Worst show on Bway

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#0Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 9:06pm

Hey all

What do you think is currently the worst show on Broadway?

I know we are changing seasons and new shows are coming - but what show do you think is bad?

Please write WHY

If you find the need to do so, you can write what soem of the worst shows there are on broadway!

"I've often said I should put sweets in my chair - they'd spend less time on my a** that way....." ~F.W.B.

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#1re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 9:07pm

Caroline or Change

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 9:08pm

Caroline has closed but I agree

Poster Emeritus

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#3re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 9:11pm

Phantom of the Opera

The music seemed to drag on and on. I did enjoy (and perhaps one of my favorite scenes on B'way (ironically) was The Phantom of The Opera sequence). I did enjoy the "appearence in the mirror" and the few jokes at the beginning of the show. Overall, while the special effects were amazing - I don't feel like the music did them justice.

"I've often said I should put sweets in my chair - they'd spend less time on my a** that way....." ~F.W.B.

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#4re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 9:14pm

The Phantom of the Opera is a materpiece and the above post should be deleted.

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#5re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 9:17pm

One more rule:

Don't fight with others with whom you disagree. There's no reason!

capnkidd
#6re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 9:21pm

doesn't do to disappear those you disagree with,bronx...it's just an opinion,and pleasantly put as well....

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#7re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 9:21pm

The Phantom of the Opera is a good show with music lifted from other sources and lovely, spectacular sets and effects. It's not a masterpiece, IMHO.

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#8re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 9:25pm

Thanks Capn.....

I had to redeem myslef from that Wicked post - I'm sorry - I was trying to be funny...guess the topic was played out - my bad!

HeHe

cvapb Profile Photo
cvapb
#9re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 9:43pm

Wonderful Town... one word: BORING

Dollypop
#10re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 9:48pm

I have to agree that PHANTOM OF THE OUTHOUSE is the worst show on Broadway--and has been for many seasons. The music is lifted from Puccini, Mozart and Lerner and Loewe without giving them credit. The libretto has gaps wide enough to drive a tractor trailer through and Sarah Brightman was an absolutely dreadful choice to play Christine. She sang through her sinuses, had an overbite so large you could shovel snow with it. She was also made-up to look more like a raccoon than a human being. And two men were willing to die for her? Gimme a break!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 10/18/04 at 09:48 PM

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#11re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 9:59pm

"Overall, while the special effects were amazing"
I thought the special effects in POTO were horrible. The chandalier glides down onto the stage and the fire balls were just laughable. The lack of sound effects made it even worse. IMHO i too think poto is ONE of the worse shows playing now.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

Twilight Profile Photo
Twilight
#12re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 10:07pm

I agree with Phantom... I mean, I love it, it's a fantastic musical, but it's been around for too long, andc I honestly don't see it's appeal anymore, compared to some of the stuff that is out now.

I can't control my destiny. I trust my soul my only goal is just to be

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#13re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 10:13pm

Honestly I remember liking the effects ---

--- When I saw Wicked I said hey, they used that [behind the mirror effect] in POTO.

When I saw the show it was before all of the new special effect shows -

As I started this thread, I did not intend for it to become an I hate The Phantom of the Opera thread.

My apologies,
Ally

capnkidd
#14re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 10:18pm

clover,
you just can't win tonight...

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#15re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 10:19pm

Avenue Q's whole premise is ridiculoso!!! It lacks real talent in singing...its just a whole bunch of jingles

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#16re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 10:20pm

what is all this crap about PHANTOM OF THE OPERA? I think it holds what a lot of shows now a days miss. It is magical and feels like an old time musical in the day of shock value. I am shill when it comes to this, and I admit it. I know the show is not perfect, but it is WAY better than a lot of crap out there today.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#17re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 10:25pm

Dickon, I disagree with you but Id like to argue maturely. Q IS simple, jingle-like music and there lies its appeal! It takes talent to be so clever and to write such child like tunes. It is NOT a singing show, but an acting musical. The lyrics are mroe clever than a lot of what's on Broadway.

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#18re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 10:26pm

Spider-

YOu took the words from my brain!!! We must be twins!!!

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#19re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 10:27pm

I knew you would notice me searching your brain cavity for just the right thing to say on the message board. re: Worst show on Bway

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#20re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 10:32pm

Dracula. Lousy book, music and lyrics. A brainless musical that further lowers the bar thus further lowering audience's expectations.

#21re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 10:32pm

Musical- Dracula
It's boring- If you are an insomniac, this is the show to see.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#22re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 10:41pm

I forgot mamma mia, its a fun show but not that great.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

luvWICKED416 Profile Photo
luvWICKED416
#23re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 10:42pm

Umm... i'd prob say Saturday Night Fever, Dance of the Vampires and BKLYN

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#24re: Worst show on Bway
Posted: 10/18/04 at 10:44pm

First off,
am I clover? WHY?????
It's jmaclover as in Joey M[a]cIntyre Lover!!!

Sorry, had to say it.

On topic:

Dickon, I must admit I noticed that too. I love Avenue Q for its fun, as for story line - I didn't think much of it.

I saw Dracula in previews and did not know what to expect. Aside from that lousy actor trying to play Van Helsing as the proposed good-representative against Hewitt's Dracula, I thought the music was quite good. I think the special effects went overboard sometimes (I imagine not much changed since the preview performance I saw just before opening night).

When I heard it was written by the same person that wrote Jeckyl & Hyde (after buying my ticket) I became depressed because I did not like the music of J&H - finding it boring (POTO stylish). I was pleasantly suprised by it, however. Hopefully that <> (forgetting his name, and not caring) will leave the show before Tom Hewitt and Co., so that I may see the show with what I hope will be a strong cast.

I must admit that I was to focused on the spectacularily overdone effects to pay attention to the lyrics (which seemed to rhyme more than Molière's Tartuffe).

Anyway, does anyone know when the CD to this musical will be released - I would like to hear it without the gravity-defying distractions (and I mean that literally).