Happy BD Jonathan Larson

ThePrinceOfHumbug
#0Happy BD Jonathan Larson
Posted: 2/4/05 at 12:56am

I know we had a lot of RENT love on here over the past weeks with the anniversary of the shows opening and Jonathan's death. But rather than think about what might have been, I am thankful for what we have from him!

Count me as one of the many that have been touched by the show. Not only to touch on issues that people shyed away from, but to say it is OK to be whoever the H*LL you are and if someone doesn't like it...screw off! RENT has also blessed me with incredible friends around the country that I would have never met if not for hours spend sitting on a sidewalk playin Catchphrase and explain to confused people that rush tickets were not for the band RUSH, but for seats at RENT. This show has shown me Athens, OH and San Fran and West Palm Beach and many points in between that I would have never thought to travel to.

I was also brought to tears by Come to Your Senses (thank you Nicole Snelson) from tick, tick...BOOM! The passion and the "realness" that is in this work makes you feel because within our lives we have felt the same. The love. The pain. The struggle. The success. And most of us have heard and felt that clock that keeps ticking and pushing us.

So on what would have been the big 45...Happy Birthday to you and may God keep you warm!

...but it was us, baby, who were the lucky ones!

Talk Hard. Steal the Air. H.H.H.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#1re: Happy BD Jonathan Larson
Posted: 2/4/05 at 1:13am

Happy Birthday, JL! What wonderful sentiment, Prince.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#2re: Happy BD Jonathan Larson
Posted: 2/4/05 at 1:15am

Beautiful post Prince!

And happy birthday to Jonathan Larson! May he rest in peace always.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#3re: Happy BD Jonathan Larson
Posted: 2/4/05 at 1:16am

Absolutely, I adore him.

I actually had the opportunity to go into his apartment a few years ago and it was chilling. To see the stop on the floor where he was found dead was chilling. Sorry to be morbid, it's not how I meant it. It was such an amazing experience and I will never forget it. I owe so much to him for inspiring me so much...re: Happy BD Jonathan Larson

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Chrysanthemum62001
#4re: Happy BD Jonathan Larson
Posted: 2/4/05 at 1:21am

What a wonderful birth to celebrate.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#5re: Happy BD Jonathan Larson
Posted: 2/4/05 at 7:32am

Out of all the "Birthday Posts," I think this has been my favorite. What an incredible man- I just wish he was here longer to show the world what he could do even more...

..thank you so much, prince!

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#6re: Happy BD Jonathan Larson
Posted: 2/4/05 at 7:35am

Thank you prince!

wasn't fair, but Im sure there's another thread for his death....

Well a nice warm HAPPY BIRTHDAY for on of the greatest men!

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#7re: Happy BD Jonathan Larson
Posted: 2/4/05 at 7:46am

He was so talented. It's so sad to think of a genius like that, or anyone, for thant matter, dying at a young age.

BEKA531
#8re: Happy BD Jonathan Larson
Posted: 2/4/05 at 8:41am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JONATHAN LARSON!

(i'll edit this later... we got an INCH of snow and have a 2 hour delayed opening, and now i'm gonna miss the bus...)

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#9re: Happy BD Jonathan Larson
Posted: 2/4/05 at 9:48am

Happy BD Johnathon Larson!

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#10re: Happy BD Jonathan Larson
Posted: 2/4/05 at 11:43am

Happy birthday JL!!!!! You are missed and you work continues to enlighten many who walk into the nederlander or see the tour. Thanks for everything!

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#11re: Happy BD Jonathan Larson
Posted: 2/4/05 at 12:09pm

Happy Birthday, Jonathan - you have touched more lives that you could have ever dreamed possible. Thanks for changing mine and setting me on the right path re: Happy BD Jonathan Larson

seasons of love Profile Photo
seasons of love
#12re: Happy BD Jonathan Larson
Posted: 2/4/05 at 3:54pm

Happy Birthday Jonathan. As I have said on other threads, you have touched so many lives including mine. Your music has helped me through many tough times. Thank you so much......

"I am unfinished- I am diminished With or without you..."

Videos