News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

WICKED with LauraBell Bundy

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#0WICKED with LauraBell Bundy
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:37pm

Did anyone see Laura Bell in Wicked? why didn't she get the part instead of JLT? What project is she doing now, since she's not doing wicked anymore??!

chrisshin Profile Photo
chrisshin
#1re: WICKED with LauraBell Bundy
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:47pm

i made it a point to try and see laura when kristin was doing candide. i was not impressed at all. her popular was the most atrocious thing that night. she emotionally didn't have much of a journey and lacked a lot of chemistry with idina. obviously, being a standby she's said before that you don't have much time to make the part your own. she just did nothing for me. i even remember her for good being letting her emotions getting the worst of her and not being able to really sing the song. i'm all for acting the song and if you don't sound great and it's a choice, then great. but she didn't commit to anything. i must say, her i couldn't be happier was the best vocally i've heard that night. but she really didn't nothing for me.

as for why she didn't replace kristin, it was a contract thing. i'd heard basically she wanted more money than she could get and therefore didn't continue.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#2re: WICKED with LauraBell Bundy
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:11pm

She was pretty good in the second act that I saw her in (kristin left at intermission). Her singing was great, but I felt she tried to copy Kristin.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#3re: WICKED with LauraBell Bundy
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:11pm

Candide was filmed that long ago?! How long was Kristin out for? Why didn't they release it to PBS sooner if it was filmed months and months ago?

timote316
#4re: WICKED with LauraBell Bundy
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:14pm

I remember hearing her and Kerry Butler were working on a new TV show. I don't remember hearing how that turned out, though

Joshua488
#5re: WICKED with LauraBell Bundy
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:16pm

Laura Bell Bundy didn't replace Kristin Chenoweth because she and the producers couldn't come to a mutual agreement on her contract. I believe she said this on her official website.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#6re: WICKED with LauraBell Bundy
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:21pm

I read the same thing too, Joshua. She's out of her mind. Who turns down the lead in a hit Broadway show? Why, does she have some better offer?

timote316
#7re: WICKED with LauraBell Bundy
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:22pm

I don't know, but it appears the Wicked producers made the right call, as JLT is excellent.

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#8re: WICKED with LauraBell Bundy
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:22pm

I saw Laura Bell as Glinda when I saw the show a second time. She was fine, but I don't think replacement material. She was weak in "What is this feeling?"...Idina overpowered her.

Her acting was fine, I guess...it was similar to Kristin's but that didn't bother me. She was just your every day ordinary dumb blonde who decided to be nicer in the end. Kristin brought more to the role, I think, and went through an emotional journey. Laura Bell didn't really do that. I did enjoy her though.

Joshua488
#9re: WICKED with LauraBell Bundy
Posted: 1/30/05 at 4:40pm

I have no idea! She probably felt that she wasn't going to be paid "enough", which is a shame, but, what can you do? Some people's egos go through the roof and they don't like to compromise. Don't get me wrong; I love Laura Bell! But it's a shame that she couldn't take the gig for what it was. I doubt that they were offering a salary that was less than spectacular.

starfromafar Profile Photo
starfromafar
#10re: WICKED with LauraBell Bundy
Posted: 1/30/05 at 4:54pm

According to her website she is working on a project with the flaming lips. It is written in the laura's message part of her fac club website at www.laurabellbundyfanclub.com! Sounds interesting!

wicked4life51 Profile Photo
wicked4life51
#11re: WICKED with LauraBell Bundy
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:26pm

i saw her in it , i didnt think she did that great but like she was ok just was no KC

"what? what is it? do i have something in my teeth? ok lets get this over with : no im not seasick,yes ive always been green, and no i didnt chew grass as a child "

Benzy92 Profile Photo
Benzy92
#12re: WICKED with LauraBell Bundy
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:32pm

she was pretty terrible in Wicked.

The producers offered her less money as the replacement then what they were paying her as a stand by so she turned it down. JLT is 4000% percent better as Glinda.

Alli579 Profile Photo
Alli579
#13re: WICKED with LauraBell Bundy
Posted: 1/30/05 at 9:50pm

I saw Laura Bell Bundy's 2nd act as Glinda because Kristin left at intermission. I did really like her, but I thought she played the role almost exactly like Kristin (Which could have been a good thing considering the audience was already used to Kristin's take on the character).

I took a look at her website when she left Wicked, and she had posted a note saying that she was offered the role of Glinda, but she and the producers could not come to an agreement. She went on to say something about only expecting to be contracted for six months, and they wanted her longer. She mentioned having several projects she wanted to work on, and it would be too long of a commitment.

Although she does seem to be busy now (according to her website), I cannot imagine why she would turn down such a large role. Oh well, we got JLT outa the deal, and she is truly wonderful!

Ryan80
#14re: WICKED with LauraBell Bundy
Posted: 1/30/05 at 10:46pm

Laura had a lot of things in the works and possible upcoming projects that could have done more for her in the long run. She was indeed headed to California to shoot a pilot with Kerry Butler. They were to play sisters. The pilot was not picked up.

superperson
#15re: WICKED with LauraBell Bundy
Posted: 1/30/05 at 10:54pm

I saw both Kristin and Laura, and I think on some levels I thought Laura was more appropriate for the part. She was more believable as a stuck-up popular blond "cheerleader." Kristin is a character actress, she was a quirky, precious Glinda. You'd believe her to be more part of the popular girl's clique than as the popular girl herself. I thought Kristin was more entertaining but not as believable as the character. Laura started off as a stereotype and spent the show deconstructing it, which really worked. Kristin is clearly a very superior singer, and Laura flatted out a few of the more thrilling coloratura notes, which was a shame.

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#16re: WICKED with LauraBell Bundy
Posted: 1/30/05 at 11:11pm

Actually her soprano was one of the highlights of the performance the night I saw it. After hearing her on the Hairspray recording, I never thought she could do that. But she really has a beautiful soprano that's rarely used. I was impressed with that at least.

Merrydothe Profile Photo
Merrydothe
#17re: WICKED with LauraBell Bundy
Posted: 1/31/05 at 1:07am

I think I posted about her in Wicked before. I saw her and Eden the week that Kristen was on vacation, and Idina was filming in South Africa. Let me just say, I was horrified by how awful LBB was. Couldn't sing a note fully on pitch-I was grabbing my seat and raising my eyebrows all night. At one point during What Is This Feeling, she was beats behind Eden, and the Orchestra-she sounded like an echo. It was horrible and embarassing. Acting was good, nothing special, no depth like you all said-although she did fake sob all the way through For Good. She might as well have bit her knuckles and turned her head away-Ugh so not believable and cheezzzey. Eden was right on, on the other hand-wowed me like no other. Sean McCourt was also in that night as the Wizard-ooo loved him! Anyway I look forward to seeing Shosh and all the new people on February 10th! Updated On: 1/31/05 at 01:07 AM

Videos