pixeltracker

Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?

Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?

AvalonSkysStudios Profile Photo
AvalonSkysStudios
#0Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/18/04 at 8:54pm

Over the past weeks, the star of WT has been M-I-A..
and i have been wondering...
has she returned for her final week?

And(forgive me for being repititious) but was there
an actual note and if there was.... WHAT DID IT SAY??
-avalonskys

I am not myself, but i become a character in itself, to only hope that my transformation is not of me, but of whom i characterize myself to be..
Updated On: 9/18/04 at 08:54 PM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#1re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/18/04 at 9:14pm

Regarding the note, I think it said something about she was sorry for missing so many performances, or something like that.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#2re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/18/04 at 9:29pm

OH no..
you've opened the can of worms again!

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

Spiritoflaw Profile Photo
Spiritoflaw
#3re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/19/04 at 1:39am

Her "final week" doesn't start until Tuesday 9/21/04 and I heard that Donna will try to be there. This is the best news I've heard in the last 24 hours. I hope it is true...

"If you walked on the moon or you flew by a star, is that any more remarkable than here where you are? Who would have thought it?" W. E. Kennon

Jon
#4re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/19/04 at 2:22am

Murphy's Law: Anything that can possibly go wrong - will.

Donna Murphy's Law - any way you can possibly miss a performance - you will.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#5re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/19/04 at 8:23am

joejoe and I went to tkts friday evening at about 5:30 to try for tickets to Wonderful Town, and the ticket salesman told us that she would not be back in the show at all before Brooke Shields takes over. We did NOT buy tickets.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

timote316
#6re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/19/04 at 12:02pm

Jon, watch it. I said something in another thread that somewhat was against Donna (it was my opinion), and I got blasted. Plus, I don't think anyone would find an excuse not to do what they love. Donna seems like a professional on the stage, so I doubt she'd do that.

BroadwayBaby3 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby3
#7re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/19/04 at 3:47pm

Unfortunately, she's not coming back to the show. She and Jennifer both left. The show won't be the same without her. Donna is an incredibly nice person and is very proffesional. It's not her fault she's missed shows.

Defy Gravity!!

cmleidi
#8re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/19/04 at 3:59pm

If it's not her fault, whose fault is it? Has she been held hostage since her last performance? You would think by now she'd have gnawed through the restraints.

AvalonSkysStudios Profile Photo
AvalonSkysStudios
#9re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/19/04 at 5:06pm

i wonder if the show is going to close after all..
since Brooke seems to be wanted by the company in WT,
but the show has gotten so much bad press that i wonder
if it just shouldnt close its doors.
I wish Donna the best and well.. it will not
be the same without her. I guess that is the mutual feeling
when the original star, (the first to create this role) leaves,
and then someone has to fill the shoes.. it's not easy.
but who knws, Brooke might just be great in it. i dont knw.
I hope everything turns out to be ok

I am not myself, but i become a character in itself, to only hope that my transformation is not of me, but of whom i characterize myself to be..

carlyjibsonsman001 Profile Photo
carlyjibsonsman001
#10re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/19/04 at 5:41pm

they had lots of tickets to WT at the tkts table at the flea market. and when they gave them out the said donna will be in the last week.

"are we selling food, we can make a ton of money"

Spiritoflaw
#11re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/19/04 at 6:54pm

I just don't understand this: some say Donna will be in WT for her final week, and others say she left the show... What kind of a game is this? I find it disturbing. Does it go on all the time?

"If you walked on the moon or you flew by a star, is that any more remarkable than here where you are? Who would have thought it?" W. E. Kennon

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#12re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/19/04 at 7:08pm

We've haggled and screamed, but the bottom line is, if Management knows she's left the show, say so. The broadway theater is a biz that must abide by the same consumer rules as any other. If she's sick, say that, too. If she's just bored and mad at the Weisslers, someone should kick her in the butt and tell her to put on her Ruth drag and haul ass down to the theater and perform until her contract's up. Enough already.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#13re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:21pm

Interesting that this note Donna Murphy posted backstage said she would fulfill the last TWO weeks of her contract. A mere 8 shows to go and still no sign of her. And if what redhot says is true (and I don't think he's lying) then I am beginning to suspect she has been fired.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#14re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:24pm

I find it hard to believe that that info wouldn't have been leaked by now, pop. This is the oddest situation I've ever seen...

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

popcultureboy
#15re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:25pm

Wasn't it initially leaked that she would be leaving the show on the 5th? I seem to recall that date. And that was the last date she played, according to playbill.com.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

MargoChanning
#16re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:49pm

According to a poster over at ATC, playbill got it wrong -- she wasn't in on the 5th either. He saw the show that day and Muggelson was on.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

pitrepower
#17re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:56pm

Donna is not gone for good...there is still a good chance she will show up this week. I guess we will find out tonight if she appears. Her last show since all this was the Republican convention show on Agusut 29. And no she was not fired..that is not the reason she has missed the past 3 weeks!

musicalsFan
#18re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:59pm

And no she was not fired..that is not the reason she has missed the past 3 weeks!

care to share the "real" reason?????????

Spiritoflaw
#19re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 3:17pm

She wasn't fired. Donna had a cold, and her throat was aggravated... there is no mystery to that.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#20re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 3:20pm

Ummmm... a "cold"? For how many months? And any real singer who has to stay out so long with a cold...arrgghh.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Spiritoflaw
#21re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 3:34pm

Yes, bruised vocal chords can require several weeks to heal. It's a physiological reality that comes with the human experience - not much in anyone's control - it takes time.

cocoloco
#22re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 3:39pm

Where is Murphy?

Two words... sitcom deal.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#23re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 3:49pm

Sorry, spirit, I've sung classical concerts with colds and worse. If that's what's keeping her out, she shouldn't be a professional singer.

popcultureboy
#24re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 4:33pm

Am I alone in finding it HIGHLY suspicious that a lead actress in a show can be out for three straight weeks without ANY announcement being made about it? If it were the fact she had a sitcom deal, this would have given the Weissler's the perfect out with her, but nothing. And unless she slammed her vocal chords in a door over and over again, singing a show that is as untaxing to sing as this one (it has been noted repeatedly that the show was written for someone with a 4 note range) shouldn't damage her enough to be out for three weeks. Especially when you factor in that she only missed ONE show when she was in Passion, which was, to quote Margo, a real voice eater. Something is very definitely off.

Videos