tonys

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#25re: re: re: re: re: re: re: tonys
Posted: 11/17/03 at 1:36am

Here're a few possibilities for nominations in the musical acting categories:

Best Actor in a Musical - Hunter Foster, Hugh Jackman, Euan Morton, Noah Racey, John Tartaglia
Best Acress in a Musical - Kristin Chenoweth, Stephanie D'Abruzzo, Nancy Lemenager, Idina Menzel, Donna Murphy
Best Supporting Actor in a Musical - Rob Bartlett, Norbert Leo Butz, Raul Esparza, Mitchel Federan
Best Supporting Actress in a Musical - Isabel Keating, Liz McCartney, Carole Shelley, Karen Ziemba

This is all just based, of course, on shows that are already opened or about to open. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Bombay Dreams and Fiddler open in the spring. Looks like all of the musical acting categories should be pretty full this year.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#26re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: tonys
Posted: 11/17/03 at 1:41am

good list theatreguy--do you think Douglas Sills will be nominated? I love that you included the leads from Ave Q--I hope they are nominated. I would also bet that Ann Harada is nominated in the Featured Actress category for Ave Q.

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#27re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: tonys
Posted: 11/17/03 at 2:41am

Yeah, I wasn't sure about Douglas Sills. I figured for the 5th slot in both supporting categories it'd be between people in Avenue Q and Never Gonna Dance. Couldn't pick which ones though so I just left them open.

Kavana Profile Photo
Kavana
#28re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: tonys
Posted: 11/17/03 at 4:12am

yea it still is early to do this and dont forget Dreamgirls is coming

but does anyone like Stephanie Block that girl kills it in The Boy From Oz
would she be supporting role???

Crazy4MattMorrison52 Profile Photo
Crazy4MattMorrison52
#29re: re: re: re: re: re: tonys
Posted: 11/17/03 at 5:34pm

ok, not thats a little crazy that you dont think Marissa Jaret Winokur should have one. I've seen both Hairspray and GYSPSY. The two roles can not compare. It's simple Marissa won and its fair, she should have won. It would have been messed up if she didnt. Her Tracy does not compare to Bernadettes Mamma Rose or Kathy Briers TRACY. Marissa is just awesome, and i bet she will have more TONYS to come.

"gimme a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and i'll conquer the world!"

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#30re: re: re: re: re: re: re: tonys
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:04pm

Totally agree. I was attacked by the Bernadette fans for saying that. Dont get me wrong. I love Bernadette- she can be drunk on stage and still be the most excellent creature ever. I give her lots of credit for the amount of leads she has taken on successfully- shes awesome, but there just happened to be a new kid in town that showed complete star quality in her role that year. Now if Marissa was per say up against Bernadette for playing the Witch in "Into the Woods" this would all be a different story, but since it was her portrayl of Mama Rose- odds turned out in Marissa's direction.

"They hear drums. We hear music."

TEACHEROFTHEATER Profile Photo
TEACHEROFTHEATER
#31re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: tonys
Posted: 11/17/03 at 7:33pm

Elphie, not sure what you mean about Bernadette Peters as the witch in Into the Woods. Many people didn't care for her performance and she was not nominated for a Tony awards for her performance.

I adore Bernadette Peters but thought her performance in Into the Woods was poorly conceived and embarassing and at times a little uncomfortable to watch. Again I adore Bernadette Peters and was thrilled to see her again and she was vocally amazing in the part.

But not too many folks consider her performance in "Woods" as any particular kind of theatrical landmark.

"MAY YOUR LIFE BE AS BRIGHT AS BROADWAY AT NIGHT"

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#32re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: tonys
Posted: 11/17/03 at 8:19pm

I think you both are failing to realize to emotional energy and vocal performance required for Mama Rose, you are 100% correct that it cannot be compared to Tracy Turnblad, but I mean that in Bernadette's favor. As charismatic and energetic as Marissa is, she did not deserve the Tony here, if only for the material. What i mean by that is that her performance in that role in particular may have been exceptional, but there was someone else in a far more demanding role that was absolutely stellar.

P.S. If you do not want to hear about this subject, don't read. Some of us were not on the boards to discuss this topic and wish to. :)

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#33re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: tonys
Posted: 11/17/03 at 11:10pm

Then start your own thread and quit hijacking this one PLEASE. =)

dededarlin
#34re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: tonys
Posted: 11/17/03 at 11:28pm

oh gosh, the old bernadette/marissa arguement again. i am a serious bernadette fan, so ofcourse i wished she would have won, and i saw Gypsy, and thought she was astounding as Mama Rose...so i felt she indeed deserved the tony. But then again, i never saw Hairspray, so i can't compare. One thing though... I am sure both of them will have more chances to win another Tony, so maybe we can just take it as we wish and forget about it! :)

bestofbroadway
#35re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: tonys
Posted: 11/17/03 at 11:42pm

dededarlin- you didn't miss a thing by not seeing Hairspray. And you definetely saved yourself a night of sheer torture by missing Marissa. Maybe if you see it now it would be different since Marissa is gone.

Anyway- not to bring up the robbery of the century again...but that's what it was.

MisterRussell Profile Photo
MisterRussell
#36re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: tonys
Posted: 11/18/03 at 2:01pm

I suppose that the Marissa/Bernadette argument would be moot if Bernadette had made it enough performances to have been seen by the Tony voters. Plain and simple, Bernie gave it away.

thirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
#37re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: tonys
Posted: 11/18/03 at 2:56pm

I saw Hairspray and I thought Marissa was a delight. I hadn't seen Gypsy yet. When Bernadette did her number at the Tony's, I was awestruck, I must say. Shortly after the Tony's, I saw Bernadette in Gypsy and I have to agree, she deserved to win the Tony for her Mama Rose.

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#38re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: tonys
Posted: 11/18/03 at 3:42pm

Sorry, I did sound confusing- but here is why I like Bernadette in a more clear manner.
Well Bernadette is excellent- I've seen some clips of her in Into the Wood and thought she was excellent- I mean she originated the role- and though she didnt win- I still loved her as it and she is beautiful on the Mack and Mabel soundtrack. In the roles Bernadette originated, she is the best- thats my biggest opinion of her. I love her lots, but am just sticking up for my other love Hairspray- The End- I started this whole commotion and I'm sorry.
Woo hoo and now back to the Tonys-
Does any one think Anna...Tropics will be nominated? I really want to see that- Daphne Rubin Vega is a treat. Any feed back would be great.

"They hear drums. We hear music."

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#39re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: tonys
Posted: 11/18/03 at 5:53pm

id love to see Doug Sills win the featured actor in a musical tony. I just thought he was superb. i havent seen Wicked, but can Joel Grey be nominated? Or is his role really too small?

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#40re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: tonys
Posted: 11/18/03 at 7:51pm

I really don't think Joel Grey's performance is worthy of a nom, but I'm sure if they want to nominate him he is eligible.