pixeltracker

What shows should be given another chance?- Page 3

What shows should be given another chance?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#50re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 11:05am

Dance of the Vampires
The Scarlet Pimpernel
The Secret Garden
Jane Eyre
Carrie
Chess
Parade
Urinetown
The Wild Party (La Chiusa)
Hello Again
A New Brain
Goldilocks
The Golden Apple
The Rothschilds
The Apple Tree
Allegro
No Strings
How Now Dow Jones
The Rink
Rags
Roza

Both Off-Broadway productions of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown did very well, but both flopped when transferred to Broadway.

I love Two Gentlemen of Verona! I really wish a revival of this would come back. I would love to see it. I like a couple of songs from Follies, but I love everything in Two Gentlemen. By the way, the score is by Galt MacDermot (Hair) and the book was adapted by John Guare (House of Blue Leaves, Six Degrees of Separation).

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 12/13/04 at 11:05 AM

scotty Profile Photo
scotty
#51re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 11:11am

CAROLINE

scotty Profile Photo
scotty
scotty Profile Photo
scotty
#53re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 11:12am

CHANGE!

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#54re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 11:15am

well, of course! How could I have forgotten one of the best shows ever written for a Broadway stage? Caroline or Change is freakin Phenomenal.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

scotty Profile Photo
scotty
futurewinnerbud
#56re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 11:27am

STEEL PIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Caroline or Change
Parade
Chess

scotty Profile Photo
scotty
#57re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 11:35am

At least the show is still living and breathing. Unfortunately not on the big 'B'!

bwayfan2
#58re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 11:41am

Taboo
Aida
The Normal Heart

Mister Matt
#59re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 11:58am

Aida? It had a long successful run and it just closed. It doesn't need a second chance.

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#60re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 12:56pm

"Aida? It had a long successful run and it just closed. It doesn't need a second chance."

Surprising, isn't it? Maybe bwayfan2 was talking about quality of the show in general, because that show should have never opened in the state it was in. I give the producers credit though, they dooped enough people into thinking it was quality work, giving them, I assume, a nice profit and a successful run. I got free tickets, and every single minute was torture. It's definitely by FAR the worst thing I've seen.

"What the hell happened to you? You look like a Make-A-Wish Kid. You know, I just knew you were gonna bring shame on this new family of ours, and it just figures you had to go make yourself over into some heroin-shootin skate board chic on the only day E! could interview you!" - Cherry Cherry, on her daughter Mary Cherry

ahhhhpoop
#61re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 1:00pm

i thought the revival of little shop was GREAT. don't know why it didn't stay on longer. i'd also like to see another revival of JCS (not like the latest one...it was horrible...should be done in the same way the original was). and of course, i'd love to see Tommy done again.

bwayfan2
#62re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 1:27pm

This thread asked a question (opinion) didn't it? Mister Matt, I respect your opinion......respect mine!

Mister Matt
#63re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 1:39pm

bwayfan2 - I guess I assumed "another chance" meant a show that originally failed either critically or financially. Otherwise, what does the phrase really mean? If someone says, "You should give _____ another chance." Doesn't that imply that something was not well-liked or well-received? Otherwise, the question would not be asked. And I in no way questioned your opinion or implied anything other than it was successful, which didn't make sense given the topic.

Updated On: 12/13/04 at 01:39 PM

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#64re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 1:42pm

SIDE SHOW. A deeply moving and intelligent show. (I think those who saw the original production on Broadway would agree.)

rKrispyt Profile Photo
rKrispyt
#65re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 2:27pm

I'm gonna say...

Violet (cause it never got enough of a chance really)
Side Show
Lippa Wild Party

If I show you the darkness I hold inside, will you bring me to light?

BJC899
#66re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 4:39pm

Seussical

#67re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 6:52pm

Side Show-- if they could have marketed it differently
Carrie-- same thing.. but try not to CAMP it up as it would work well as a chamber/dark musical
Dance of the Vampires-- leave it the way it was in Germany

Idina's BIGGEST fan Profile Photo
Idina's BIGGEST fan
#68re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 7:38pm

Little Shop of Horrors and The Wild Party

~*DeFy GrAvItY*~

seymour krelborn Profile Photo
seymour krelborn
#69re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 9:03pm

Carrie and Urinetown!

QtKt Profile Photo
QtKt
#70re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 9:31pm

Urinetown
Taboo
Caroline
YAGMCB
and Zanna,Don't! (does that count?)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#71re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 9:29pm

Superman
Inner City
Side Show
Mack & Mabel
Any Wildhorn show

Poster Emeritus

rockfenris2005
#72re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 10:58pm

Yes. Dance of the Vampires should be revived the way it was in Vienna / Stuttgart. It was such a compelling, dynamic show but they spoiled it. I wrote a long tract on it, at the Steinman message-board, about why exactly I thought it failed. It should be given another chance, in London, but in the original version that won so many hearts in Germany. Would love to see what becomes of the Japanese and Parisian productions (very amusing). The Scarlet Pimpernel is wonderful. I recently discovered this little jewel. I'm actually surprised, with the exception of a few moronic ballads, this didn't run longer than it should. It should have been (cutting out the extranneous ballads) the longest running musical since Phantom. It really meant something: was exciting entertainment, compelling material, awesome music and lyrics, great edge-of-your-seat storyline, costumes, drama, set and lighting. It had it all: and it was a sensational show. It should be brought back, in its best form (not too certain about the different versions) and given another chance. Jekyll and Hyde could also use an interesting revival, but with the songs from the Concert version and a more stable book - a MUCH MORE stable book. This should then become a hit and banish all thought of previous versions. Wildhorn should also surrender Frankenstein, if he doesn't want to make a fool of himself, and focus on Camille Claudel. That should be his only concern. I'm tired of the fact that he's trying to get millions of his projects staged at the one time. Just focus on Camille Claudel, because that is said to be just as good - if not better - than Pimpernel: and it would definitely redeem him with the critics. Carrie could use a much more gothic re-working, no camp stuff, and Batman the Musical should be re-considered in a Brechtian, experimental form. Steinman and Wildhorn should definitely be working on Broadway now

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

#73re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/13/04 at 10:57pm

I thougth Footloose had a decent run, no?

Marie Christine, Wild Party (Lachiusa), Hello Again,R Shoman

Man of No Importance

E

MusicMan
#74re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/14/04 at 2:29am

Given another chance??? Virtually, all of these shows received productions in first-class venues with the creme de la creme of Broadway talent involved onstage and behind the scenes. If these shows didn't find an audience, it's very obvious why: they didn't deserve one. And when they were as ludicrously misconceived and poorly written as SIDESHOW or THE WILD PARTY (either version) or MARIE-CHRISTINE or DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES or STEEL PIER or CAROLINE, OR CHANGE or TABOO or THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL, it's no surprise, either.