pixeltracker

Video Tribute to Idina Menzel- Page 3

Video Tribute to Idina Menzel

NYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
#50re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/16/05 at 9:20pm

Thank you Marquise for saying exactly what I meant, but more eloquently. :)

NightLaughs Profile Photo
NightLaughs
#51re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/16/05 at 9:23pm

Was that used with Windows Movie maker?

If you limit your choices to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise."- Robert Fritz

musicgal04 Profile Photo
musicgal04
#52re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/16/05 at 9:26pm

This just creeps me out. You really get the idea that she is dead. When the fall first happened I was slightly worried but when I found out it was just a craked rib, I didn't freak out, I mean my 70 year old grandfather fell off his bike and broke three ribs and he is still kicking it on that bike, so I had no worries for Idina. This is just over the top and weird. I would be freaked out if I ever had fans show their love for me by making it look like I had died, no matter what the good intentions were.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#53re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/16/05 at 9:42pm

but that's only your perception of it i saw the video and i didn't get the feeling from that at all.

i'm willing to bet some of you are actually jealous you didn't come up with it first or even had 1/10th of savvy to even put something like this together.

some of u have way to much time on your hands bashing other people's efforts. it seems paying a compliment is too hard to come by from any of you. all u guys know how to do is sit by your pcs and tear everything and anything that is not to you liking.

and that's what i really find TRULY SAD, not that someone actually took the time and effort to produce a trubute video for someone they admire.

i've had it with this board. i need a break from all of this negativity.

CatieElphie1 Profile Photo
CatieElphie1
#54re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/16/05 at 9:46pm

Oh. My. God. That was scary. Seriously, if I were Idina and I saw this, I would be quite disturbed.
That was the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life..I expected a phone number at the end so you could donate money to the thousands of innocent people whose lives have been destroyed by the loss of Idina....

Was that a fat joke?

Raggy Q poo
#55re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/16/05 at 10:54pm

"Seriously, if I were Idina and I saw this, I would be quite disturbed."

I totally agree with that!

Now for those people who are frekin out cause we think it's over the line. Although it is nice to idolize and look up to someone, do you honestly think this video think is nessasary- or even appropriate?
Think about Idina- if you were her...wouldn't you be a little weirded out? Yes, its nice to have fans but when they have candlelight vigals for you and make these kinds of videos; what would you think?
Of course I have to put in something from Avenue Q- "There's a fine fine line between a lover and a frind, there's a fine fine line between a stalker and a fan and you never know till you reach the top how much worser it could have been. There's a fine fine line between love and a waste of your time." *making weird things like videos....etc..*
Anyway- for those who think it's perfectlly normal and ok to do that...I wonder were your thoughts came from. Should we be calling America's Most Wanted?

So, the women broke a rib....even if she did die- I wouldn't expect this much drama over it. Yes, it's sad, yes, it's even sadder that it happened before the day of her last performance. I'm not senying those things. But, seriously- look around the world. Just because other people aren't your "idol", look at the tough life they have lived...the whole tsunami thing and people all over the world being poor, who have no food...and all that other stuff. And by the way- I LOVE Broadway like no other but seriosuly- look how much the actresses and actors make. Then look at their profession. They entertain people...they give people something to do and have a fun time. Now, look at Drs and surgeons....they worked their ass off to get to where they have gotten to. They save people's lived. And look at the money they get paid- nothing like famous people get paid, even sports people. The sports players and entertainment people are making millions- can't we put some of that into cancer reseach where something actually can be done to help people survive? Put some of that into the Drs. salary, the people who are saving you and your family.

*Wow! That was alot but I felt that was a nessasary post* and sorry, it got a bit off topic.

People like you are the reason I'm on medication.

CatieElphie1
#56re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/16/05 at 11:03pm

Rebecca....indeed. Everything you just said...ditto.

Was that a fat joke?

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#57re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/16/05 at 11:15pm

Seriously, If I had just sat down and watched that tribune without knowing about her accident or anything I would have figured she had died! Soon there will be people gathering outside her apartement in New York with candles and they will start praying and holding ceremonials on her behalf. I wouldn't be all that surpised if people started sending Taye Diggs letters and wreaths of condolence for his loss. It's not like I don't care taht she got hurt and I wish her the best like everyone else but the whole teenage population seems to have rallied together to form a huge pack of Idina-mourners. I agree with Raggy Q poo, If that were me and I found out taht people were lighting candles on my behalf I would freak out. To one and all....IDINA IS NOT DEAD. She is in her apartement with a cracked rib and set to fly to SF to rehearse RENT in a couple weeks with Taye. I was at school and these two girls were both sitting against a wall literally bawling and when I looked closer they were both clutching pictures of Idina Menzel. When I asked they just babbled incoherently about her "horrific incident" for ages. No joke. I was apalled beyond belief. I felt like smacking them both and saying "are you nuts?? She's fine! Why the hell are you practically choking to death from crying when she is perfectly fine??" I mean honestly, it scares the **** out of me how much people are overreacting to her accident.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

The Wicked Witch of the East S
#58re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/17/05 at 10:42am

I thought her performance was astounding in Wicked. She deserved this tribute more than any of you who didn't see the show can imagine. She broke her rib but kept going. You can obviously tell she is not dead seeing as how they end it with "Good luck Idina. You have a success ful future ahead of you." Give this person a break. They just wanted to show Idina how much they care about her and her shows. She really made the show what it is and this fan just wanted to show that in a presentation. I can say that Idina has changed my life. I just resently got my wisdom teeth removed and yet I went to work the next day of which my job is mainly talking on the phone and I took my midterms the day after that. I knew that if Idina could show up with a broken rib, I could show up with a mouth in pain. So give this person a break... I know where they are comming from. She has changed so many lives inculding my own.

broadwayguy2
#59re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/17/05 at 10:56am

It is truely disturbing... both that video AND the 'fans' who justify it. hahahahahaha. some people need to be serioulsy medictaed.

"if idina can go to work hurt, so I can i!"

umm... how did she keep going?!? They stopped the show and she never went as elphaba again... please explain...

Jacques_Clouseau Profile Photo
Jacques_Clouseau
#60re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/17/05 at 12:37pm

Her smile enchanted me into her soul.

And I would just like to add my nomination for this to be the video that they show at Universal Studios as we wait to get on "Idina: The Ride". Watch it again, picture yourself standing in a dark room with a bunch of strangers. Then, just as it ends imagine the doors to your right hiss open, as some teen says, in a flat voice... "Welcome to Idina: The Ride, please keep moving to the right until all seats have been filled in... and enjoy the rest of your day at Universal Studios"

"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do."
:: Clouseau Blog ::
Updated On: 1/17/05 at 12:37 PM

Dreamcatcher
#61re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/17/05 at 12:46pm

Poor Poor Idina, we miss her so....

Hahaha I agree, some people need to be seriously medicated.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

Mel24601 Profile Photo
Mel24601
#62re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/17/05 at 12:49pm

Actually, that kind of video is not hard to make at all. My career field is making videos (music videos, documentaries etc) and that was really pretty basic stuff she had put in there. It was just a slideshow of pictures put to music with some fancy transitions between them.
Although it seemed a bit like honoring the death of someone, it was still a nice simple project that someone did to show her respect for Idina. So good for her.

You may know what you need but to get what you want better see that you keep what you have.

Jacques_Clouseau Profile Photo
Jacques_Clouseau
#63re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/17/05 at 12:51pm

I especially liked some of the classy wipes. Especially the keyhole.

"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do."
:: Clouseau Blog ::

Dreamcatcher
#64re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/17/05 at 1:12pm

Though the video itself scares me, I will say that its well put together.

The Wicked Witch of the East S
#65re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/17/05 at 2:30pm

"Kept going" meaning that she still showed up to her last show even though she had a broken rib. She sang some and spoke to her fans. Now she is going to SF to film RENT. If that's not "still going," I don't know what is. Also, I respect your opinion but I really don't appreciate the fact that you are saying that her true fans should be "seriously medicated."

CatieElphie1
#66re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/17/05 at 2:34pm

I think it was well put together...just a wee bit over the top, perhaps.

Was that a fat joke?

Tahnee
#67re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/17/05 at 2:44pm

I would like to mention that I agree with Marquise and The Wicked Witch of The East Shore in the respect that it seems to me like none of you are good enough to post a compliment. I guess you are all to low for that. Instead you are bashing other people and their ideas. Why is this? Is it all to difficult to state an opinion in a nice, hurtless manor? I know where these two are comming from. Breaking a rib is very painful. I have also had my wisdom teeth removed and I know that that is also painful. I can understand where The Wicked Witch of the East Shore is comming from. I think you should lay off. This "seriously medicated" stuff is really rude and I think you should be the ones seriously medicated seeing as how you can't even say anything nice about people. I am sick of this negitivity... good day!

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#68re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/17/05 at 3:18pm

No, I thought it was very sweet, actually. I just think it seems as though she's gone forever or something. She didn't die, she'll be back. Updated On: 1/17/05 at 03:18 PM

Dreamcatcher
#69re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/17/05 at 3:19pm

While it was a very well made video, i thought it was a little inappropriate for the circumstances.

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#70re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/17/05 at 4:04pm

If I were Idina, I'd move far far away with no computers so I would never live in fear again. That was a bit too much. While it was meant to be a tribute, she did not die. She is going to do bigger and better things. I don't get fans who make tributes as well who live across the country.. it's not like they see her in the show anyway. You still have your cds.

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#71re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/17/05 at 6:50pm

I just watched it. I thought it was very nice. I didn't have any sound, so I might have missed something, but it seems to me like it is just a lot of pictures in a slideshow. Why should this freak anyone out? I did not at all get the impression that she died.

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

CatieElphie1
#72re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/17/05 at 6:52pm

three things:
One: I had my wisdom teeth out, too, and it sucks, so don't think me insensitive.
Two: I think that the only people who "aren't good enough" to post or leave a compliment/opinion are the people who rudely group everyone into one category and do not bother to say what they think in a nice way either...the beauty of message boards is that they allow us to express our own opinons in our own way...so deal with it like a mature person.
Three: "How many straight actors does it take to screw in a lightbulb?....Two"----
I just got that

Was that a fat joke?

BroadwayLVR81
#73re: Video Tribute to Idina Menzel
Posted: 1/21/05 at 7:17pm

Ok...seeing as there has been a back and forth banter I figured I'd finally step in to settle it seeing as I'm the video creator and would like to counteract a few statements that were made. There is one HUGE clarification I must make...and honestly, it seems kind of silly that I'd be making this clarification to a bunch of theatre fans…

1.) I'm sure many of you would not argue the fact that live theatre has an incredible impact on you and that certain CHARACTERS can completely capture and move you, and sometimes we even identify with them. There is something within the CHARACTER'S struggles and life that parallels our own. (Notice how I've been emphasizing the word "character"). If I was reading Elphaba's story, it would be totally different that actually EXPERIENCING her story through live theatre. I experienced Elphaba's story first-hand at a live performance with Idina as Elphaba. I happened to also see Elphaba played by a different actress after that, but for me personally, the parallel I originally had with the character was not as strong and I didn't see the depth I had originally picked up on when Idina played her.

SO, it led me to believe that Idina, as an actress, added something unique to the character that resonated within me. But, I must emphasize, it was ELPHABA who I identified with, it was ELPHABA'S SOUL I was allowed to enter/see and it was ELPHABA'S STORY that paralleled my own.

Idina was only the medium to show me all of those things, and on stage, she did that with nonverbal communication (symbolized by a smile) as well as verbal communication (her voice). I thought theatre people would pick up on that symbolism that I included in the video....I guess I was wrong... I'm not entering Idina's soul, people. I'm entering ELPHABA'S SOUL – the entire AUDIENCE is! It's the nonverbal and verbal communication of an actor that gives the character life and the audience the chance to get a glimpse into that life and persona.

So...the tribute was my way of saying thank you to Idina (not personally or verbally, but artistically) for bringing Elphaba to life for me. Elphaba is fictional; Idina was her portal. Sorry if you thought it was something dark, stalkerish and deeper, but that's all it boils down to. The video was honoring Idina's journey into Elphaba's world. And as a result of taking that journey, Idina led US into Elphaba's world as well.

Elphaba continues to inspire me to this day, specifically BECAUSE I identify with her, and I'm convinced Idina had a lot to do with that. Seeing a different actress the second time I saw the show proved that Idina really did have a lot to do with how I perceived the character. Every actor/actress might interpret things differently, but it was Idina's interpretation and delivery of that interpretation that resonated within me. And it's the PERFORMANCE that will be remembered always. She added a lot to the character. Of course, Idina can't play Elphaba forever and must pass down the torch. However, her performances never end for they're forever implanted in each audience member's memory -- that was the point of the video. NOT some stalkerish sick scenario like some of you have suggested. Sorry to disappoint you... It's all about the character and how that character is communicated to the audience... And if it's communicated successfully, then you really give a legendary performance!

2.) As we all know, when we're dealing with something stressful in our lives or want to procrastinate on our responsibilities, sometimes our energy is diverted into other areas. Like now, I had a stressful week and want to divert my energy writing this. Is it worth my time...who knows...but that's where my energy is drawn right now and it's getting my mind off of the stress. Same thing happened with the video because that's how it originated. It was just a procrastination project that honestly didn't take much time -- but for the time I spent on it, I did not have to deal with whatever was on my mind - it was a creative outlet -- that's all!

Considering that Wicked continues to inspire me because of the character's struggles and journey, considering that Idina added enough depth that I could parallel my own life with Elphaba's, considering that I was dealing with my own struggles, insecurities at the time and needed something to get my mind off of things, and considering it was right after Idina's last performance, it just kind of fit that it would be the subject of procrastination to get my mind off of things. Sorry if you all think it was something else, but that's honestly what it was. I'm sorry many of you took it the wrong way and think it's sickening. Maybe I should have clarified a few things or worried about people taking it the wrong way...

It was NOT intended for Idina to see in the first place; however if she WERE ever to READ THE LEAD IN PROSE and watch the video, I seriously doubt that she would be freaked out. In her dressing room she kept collages made by fans with pictures of her as Elphaba...she doesn't seem like the type to be freaked out when fans create things...

And seriously, as a performing artist, isn't one of your goals to affect and reach an audience member so you make the CHARACTER REAL for them? Are actors freaked out during award shows, like the Oscars, when they show a video montage of their accomplishments and winning performances? Highly doubtful. It's yet another way of honoring them for an outstanding performance.

But alas, how could I expect this board to understand any of the reasons I've explored, including the power of theatre, actors and incredibly inspiring and meaningful fictional characters? I mean, after all, this is a Broadway message board for heaven's sakes. What was I thinking?!?
Updated On: 1/22/05 at 07:17 PM