Chicago DVD Today

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#0Chicago DVD Today
Posted: 8/19/03 at 6:17am

I will pick up my copy today. I do wish however that instead of "Class" being an extra that it had been reedited into the film from whence it was removed to make it part of the movie. I also wish that "Mr Cellophane's" lyrics had not been so eviscerated in the film . I notice that in many musicals numbers are severely trimmed. To those who never saw the show, they do not know what they are missing. The rest of us know what was done.

Poster Emeritus

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#1re: Chicago DVD Today
Posted: 8/19/03 at 6:31am

They are completely different mediums though and if Rob Marshall had just filmed the stage show, we'd have all been whining that he'd done exactly that. He HAD to make changes for many reasons and Class had to go because it was inaccurate to their vision (it's presented as an actual number, not a fantasy inside Roxie's head). Seeing the film should make you want to see it on stage and vice versa.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#2re: re: Chicago DVD Today
Posted: 8/19/03 at 12:37pm

What ever happened to the announced theatrical re-release with Class re-inserted? Did that happen anywhere?

PEACE.

Paulie
#3re: re: re: Chicago DVD Today
Posted: 8/19/03 at 1:12pm

Sueleen, it never happened as far as I am aware of.

I work at a drugstore which received a shipment of CHICAGO on Saturday. Naturally, I bought my copy that day and watched every minute of it that night.

Wasn't too impressed with "Class." Good thing it was taken out. Still a great movie though. I wish I had the widescreen version, however. Fullscreen isn't working for me. Just a personal peeve, I guess.

BwayTheatre11
#4re: re: re: re: Chicago DVD Today
Posted: 8/19/03 at 1:29pm

Is class on the VHS too? I can't wait to get this today!

CCM '10!

sondheimfreak
#5re: re: re: re: re: Chicago DVD Today
Posted: 8/19/03 at 6:10pm

Here's something that's always been bugging me: How do Kander and Ebb fit in Roxie's head writing songs for her imagination? Sorry, but that's just a thought. And she's singing "Nowadays" after the trial and it cuts to her singing it an audition. Does her mind print the sheet music she imagines?

"I don't understand. Everything's coming up Roses' WHAT?"-Jerome Robbins to Stephen Sondheim

Roscoe
#6re: re: re: re: re: re: Chicago DVD Today
Posted: 8/19/03 at 6:30pm

I have it on my queue at Netflix. I can't wait to see it again so I can confirm whether or not it is the worst movie ever made. Not that I really doubt it, of course.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Chicago DVD Today
Posted: 8/19/03 at 7:29pm

Just got, for $ 16, the widescreen edition of Chicago. I also picked up, for $ 10 each, Hello Dolly & All That Jazz. Can't get more diverse than this bunch of DVD'S

Poster Emeritus

Cutiepie2
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Chicago DVD Today
Posted: 8/19/03 at 7:46pm

Kewl!! I cant wayt toget Chicago DVD!! It is the coolest movie ever and so good!! re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Chicago DVD Today

I'm so cute!! That's what they tell me! They tell me I'm so cute!!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Chicago DVD Today
Posted: 8/19/03 at 7:56pm

In this weeks New York Magazine, John Simon calls Chicago " a wretched movie version" This is for all you boys & girls who think he mellowed with his review of "Boobs". Turns out the only boob is John Simon

Poster Emeritus

PJ
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Chicago DVD Today
Posted: 8/19/03 at 8:39pm

Chicago was a great film. It brought a taste of theatre into American Cinemas...which was long overdo. Also, it made audiences want to see the stage production.

Hello Gorgeous
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Chicago DVD Today
Posted: 8/19/03 at 8:43pm

I loved Chicago. For the talent show this year, we (5 other people and I) were going to do "The Cell Block Tango" but it fell through. I can't wait to get the DVD!

~*Christa*~ "Don't ya wanna be the life of the party?" Idina Menzel, THE WILD PARTY

Madame X Profile Photo
Madame X
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Chicago DVD Today
Posted: 8/19/03 at 9:56pm

is it a 1 dvd or 2 dvd set?

"Some of us have it worse, you know, Dana. Some of us are dating lesbian men. Okay? C'mon."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Chicago DVD Today
Posted: 8/19/03 at 10:21pm

One DVD

Poster Emeritus

#14Chicago DVD Today
Posted: 8/19/03 at 10:48pm

I bought it today for 13.99 at FYE (wuth mail in rebate) Already watched it twice... I have no life. Updated On: 8/20/03 at 10:48 PM

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#15re: Chicago DVD Today
Posted: 8/20/03 at 12:35am

I got my copy in widescreen for $20 dollars at Target today. I watched it once and I'm really looking forward to watching it over and over again tomorrow. Thank the heavens for summer break.

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

BwayTheatre11
#16re: re: Chicago DVD Today
Posted: 8/20/03 at 12:36am

Yes the VHS is 15.99 at Target. Did you get the DVD?

CCM '10!

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Chicago DVD Today
Posted: 8/20/03 at 3:42am

"Kewl!! I cant wayt toget Chicago DVD!! It is the coolest movie ever and so good!!"

You are sooo CUTE! Has anyone ever told you how CUTE you are? If not let me just tell you that you are the CUTEST thing to EVER post on this board!!!!! :) :) :)

PEACE.

Hank
#18re: re: re: Chicago DVD Today
Posted: 8/20/03 at 9:40am

I paid $15.99 for the full screen dvd at the Target in Linden, NJ, today I saw it for $25.99 in A&P. $19.45 @ Amazon.com.
It's great that now I can watch it anytime I want, but I kind of miss seeing it on the big screen. Updated On: 8/20/03 at 09:40 AM

Bway_Mill_Fan Profile Photo
Bway_Mill_Fan
#19re: re: re: re: Chicago DVD Today
Posted: 8/20/03 at 11:35pm

lol. A&P is so overpriced! i'm surprised there are stores still open! circuit city is 15.99 dvd

Eric
#20Boobs!
Posted: 8/21/03 at 9:09am

For those who have not seen the show yet, Boobs! is a famous Ruth Wallis song and is the title song of the show. It's actually quite charming and innocent.