RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?

nodaybuttoday4
#0RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 7:14pm

I was super-physced when I first heard about the RENT movie. But, now, they keep on changing more and more parts of the movie (such as changing it to 1985, taking out Contact and the Christmas Bells as well as some voicemails, adding gay marriage). Do you think its going to be a yeah or neah?

--Also, could someone please give me the link to the RENT script? Thanks.

idinaroxmysox1
nodaybuttoday4
#2re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 7:20pm

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant the one for the movie. re: RENT  Movie -- Yeah or Neah?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#3re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 7:22pm

Neah - Show never did anything for me

Poster Emeritus

showfan2
#4re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 7:29pm

Who can say at this point how good the movie will be.

I for one am really excited about it.... Although I am a rent fan... I love it in spite of all it's flaws. I saw it off-broadway in previews....and was so moved....but so wished Larson had lived to really work on some of the structural flaws.... and saw it again on Broadway

And I am not a fan of the prodution....one of the ugliest sets I have seen on a stage....and then to pick up the ugly set and move it almost unchanged to Broadway.... ugh

And there are still things in Grief's staging that I don't understand....

So looking forward to the reshaping...and hopefully fixing...

nodaybuttoday4
#5re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 7:38pm

Hmmm...hadn't looked at it that way. I actually really like the RENT set. I know some older people that didn't like it too much, one person commented on it being a "fire trap," but I like how it doesn't pull too much away from the action on stage. At least, it didn't for me.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#6re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:11pm

I'll give my opinion after the movie has been made and I've had a chance to see it.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Updated On: 12/27/04 at 08:11 PM

EvelynNesbit1906 Profile Photo
EvelynNesbit1906
#7re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:13pm

Does it amaze anyone else that few people here discuss the subject anymore?

I guess a dry spell was bound to come.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#8re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:14pm

ditto, pab

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#9re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:21pm

Evelyn, I think people here, myself included, like to play the "casting" game. Now that that part of the process is complete and now rehearsals are taking place I am not sure what there is to comment on. Anyway, maybe its a good thing, there isnt so much talk about it. We don't want everyone being sick of it by the time the movie is released.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

nodaybuttoday4
#10re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:22pm

True indeed. I see the point.

We can just hope to see the all-star cast until then, and then review it.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#11re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:23pm

I'm not going to see the RENT movie. It's confusing even to me. But, what I've been able to put into words is that for me, the reason I camp out, the reason I go to see it on stage again and again is to see it live. To be able to sit in the front row and see the facial expressions, the spit and the sweat. To be able to see the cast rocking out five feet away from me... a movie can't do that. It's the difference between having seen the real beetles live and attending a beetle mania concert. It's not the same. It can't be.

Plus, with songs being cut and all... I just can't. I like RENT just the way it is. I mean, I know that it can't be transferred to a different medium and still work, Mel Brooks said it best when he said it's like taking apart a working pocket watch, putting in new pieces, taking out old ones and putting it back together hoping it still works. But I'm not that kind of risk taker. I don't want to see the results of that kind of butchering, at least not with RENT. Why change mediums? Why not leave it alone? The Phantom movie... who cares. It's phantom do whatever you want, I could care less, but not RENT. That, I can't handle. I'll just feel better not going and if that turns out to be a mistake, I wont regret it. I'm doing what I think is right. It makes me feel better.

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#12re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:26pm

CATS: You do whats right for you! Stay strong. :). And if later on you feel like you want to see it there will always be DVDs.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

Mimi Imfurst
#13re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 9:35pm

The RENT set is the way it is because the show is directed/written in a brectian style. Its perfect for what it should be.

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

Sock
#14re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 9:43pm

I'm happy about the cast, and I'm definetly going to see the movie (more than once). However, I think I'll always prefer the stage version. I wish they hadn't cut Contact and Christmas Bells - I *love* those songs.

Mimi Imfurst
#15re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 9:44pm

this has been hashed over and over again, but yet i still stand to say that i dont care to see a replica of the stage show on film. i want something different. lets spice it up.

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

Ordinary Boi
#16re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 9:47pm

The OBC is a great thing, but Contact! They cut Contact! Contact's one of my favorite songs.

Can't wait to see it, though.

zaneyb3000
#17re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 9:52pm

I guess I'm rather open to seeing the film version. I think the production is in good hands, but there were always be people who dislike an adaptation, ala the LOTR movies.

Is it for sure going to be set in 1985 or am I just rehashing an old thread?

pab Profile Photo
pab
#18re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 9:52pm

They always tend to have changes when they make movies from musicals. They wrote "You Must Love Me" to add to "Evita", They cut "Class" from "Chicago" etc. etc. etc., so just expect that it will also happen in "RENT".

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

nodaybuttoday4
#19re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 9:53pm

I guess they wanted it to stick to a certain rating. I doubt they can fit it in PG, but I bet they wanted it to be more PG-13 than R. Thus, Contact had to leave. re: RENT  Movie -- Yeah or Neah? But Christmas Bells, a classic? Why?

pab Profile Photo
pab
#20re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 10:02pm

I don't think is has anything to do with the rating:

"The Rent movie will be rated R, “unless the Academy changes,” said Columbus."
Article

nodaybuttoday4
#21re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 10:05pm

I have two words to say:

Thank god.

Bdwyguy30 Profile Photo
Bdwyguy30
#22re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 10:06pm

Jsut to let you know,. You should still be excited about it. Scripts that are written for films are never shot entirely because so much rewriting and reworking is done before films go into actual production. That is what is called a shootin script and the shooting script is def. not available, so anything else you will read ont he net is not accurate or up to date. As far as Gay marriage int he movie it isn't Maureen and Joanne just get engaged and break it off at their engagement party hence where Take me or leave me comes in. Also it is not set in 1985. And Contact is back in the film. Just wait for it to come out. And you must remember it is a movie. Just like Chicago was a movie and a play. There has to be some differences. Neither Chris Columbus or the cast will mess Rent up. It will amazing. Trust.

Staci1818 Profile Photo
Staci1818
#23re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 10:07pm

Chris Columbus promised it would be "R" unless the academy went through major changes. I want to like the movie, so much. The script can work, and I can put complete trust in the OBC to be good, and to push for a better scipt if it turned out horrible. Anthony has said nothing but positive things about the movie to date.

Contact wouldn't translate well on film, not like it looks good on stage. Christmas Bells is to complicated for film. Everything is happening at once, and it would get confusing. They could do it, and I'd love to see them try. Remember, Class was included in the deleted sceens on the Chicago dvd. I'm going into the movie positive untill I have reason to belive otherwise. I'm not amking many jugements untill I see an ad, or hear a clip from the soundtrack.

Sock
#24re: RENT Movie -- Yeah or Neah?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 10:10pm

Okay, I just realized this post was uninformed because I didn't see the posts before mine :) Updated On: 12/27/04 at 10:10 PM

Videos