THE WIZ

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#0THE WIZ
Posted: 9/16/04 at 7:44pm

For sometime now they keep saying that THE WIZ is coming back to Broadway and then they keep pushing that date back for the show.
Does anybody know what the deal is?

Facebook...ME !!!

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#1re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/16/04 at 8:53pm

Thank you, unmasked! I was just about to ask if anyone had the latest scoop on the revival.

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

Derek2
#2re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/16/04 at 9:50pm

Mary-Bond Davis (I think thats her name. The woman who plays Motormouth Maybelle in Hairspray?) was considering playing the part of Evilene. Im not sure about that. Anika Noni Rose was asked to play Dorothy but said no. They also wanted Philysia Rachad (once again, sorry about the spelling) to play Glinda (a role she originally understudied) but I think she also said no. Now I hear they want Brenda Braxton to maybe play the part (I dont know if she will because shes a great dancer and that role requires no dancing). My friend works for their producing company and the last time I spoke to her was about a month ago so I dont know whats been changed

PS- If she wasnt so tall, I would love to see Heather Headley as Dorothy!

FosseBoi
#3re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/16/04 at 10:33pm

I dident know that Heather Headly was tall! How tall is she!? What about Leslie Uggums (T M Millie) as Glinda? I think that she could do it!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#4re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/16/04 at 10:46pm

Why would Anika Rose Noni pass that up? It's the perfect direction for her career. This is the time when she would have a lead.

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#5re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 12:02am

That role would be perfect for Anika
Here would be my choose for the cast.
Dorothy: Anika Rose(Caroline, or Change)
Glinda: Deborah Cox(AIDA)
Evilene: Jennifer Holiday (DREAMGIRLS)
The Wiz: Andre De Shields (The Full Monty)even better..Luther Vadross
Addaperle: Tyler Perry( MADEA...ect)
Scarecrow: Ginuwine
Tin Man: Terry Tony
Lion: NO CLUE

Facebook...ME !!!

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#6re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 1:44am

i think KRISTIN should be glinda since she already played the part and almost won a tony for it!!!!!!

re: THE WIZ

(ps) WHOS INTO IDINA AS DOROTHY THIS TIME???

your posts give me mono Profile Photo
your posts give me mono
#7re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 1:51am

omg kristin would be so perfect for that role! or even dorothy! do you think she could play that young??

THE WIZ WOULD SO TOTALLY ROCK IF SHE WAS IN IT!!!

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#8re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 2:05am

no but for real, jenny h as evilene would be the hottest thing i have ever seen. EVER.

sweetiedarlinmia Profile Photo
sweetiedarlinmia
#9re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 2:10am

I like some of your choices Unmasked. Andre De Shields was the Wiz in the original and I think that's who I saw in the tour. Can't be sure though.

I would love to see Darius De Haas as the Scarecrow. Well, I would just love to see Darius anyways...

Is there somewhere where Norm Lewis could be inserted?

Not sure about Ginuwine though. Updated On: 9/17/04 at 02:10 AM

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#10re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 10:20am

HAHAHAH
I only said Ginuwine cause I was running out of people, but I can see Darius De Haas as the scarecrow

Facebook...ME !!!

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#11re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 10:25am

"Is there somewhere where Norm Lewis could be inserted?"
ummm - I have a few ideas...LOL...
Anywhoo - Leslie Uggams as Glinda is an inspired choice. I wonder why Anika Noni Rose turned down the role of Dorothy? I've though all along that she would be the best choice of all the current crop of actresses who are the right type. hmmmmm....

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#12re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 10:31am

Chuck Cooper as the Lion!!!

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#13re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 10:46am

My guess - and it's only a guess0 - regarding Ms. Rose is that she may not be willing to jump into another 16-year-old-ish character so soon after CAROLINE.

And I don't blame her.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

redhotinnyc2
#14re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 10:49am

robbiej - why? do you think she'd be pidgeon-hole'd into teen roles? I know that it happens - but she's SO frigging talented - just by the use of her voice alone in Caroline, she proved to me that she could play all ages... I think she's pretty damned tremendous. I'd love to see her do Dorothy, but if she thinks it would slow her career down - then maybe you're right.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#15re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 10:53am

Well...I can only respond as if I were Anika Noni Rose (and believe me, sometimes I think I am).

If I were her, I would immediately try to find a role in which I were a bit more adult...maybe a little sexy (no...FROM JUSTIN TO KELLY does NOT count!).

My whole perspective on acting (probably cause I'm more of a character actor than anything else) is once you do something...and do something well, run in the opposite direction.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

redhotinnyc2
#16re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 11:01am

its interesting to hear your take on it all. I'm definitely a character actor, so when people look at me and tell me that I've grown into "leading man"..it scares the hell out of me - and also, I find most leading men to be boring as hell - its the characters that I love playing (gimme Hook anyday!)...my only lead so far that has been more anti-leading man, has been the Don in Man of La Mancha - he's not a handsome and sought-after hunk, but a character (or two, actually) with a lot to say - thats the kind of role I like to play.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#17re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 11:49am

I thought this was going to be a multi-racial cast. I still think Ann Harada as Eviline would be great.

PEACE.

broadwayguy2
#18re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 12:25pm

yes, they are going for a mixed cast.

Princess MimiChica Profile Photo
Princess MimiChica
#19re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 12:28pm

isn't Marcy Harriel playing Dorothy?! I know she sang the role at some event not too long ago...she'd be PERFECT because she's tiny and adorable and has an amazing voice =) We NEED this woman back on the Broadway stage!!!

broadwayguy2
#20re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 12:30pm

not as Dorothy we don't.

part of why The movie didn't wrk was having an older Dorothy. You need a young/reads as young Dorothy.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#21re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 1:29pm

I don't know if she can sing, but I would love to see Jackée Harry as Evilene. Anyone remember her from 227?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

redhotinnyc2
#22re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 2:34pm

I think Eviline should be played by Jenifer Lewis (of "Jackie's Back" fame)

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#23re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 2:40pm

Jenifer Lewis, definitely!!! how about Jackee as Glinda!!!

sweetiedarlinmia Profile Photo
sweetiedarlinmia
#24re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 2:46pm

I love Jenifer Lewis as Eviline and Chuck Cooper as the Lion!

Ok so if Anika won't do it re: THE WIZ , then any ideas?

Videos