pixeltracker

What shows should be given another chance?

What shows should be given another chance?

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#0What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/27/04 at 11:29pm

I think DOTV deserves another chance it really was a good show and I really didn't see anything wrong with it.
The Scarlet Pimpernel was really good and I think it would be good on Broadway or they should at least let it tour again,
I think that if Dance of The Vampires went on tour here in the U.S. that it would be great too.

Facebook...ME !!!

BwayTheatre11
#1re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/27/04 at 11:33pm

Footloose

CCM '10!

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#2re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/27/04 at 11:37pm

Taboo.

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#3re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/27/04 at 11:45pm

I agree with "Dance of the Vampires." Michael Crawford was the only questionable aspect of that show, but overall I thought it was spectacular. The music was insanely gorgeous and amazing, and the sets and special effects BLEW me away. The dancing was fantastic too, and Mandy Gonzalez and Max von Essen were incredible. I usually dislike shows that just make fun of things the whole time and mock themselves, but this show was fantastic. It should not have closed so early - it was a shame. I know people put the show down all the time, and even a few posts on this board has referred to some awful lyrics in the show, like in "Garlic," but those lyrics are undoubtedly HYSTERICAL. "Garlic, garlic, that's why we're so well hung...," etc. It was brilliantly hysterical - it's too bad it's gone. I would love to see a tour of it, but by this time, I think it's pretty much dead. Besides, to move that gigantic, multi-million dollar set in and out of different theatres, nevermind re-building the set pieces again would probably not result in much profit. After it's high profile failure, I don't think it would do so well. It's a shame - I really loved that show.

Other shows that NEED a second chance:

Taboo - ASAP
Carrie
Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks - Even though this obviously wasn't a very good play, I think with some re-writing and talented actors, it could be amazing - I actually really enjoyed it.
Follies - again.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Swiftynifty15
#4re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/27/04 at 11:45pm

Footloose, Seussical, Charlie Brown.

BwayTheatre11
#5re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/27/04 at 11:48pm

I am going to add Taboo.

CCM '10!

Broadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
#6re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/27/04 at 11:49pm

Carrie, Applause, Footloose, Taboo, and OOTI.

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#7re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/27/04 at 11:49pm

Taboo
Carrie re: What shows should be given another chance?
Never Gonna Dance

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#8re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/28/04 at 12:03am

70 Girls, 70
Mack & Mabel
Grind
House of Flowers

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

Dulcinea Profile Photo
Dulcinea
#9re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/28/04 at 12:04am

I can't believe no one said SIDE SHOW!!

www.GreatestStar.blogspot.com

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#10re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/28/04 at 12:04am

Lippa's The Wild Party.

bta212 Profile Photo
bta212
#11re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/28/04 at 12:08am

Side Show
Side Man
Merrily
Company
Call Me Madam (more a revival then "another chance")

"They have never understood, and no reason that they should. But if anybody could . . . " --SS

munkustrap178
#12re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/28/04 at 12:14am

I'm a bit confused. I took the question of this post as "what show failed and closed prematurely," and deserves another chance. People are saying things like Lippa's THE WILD PARTY, COMPANY, and YOU'RE A GOOD MAN CHARLIE BROWN. COMPANY is a legend and had two successful runs on broadway. Even though THE WILD PARTY was off-Broadway, it still recieved great reviews and stuck around for a bit (wasn't it a limited engagement anyway?) And with CHARLIE BROWN, am I wrong, or wasn't it pretty successful? I'm not being bitchy with this or saying you're wrong, I just want to know if I have my facts wrong. But since you mention THE WILD PARTY, I would have to all LaChusia's (sp) Broadway version of the show. It thought it was out of this world - so dark, sinister, and real. It effected me far more than the off-bway version, but I seem to be in the minority with that one.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Zach_the-boy
#13re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/28/04 at 12:14am

Bounce (With some repairs, of course)

Dulcinea Profile Photo
Dulcinea
#14re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/28/04 at 12:18am

Parade and Mack and Mabel

www.GreatestStar.blogspot.com

nobizlikeshobiz Profile Photo
nobizlikeshobiz
#15re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/28/04 at 12:19am

Amour

Ways to annoy people: Arrive at a meeting late, say you're sorry, but you didn't have time for lunch, and you're going to be nibbling during the meeting. Then eat raw potatoes. Ask people what gender they are,or Disagree strongly with everything anybody says:)

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#16re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/28/04 at 12:22am

It's a bird, It's a Plane, it's Superman, and Smile.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

lvpblues
#17re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/28/04 at 12:32am

The Grass Harp
A Time For Singing
Juno
The Golden Apple
Kean
Street Scene

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#18re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/28/04 at 12:38am

Let's keep in mind that if ANY of these were to be revived, there would probably need to be serious rewriting of the book & score to make them work.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

bta212 Profile Photo
bta212
#19re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/28/04 at 1:04am

munkustrap--With regard to Company, your facts are absolutely correct. I've always had it in my mind as one of those legendary under-appreciated 8-performance Sondheim crash-and-burns, but I just looked it up on IBDB, and it ran for almost 2 years. I stand corrected and withdraw it from the "another chance" category.

"They have never understood, and no reason that they should. But if anybody could . . . " --SS

munkustrap178
#20re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/28/04 at 1:12am

Oh, cool! I wasn't correcting you, becuase I didn't know for certain, but I know from reading various books and from talking to a good friend of mine who was in the OBC of Company that it was quite revolutionary and groudbreaking. Looking at the show now - the script, score, characters, it's not a show that particularly grabs me, no matter how many times I try. I have a great respect for it, but sadly I can't enjoy it. Speaking of Sondheim flops, I would love to see a re-creation of the original Hal Prince staging of FOLLIES. IT's amazing how a total flop can become one of the most legendary shows.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#21re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/28/04 at 1:15am

munkustrap178, I'm not familiar with the nature of the reviews for The Wild Party. I know it only ran for maybe 70 or 80 performances though, and to be honest, I'm not even sure if that was the intended length of it's engagement, or if it's closing was premature. But I still think it's run was far too short, and I would like to see it revived with a open run. I'm pretty sure it's run was not very successful.

As for the LaChuise Wild Party...I'm not familiar with it, so I have nothing to comment on.

lesserworm
#22re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/28/04 at 1:27am

The Fix.

It's a good show with many different types of music, (rock, gospel, vaudeville...) All of it very well done.

So now you've met the court of 364, and if you ever wish to come...don't.

Razz77 Profile Photo
Razz77
#23re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/28/04 at 1:38am

It's been said 250 times already -- but TABOO. Give it another chance, PLEASE....

Also -- I think with some reworking, Amour could certainly work out -- I think its a beautiful show...

And I don't know anything about the show, and heard it was treacherous, but after hearing Jenn Collela sing something from "Urban Cowboy" at the Jason Robert Brown concert the other night, I can only help but wish that that would get another chance..

And while this isn't necessarily "another chance", I hope there is "more life" for the new LaChiusa musical "The Highest Yellow", currently playing in Virginia. With some fine tuning, I really feel like this show could be LaChiusa's greatest work -- I think if it was put on Broadway it would turn into something like "Caroline or Change" -- great "art house" show but never really finding its audience (tear. so sad). The show definitely needs a bit of work, but from the sound of the cast and production team at the post-show talkback the other night -- it doesnt seem like there is any future life for the show on the horizon -- and thats just sad because the piece has tons of potential.

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#24re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 11/28/04 at 3:18am

munkustrap - you think Follies in its original incarnation was a flop?!?!? Okay, so it didn't recoup its investment, but it did manage to run 522 performances. To me, that is not a total flop. Follies is very worthy of its place as a Broadway Masterpiece
personally i think Anyone Can Whistle is absolutely ACHING for a Broadway revival. It has a wonderful score, an interesting premise, and a message that is just as powerful now as it was in the 60's. I would like to see Bernadette Peters as Fay Apple, as she was in the concert version.