Edna/ Effie U/S- Sondra M. Bonitto

The Stepp Sisters- Tracee Beazer, April Nixon & Nikki Renee Daniels

Charlene- Conisha Wade

Joanne- Tanesha Gary-Stickney

Little Albert & The Tru Tones- Terrence McKinnley Clowe, Ivory McKay, Parnell Damone, Rick Delancy, Andravy, Martin Thorton

Tiny Joe Dixon- Richard E. Waits

Dave- Paul Castree

Sweethearts- Stacey Harris & Manoly Farell

The M.C.- Gil Pritchett

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#24re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/1/04 at 4:04pm

Excellent post magruder! Updated On: 9/1/04 at 04:04 PM

Videos