Britney Spears' quote

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#75re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/1/05 at 11:50pm

She obviously doesn't know much about theatre, and we didn't see the entire quote - we saw a fragment of a sentence. There's no point in debating whether or not Britney Spears deserves to be on Broadway, but I will say this: She has worked very hard to get where she is - she can do whatever the hell she wants, whether she "deserves" it or not. I feel confident in saying that no one on this message board can decide whether or not she "deserves" anything - it's not our place.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

insomniak
#76re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/1/05 at 11:54pm

Again, I don't necessarily think she got to the top of pop without working, I just doubt her ability to sing some of the more difficult showtunes and keep her voice. Who knows, maybe she's more vocally talented than we've seen with her music, but so far I haven't seen any evidence that she can do broadway.

At any rate, thanks everyone for so far keeping this conversation pretty civilized. Flame wars are unecessary.

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#77re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/1/05 at 11:59pm

Talented or no, deserving or undeserving I know that I personally would not be able to take her seriously in anything she might do.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

munkustrap178
#78re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/1/05 at 11:59pm

I totally agree with you - there's no way her voice could handle a traditional broadway score 8 times a week. If something new and different came along, then who knows...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#79re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 12:03am

As long as there is no lipsyncing.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

insomniak
#80re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 12:04am

I think that if Britney did do broadway it would likely be in a role written for her for because of that- can't handle most broadway and she is a music icon who could get people to do that for her. Therin lies the issue of her acting skills, or lack therof. It couldn't be a very complex role.

I personally hope she doesn't come to broadway because popstars in theatre can easily cheapen the medium's worth. It can make it look like musical theatre is something that a singer can do when they're bored as opposed to something people work their entire lives to get into. If she was in a show, I'd do my best to keep an open mind, but I'm not fond of the idea. Updated On: 1/2/05 at 12:04 AM

munkustrap178
#81re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 12:07am

I can't see it happening at all.

insomniak
#82re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 12:10am

I can see it and I don't much like it. I was just saying that if she did, it would probably be Britney the Musical or something to that effect. And I would try to be civil about it. That trying would involve duct taping my fingers and mouth so I couldn't comment by posting or speaking, but I would try.

personB
#83re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 12:12am

Ooo. What if she lip synched, and one night it all screwed up, and she ended up like Ashlee Simpson? Then her career would be ruined, and we wouldn't have to see her in a musical ever again!

OneLastRefrain2
#84re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 12:29am

did you know that one of the main turning points britney had when she decided to "take time off of her career" and go in a slightly different direction was after seeing Wicked? thought that was kinda funny..

Joshua488
#85re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 12:30am

wicked1: Yes, you are partially correct. Britney was the understudy for Laura Bell Bundy (HAIRSPRAY) in the original off-Broadway cast of RUTHLESS. (Natalie Portman, of the newer "Star Wars" trilogy, was also an understudy.)

Britney actually had a phenomenal voice when she was younger. However, I think that after years and years of singing incorrectly and Broadway-style belting, her voice probably sustained some damage and lost some of its power. She doesn't really have that powerful, in-your-face voice like she used to, but she CAN sound good, especially in her higher register. I've heard her sing live (yes, LIVE; not lip-synching) and she was actually a pretty decent singer. Despite this, I definitely do not think she is vocally capable of doing a Broadway show, no matter how many times a week it requires. Just not the right kind of voice. Updated On: 1/2/05 at 12:30 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#86re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 12:34am

Doe's anyone else think Britney was a great singer when she was younger?.. I mean a child.

Watching her Driven & Behind the Music. My dad and I were pretty shocked at some clips when she was like 8, the little girl could sing. Than she gets her record deal, and since than she sounds like crap, she lipsyncs, and we never get to hear if she has any "singing ability" anymore. It's just weird, because when she was younger she definetly had a voice.

munkustrap178
#87re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 12:38am

Besides just growing up, years of cocaine use and cigarettes don't help your voice at all...re: Britney Spears' quote

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#88re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 12:40am

I concur, ljay. I saw clips of her from Star Search and I was astounded (and saddened) at the difference.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#89re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 12:40am

"However, I think that after years and years of singing incorrectly and Broadway-style belting, her voice probably sustained some damage and lost some of its power. "

Well, Broadway belting - done correctly - would not be vocally damaging. It's when actresses on Broadway try to sing like pop stars that they hurt their voice.

Edit: That too Munk. :)

Updated On: 1/2/05 at 12:40 AM

Expressboy69
#90re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 12:42am

Insomniak- WOAH! Britney will never be good enough to replace Madonna's place as Queen of Pop lol.

I don't know about you guys, but I would definately pay $100 to see her make a fool of herself on stage like that.

Sorry Brit re: Britney Spears' quote

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#91re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 12:43am

I don't have enough money to watch someone bomb.

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#92re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 1:11am

"I don't have enough money to watch someone bomb. "

nor do I...

she is a guilty pleasure, and like Tiff I like Toxic...but I can't imagine her on Broadway.

it just doesn't seem right

Joshua488
#93re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 1:22am

TGIF: You're exactly right. Broadway belting, done correctly, doesn't hurt your voice. That is why I put "Broadway-STYLE belting" because she SOUNDED like she was belting well, when in actuality, she was belting without correct technique and, in turn, damaging her voice.

paradox_error
#94re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 1:23am

I never imagined her voice was as good as is being described...

I don't HATE her voice, but I can't imagine it being overly powerful...

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#95re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 7:02am

What a shame the girl isn't a comedienne because she could probably pull off Lorelei Lee In "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes"...all those lines about "sailing to Europe, France", and of course the Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend number. Surely she couldn't be worse than Nicole! A golddigger for the new millenium!

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#96re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 9:12am

ha ha. joke of the day.

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier

Swiftynifty15
#97re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 9:15am

If she goes on Broadway does that mean a unch of the other Hollywod people like Paris Hilton or Jessica Simpson? That is weird.

paradox_error
#98re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 10:29am

HOORAY FOR WILDCAT!

See, we australians can be funny...

re: Britney Spears' quote

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#99re: Britney Spears' quote
Posted: 1/2/05 at 10:45am

I love how Britney makes everyone here start foaming at the mouth re: Britney Spears' quote it's great! But has anyone thought that Brit was mis-quoted?? I didn't actually hear the words come out of her mouth, so I don't know. Press people make up stuff all the time, you know? I'm just trying to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Also, did you guys know when Britney was a kid, she actually WAS on Broadway?? or off-Broadway, I can't remember. The fact is, she probably DOES like theatre very much, and maybe she just wants to try something new. Not that I think this is a good idea, because I'm not even a Britney fan, i'm just trying to give another point of view. I don't like her music at all, but I ADORE her new perfure Curious! it is seriously SOO yummy re: Britney Spears' quote

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

Videos