pixeltracker

Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?

Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#0Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 8:16pm

London
Broadway
10th year Concert

I have listened to the London recording for years but I just got the Broadway one and I must say I prefer it. Colm Wilkinson sounds much more comfortable with Valjean(compare both recordings version of "What Have I Done" to see what I am talking about.)

What About You?

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#1re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 8:20pm

1. The 10th-Anniversary Concert, by far. Some people don't like the audience clapping, but I think it just adds to the energy of live theatre. The cast can't be beat, and it's much more complete than the London and Broadway recordings (and much better than the odd Symphonic Recording).

2. Second place is the Broadway Recording. I've never understood what people find in the London recording: the orchestrations on the OLC aren't the final arrangements, which give them a strange, incomplete quality. The Broadway recording is a lot "cleaner."

3. Original French Concept Album. Much better than I expected when I first picked it up. I adore Eponine's song -- it's sad it was cut from the English production (albeit its melody is still performed in snippets).

4. CSR

5. OLC

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
Updated On: 12/26/04 at 08:20 PM

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#2re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 8:30pm

I have only heard some songs from the concert but from what I've heard the cast did a Great job.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

BSoBW2
#3re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 8:37pm

Do I have to choose from only those?

In all - PRC.

From that list, TAC

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#4re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/26/04 at 12:47am

Has anyone heard the Korean recording? A friend made a tape of it for me, and it's fantastic. The Korean Marius is amazing; you could feel the purity and strength of his emotions. I wonder if this recording could still be found on CD. Anyone?

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#5re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/26/04 at 12:50am

umm... the three disc complete symphonic recording is my favorite. it's the most complete so it will always be number one to me.

Racetrack Profile Photo
Racetrack
#6re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/26/04 at 12:54am

Of that list the 10 anniversary. It's the first version I saw and I think it has the best cast.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey, Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say. The oldest hath borne most; we that are young Shall never see so much, nor live so long"-Edgar in King Lear

LaeloftheLakes Profile Photo
LaeloftheLakes
#7re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/26/04 at 1:15am

I love the CSR, but Gary Morris as Valjean annoys the pants off of me. For the sake of the casts, I'm going to say:

1: TAC I loved every casting choice to some extent. Some of them weren't my favorites, but I really liked all of them nonetheless.

2: OBC The recording itself is wonderful, and clean, but David Bryant as Marius makes me want to slap him. That's really my only problem with it.

3: OLC A good recording, but I thought Rebecca Caine was a little shrill, and David Burt doesn't have nearly as much power as I would like.

4&5: Tie. These are hard, because I really love them both, but OFCR and CSR because of Gary Morris--I can't get over it--and because the differences in the OFCR really distract me. However, I have to say that Kaho Shimada was fabulous as Eponine, and that what's-her-name, who plays Cosette in the OFCR, is the only actress who's made me like Cosette. I love the actresses who played her, like Tracy and Judy, but I can't get over my dislike of the character except on this recording. And "La Coeur Aux Bonheur" (forgive my spelling if it's wrong, please! And it almost certainly is, because I don't speak French!) is incredibly beautiful. I love the idea of Cosette as an alto. So, mixed feelings.

"I am special, I am special! Please, God, please, don't let me be normal!" ---Louisa, The Fantasticks
---
---
Intolerant of intolerance.

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#8re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/26/04 at 2:23am

ugh, Anything LES MIS is good - but yeah the Two French oens are the best - hey WE DO EVERYTHING GOOD!

"I've often said I should put sweets in my chair - they'd spend less time on my a** that way....." ~F.W.B.

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#9re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/26/04 at 2:24am

Concert!!!

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#10re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/26/04 at 2:25am

Don't argue with me MNIL!

"I've often said I should put sweets in my chair - they'd spend less time on my a** that way....." ~F.W.B.

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#11re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/26/04 at 2:31am

out of the English language recordings, I'll go with the 10th Anniversary concert because it has the Ball and the Quast but none of that silly Gary Morris business. overall my favorite recordings are the Japanese Red cast and the Israeli with Dudu Fisher.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#12re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/26/04 at 2:35am

The best recording for me is the Broadway because I am on it.

LaeloftheLakes
#13re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/26/04 at 2:37am

As who?

"I am special, I am special! Please, God, please, don't let me be normal!" ---Louisa, The Fantasticks
---
---

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#14re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/26/04 at 2:38am

poor bronx

bronxboundexpress
#15re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/26/04 at 2:39am

Yeah, poor me, as if you even knew. I like to stay anonymous on the internet. This is my second personality.

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#16re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/26/04 at 2:41am

I see

CJR
#17re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/26/04 at 2:41am

Riiiiight

Im not a huge LM fan, but Im kinda partial to the CSR.... just because Im kinda partial to one of the actresses on it

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

Broadway Matt
#18re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/26/04 at 2:45am

oh my god, Bronx is Steve Shockett!

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

LaeloftheLakes
#19re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/26/04 at 2:45am

Sorry, bronx, didn't mean to pry. I just get excited. I'm (obviously) a huge fan of Les Mis.

CJR, are you waiting for someone to ask, or would you rather keep your secret?

---
---

Broadway Matt
#20re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/26/04 at 2:49am

hey bronx, if you are, I was totally bluffing. I just picked the 1st name I could think of from the original broadway cast. hey, you wouldn't happen to be Norman Large would u?

bronxboundexpress
#21re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?

You mean, Steve Shocket? Do you think I'm that old? lol Havn't heard that name in a while.

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#22re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?

ugh, who cares - there isn't anyone on the recording worth spit

(well, except colm, i guess)

Broadway Matt
#23re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/26/04 at 2:52am

hey Steve is by far my favorite constable of all time! wouldn't you agree, Mr. Marcum?!!! eh? eh?

bronxboundexpress
#24re: Which is your favorite LES MIZ cast recording?
Posted: 12/26/04 at 2:52am

Ok, for that I am not bringing back the Dracula avatar. lol