Putting it Together

gcal
#0Putting it Together
Posted: 1/19/05 at 4:17am

I just got the dvd with Carol Burnett today, and I bought the cast recording (with Julie Andrews) off of itunes, as well. What does everyone think of this show? I like how a plot can be established without really anything external added to the songs. I'm thinking of directing the show this summer- does anyone know how much rights would be? I checked MTI shows, but they don't provide that information easily.

The orchestrations in "Beling Alive" are chilling...

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#1re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/19/05 at 4:46am

mmm... you've hit a soft spot. I adore PUTTING IT TOGETHER. Especially the revised Broadway version with the male/female "Everybody Ought to Have a Maid", "Unworthy of Your Love", the Entr'Acte, "It's Hot in Here", "The Ladies Who Lunch", "Buddy's Blues" and "More" mmm... It's beautiful. If they had just included "Now" right after "Sooner Or Later" for John Barrowman to sing it would have been perfect. But even without... yeah, I just love it. It's a shame MTI only offers the MTC version and not the Broadway version. I hope in the future they are able to offer the Broadway version. ugh... I love it. As they say... It's the best show Sondheim never wrote... even though he did... re: Putting it Together

I can't wait for them to release THE FROGS too. In the new FROGS CD it says you can get the rights from MTI, but it's not up on their website yet... soon hopefully. Updated On: 1/19/05 at 04:46 AM

gcal
#2re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/19/05 at 5:02am

See, MTI confuses me about Putting It Together. In the song list, they list "The Ladies Who Lunch," "It's Hot Up Here," etc. But in the snyopsis, they mention the songs (and presumably plot?) from the original.

scotty Profile Photo
scotty
#3re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/19/05 at 7:08am

Im a huge fan of the DVD.

Highlights for me are:

The segue from 'Have I Gotta Girl For You' into 'Pretty Women'
Carol Burnett
and Ruthie's leg's.

Updated On: 1/19/05 at 07:08 AM

CATSNYrevival
#4re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/19/05 at 11:50am

ha! that is the Broadway version! I guess they're finally making it available! YAY!!!!!!!

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#5re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/19/05 at 12:07pm

John Barrowman's "Marry Me A Little"...he doesn't have THE greatest voice out there, but he performs the song really well and of course is stunning to look at.

Racetrack Profile Photo
Racetrack
#6re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/19/05 at 12:07pm

I love Putting it Together. It was a very enjoyable and I loved the songs. The Blooper never ceases to make me laugh. Also the cast was very good.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey, Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say. The oldest hath borne most; we that are young Shall never see so much, nor live so long"-Edgar in King Lear

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#7re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/19/05 at 12:08pm

I saw this show in L.A. prior to Broadway engagement with Susan Egan instead of Ruthie and Susan was a dynamite! Of course, John Barrowman was yummy as ever and I enjoyed the show but that kind of revue is very hard to pull I think.
Light To Shine fan site for Big River

CATSNYrevival
#8re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/19/05 at 12:10pm

John is on every studio recording in the known universe. what's this about his voice? pish...

wonderful1
#9re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/19/05 at 12:20pm

Guess I am in the minority - but, I disliked this show immensely. I found it boring. Carol Burnett's voice is a bit too stident for me. The only on I enjoyed was Ruthie Henshel -

jmnpublications
#10re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/19/05 at 1:30pm

I love the CD with Julie Andrews, Stephen Collins, Christopher Durang, Michael Rupert and Rachel York, but I'm lukewarm about the DVD with Carol Burnett. I prefer the song mix on the CD much more, plus I think the cast on the whole is stronger vocally. The harmonies are wonderful. You also get "Miller's Son" by Rachel York on the CD, which is heaven. I don't know why Ruthie Henshall wasn't given the opportunity to sing it in the Broadway production.

While Burnett doesn't sing as well as Andrews, she is very funny. Her performance, and the hilarious outtake, are the main reasons to watch the DVD. Oh, how I wish they had taped the MTC version. It sounds like it was really fun.

lc

CATSNYrevival
#11re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/19/05 at 1:42pm

The reason Henshall didn't need to sing "Miller's Son" is because she killed with "More". Why try to top that? re: Putting it Together

pattifan2
#12re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/19/05 at 4:20pm

Saw the original production of this at the Fire Station in Oxford. Diana Rigg, Clive Carter, Claire Moore, Clark Peters. It was terrific and as it was really a 'try out' it was interesting seeing Julia McKenzie and Cameron Mackintosh giving notes to the cast during the interval. Diana Rigg went up during 'Not Getting Married Today' and stopped the number, restarted and, of course, brought the house down. As far as I remember, the Julie Andrews production is the same version and I've only seen the odd number from the Carol Burnett dvd. I really want to see it all - she looks incredible and John B and Ruthie..Well.....

...fragment of the day...

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#13re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/19/05 at 10:04pm

I heard that the company that released it could have taped Ragtime instead. If that was true, what a shame. I like PIT but would have much preferred a professional copy of Ragtime on DVD. Great score & show which never really got its due. It may be the last great american musical until something better comes along

Poster Emeritus

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#14re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/19/05 at 10:20pm

The original cast recording isn't very good; the only real highlight is Rachel York. The revisions for the revival were better, I thought, and kept the story flowing. Plus, the cast is better on the DVD (Hearn, Burnett, Henshall, Barrowman, and Pinchot . re: Putting it Together)

Razz77 Profile Photo
Razz77
#15re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/20/05 at 12:31am

I think Ruthie Henshall is hypnotizing on this DVD -- she only has to move a finger and it looks like she did the most gorgeous intricate movement ever created.

sipos
#16re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/20/05 at 12:40am

Chris Durang is cute on the 1st recording ("I Could Drive a Person Crazy"). I think it's a good audition song for a guy, even though it's Sondheim.
Michael Rupert had/has/always had such a beautiful voice. And Rachel York's The Miller's Son. I forgot how great that was. And Julie saying "Oh fook it. Let's do it"

CATSNYrevival
#17re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/20/05 at 12:43am

hmmm... that's not what she said... re: Putting it Together

sipos
#18re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/20/05 at 12:45am

Did I get that wrong? I'm going from memory.

CATSNYrevival
#19re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/20/05 at 12:51am

lol. no you're right. I just meant that she didn't say 'fook'. re: Putting it Together

sipos
#20re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/20/05 at 12:53am

I knew it was either that or ....
yeah. ok, ha. hmm

thanks

:@)

broadwayguy2001
#21re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/20/05 at 1:16am

I too love the DVD of this revue...who can pass up Ruthie for god's sake?!?

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#22re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/20/05 at 1:40am

I was unmoved by this show both at Manhattan Theatre Club with Julie Andrews and on Broadway with Carol Burnett. The songs never made sense in the weird cocktail party plot. There were great moments about both productions, and also moments when I thought "what the hell were they thinking?" A song like "Could I Leave You," which is so reliant upon the situation that sets it up, lost so much by being shoehorned into a plot it didn't belong to.

I do agree with many of you, though, that Ruthie Henshall is something else. I hope she's back on Broadway soon.

CATSNYrevival
#23re: Putting it Together
Posted: 1/20/05 at 2:08am

well, if Cameron frikin' Mackintosh would mount his revival of OLIVER! on Broadway already Ruthie could reprise her role from the Palladium.... that would be awesome.

or she could just do CHICAGO again. I love her on the London revival CD... Updated On: 1/20/05 at 02:08 AM

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#24re: Putting it Together
Posted: 4/13/05 at 10:08am

We got the video last week from the library and after watching it - I have to say I liked the original MUCH better. Everyone in the original had stronger vocals (with the exception of Christopher Durang - oy what a non performer he is)...but Julie's voice was much easier to listen to than Carols (at this stage of the game, anyway) and I far prefer Rachel York over Ruthie Henshall...she (and her accent) gets on my nerves. Also Bronson Pinchot's shotgun vibrato and very stiff movements were annoying, not to mention the blandness of John Barrowman - yikes - what do people see in him? I've never been a huge Michael Rupert fan - but I would rather sit through his renditions of the songs than John Barrowman. George Hearn is one of my favorite performers, but he seemed off his game all evening - a little behind the music and not acting the songs the way I would have liked. All in all - I'm glad I went to see it at Manhattan Theatre Club when it was originally presented - a much more enjoyable evening.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

Videos