TABOO on TKTS??

robyn525600
#0TABOO on TKTS??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 11:45am

Has it been on there?! I know Rosie has stated that she will never put it on TKTS or distribute discount codes but with the lack of sales you'd think she'll stop being so stubborn and do it.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."

sparky310 Profile Photo
sparky310
#1re: TABOO on TKTS??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 11:50am

she ought to put them on theatremania..that might be her only chance..i wish her well though getting the show to catch on..she is very brave.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#2re: TABOO on TKTS??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 11:51am

Why did she say that? Is she implying that her show is too good to be had at discount prices? She would rather have empty seats than have some "less wealthy" folks enjoy her show? It doesn't sound like her old "come to Broadway" spirit.

PEACE.

sheekala
#3re: re: TABOO on TKTS??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 12:26pm

TKTS is the ONE place it should be, she'll get all the students who at the moment can't afford it.

You've got to spread joy up to the maximum Bring gloom down to the minimum Have faith or pandemonium's Liable to walk upon the scene

TEACHEROFTHEATER Profile Photo
TEACHEROFTHEATER
#4re: TABOO on TKTS??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 1:26pm

I never heard this before.

Where did you read that Rosie O' Donnell said there would be no discount codes or sales at the TKTS booth for Taboo?:)

"MAY YOUR LIFE BE AS BRIGHT AS BROADWAY AT NIGHT"

JakeB
#5re: re: TABOO on TKTS??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 1:37pm

I think every seat should be $50.

But then again, it should be running in a nightclub.

BroadwayPhil Profile Photo
BroadwayPhil
#6re: re: re: TABOO on TKTS??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 1:41pm

Playbill reports Taboo at 49% capacity last week.

Don't be the Bunny ....

Sunfish
#7TABOO on TKTS??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 2:01pm

Last week was opening week with lots of comps. Next week will be a better indicator.

I too think there should be discount codes, but the theater was full on Saturday. Don't know how many comps that might have included.

NativeNewYorker
#8re: TABOO on TKTS??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 2:34pm

Who does she think she is??????

tkts
#9re: re: TABOO on TKTS??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 2:56pm

According to this article, they played to 250 people on a Saturday night.
Post article

Cake or death?

Sunfish
#10 TABOO on TKTS??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 3:01pm

This is discussed in depth on All That Chat. There are several posters who were there Saturday night, and they said the theater was full. And they aren't rabid fans of the show so there is no reason for them to lie. The article is wrong.
One ATC post

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#11re: TABOO on TKTS??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 3:04pm

But was it as full at the end as it was in the begining? Hmm...

PEACE.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#12re: re: TABOO on TKTS??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 3:05pm

Oh, and regarding standing ovations, well, we have already had that thread, too. THEY MEAN NOTHING ANYMORE!!

PEACE.

NativeNewYorker
#13re: re: re: TABOO on TKTS??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 3:10pm

Ha! I agree about the standing ovations...I remember when Joey Fatone was in Rent, MTV or something made reference to that "he gets standing ovations every night!" Hello, I've never NOT seen a show get a standing ovations. The only show I've ever see that did not get a single standing ovation was Urban Cowboy.

newyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
#14re: re: re: re: TABOO on TKTS??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 3:14pm

People give standing O's to easy. And I hate it when people clap just because a celeb walked on stage. Show me what you can do, then i'll clap.

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#15re: re: re: re: TABOO on TKTS??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 3:15pm

"Never Gonna Dance", did not receive one when I attended last week. I agree though, that a standing ovation is beyond played out these days. Updated On: 11/18/03 at 03:15 PM

Sunfish
#16Standing O's & Cheers
Posted: 11/18/03 at 3:18pm

I agree that standing ovations are no longer a reliable indicator of audience approval.

On a related note, several shows I have seen recently received vocal cheering during the curtain call (and standing ovation). Is this becoming common as well, or could it be the new indicator of audience approval? Do all age groups cheer or is it mostly the younger audience members? (no offense meant for our younger members, I am just wondering if cheering is a generational thing)

tkts
#17re: re: re: re: TABOO on TKTS??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 3:18pm

Do the percentages that the BO reports include the "give away" tickets? I'm not saying that 800-900 is correct or 250 is correct, but based on 49% last week, the 250 mark seems closer to reality.

Cake or death?

TEACHEROFTHEATER
#18re: re: TABOO on TKTS??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 4:20pm

NativeNewYorker,

perhaps you should not believe everything you read.

papalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
#19re: re: re: taboo on tkts??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 4:53pm

yes, as of now, taboo is up on the big board for 50% off...along with nearly every other show on broadway.

personally i think we need to come up with something better than the standing ovation...a group mooning is my preference. what star would not be honored to look out and sea a sea of snowy white pink brown yellow and green bottoms shining back at them? it would also castly improve the chances of getting backstage as well..."bring me that one in row g on the left...mmmmm tasty."

r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective

TEACHEROFTHEATER
#20re: re: re: re: taboo on tkts??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 4:55pm

papa, hmmmmmmmmmmmm how very interesting.....teeeheeee:))

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#21re: re: re: re: re: taboo on tkts??
Posted: 11/18/03 at 8:34pm

It's really on TKTS? I'm goin'.

Good for Rosie. Fill those seats, let people talk it up.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

MartyO49
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: taboo on tkts??
Posted: 11/19/03 at 8:30am

Taboo was on TKTS last night (11/1re: re: re: re: re: re: taboo on tkts?? & my friend & I got fifth row orchestra seats on the side. I actually enjoyed the show. It was unfocused & messy but the performances were wonderful & Boy George was a hoot. He reminded me of Divine. Maybe he could replace Harvey Fierstein in Hairspray. There was a lot of talent & wonderful songs & costumes on stage. I recommend it to on and all for a good time.

TEACHEROFTHEATER
#23re: TABOO on TKTS??
Posted: 11/19/03 at 9:54am

Robyn525600,

Can't you tell us where you read the information that led you to post the following?

"Has it been on there?! I know Rosie has stated that she will never put it on TKTS or distribute discount codes but with the lack of sales you'd think she'll stop being so stubborn and do it."

Robyn, This would obviously be very, very strange,if it were true, therefore many of us are curious as to where you got this information. Thanks much:)

robyn525600
#24re: re: TABOO on TKTS??
Posted: 11/19/03 at 10:39am

I have a friend in the cast and I spoke to her last night after reading all of your posts that it was in fact on the TKTS board and she said that Rosie said that back in the day when she thought it would be the hit of the year and she thought that ticket sales would be skyrocketing.

Glad to hear that she has decided to do TKTS. I wonder if discount codes are around the corner?!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."