Should I Audition with prop??

Roxie Profile Photo
Roxie
#0Should I Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/15/05 at 10:21am

Before you freak out and ask how could you bring a prop to an audition....don't worry it's not like a table or lamp or anything haha. I'm singing the song Vanilla Ice Cream (as I've posted before) for my Sheridan College audition next staurday and if you know that song you know that it's largely based around rthe fact that she's writing a letter. It doesn't make much sense without it. Would it be frowned upon for me to bring a notebook and pencil into the audition with me? Thanks! Updated On: 2/15/05 at 10:21 AM

judy_in_disguise
#1re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/15/05 at 10:42am

ah just do it, I've had to use a book before, I don't like it, but a book is pretty much the only prop you can get away with using.

And break a leg at Sheridan! It's a fun place.

OtherDaryl Profile Photo
OtherDaryl
#2re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/15/05 at 11:28am

Never bring a prop to an open audition - the auditors will be familiar with the material and don't need the distraction. Highlight your self, not your creativity with extraneous objects.

"Love Life. Live." Michael Bennett

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#3re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/15/05 at 11:33am

They need to know that you have the skills to perform the song without the prop.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#4re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/15/05 at 11:44am

For a college it might fly... but I have heard that that's the one female song to NEVER do for auditions. Ever. Do whatever you like, it's just a caution.

sfs1414
#5re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:17pm

Don't take a prop in. Seriously, Don't.

#6re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:55pm

I have been told that the only prop you should ever bring to any audition is a jar of peanut butter and a straw.

Jazzysuite82
#7re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/15/05 at 1:42pm

Speaking as someone who auditions all the time ( I went to an Arts college too). I think for that song go aheard and bring the prop. It's soo song specific. They don't need to see that you can do the song without a prop. It's a college audition, not broadway. They want to see if you have inherent talent and can find your way through a song. There's a part of that song where she reads over the letter and erases it. How do you play that without a letter? You'll look schizo. It's essential to the acting of the piece. THAT'S what counts. They want to see you act a song. Go with a prop in this instance. Usually props are a no-no but this is necessary. Generally there are exceptions to every rule. I've never heard anyone say not to sing this song in an audition. If you sing the song well then do it. That's the auditioning rule. Make sure you do it well, it's appropriate for what you're auditioning for, and it's playable. Speaking as an singing actor and pianist, that song moooore than qualifies if you think you do that song well. GOOD LUCK!!!!

pab Profile Photo
pab
#8re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/15/05 at 2:19pm

I have auditioned MANY people and I don't care what they bring as a prop. If the director is truly concerned with what talent the person auditioning has, a prop will not matter. He/She is looking for someone who is capable of performing the role.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

brdlwyr
#9re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/15/05 at 2:24pm

Pab - I was hoping that someone on the other side of the table would repond.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#10re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/15/05 at 2:26pm

If you're doing the entire song, it does require a piece of paper or something, although as a rule of thumb you should not use props at an audition. I guess you can use it, but in the future, try to avoid that kind of thing.

Speed
#11re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/15/05 at 4:54pm

DEFINITELY use a prop. Trust your instincts. You want to write the letter while you're doing the song and you don't want to frickin mime it, do you? Definitely use props.

Yo, I've used all sorts of props in auditions and I've worked on Broadway, regionally, TV, film, etc. I can think of a Tony nominee friend of mine who has brought props to auditions as well. But that's not the point. Don't do it because I do or she did, do it because you know it's right for the song. Trust your instincts and don't be afraid of doing ANYTHING in an audition. Contrary to popular belief, there are no rules for auditioning. It's YOUR audition.

Peace. Updated On: 2/15/05 at 04:54 PM

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#12re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/15/05 at 4:57pm

I agree with Pab but college auditors have a tendency to think themselves better than others so I would so don't do it this time unless it is a school you don't really care if you get into.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

Speed
#13re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/15/05 at 4:59pm

I so disagree. If a college doesn't want you because you bring a prop to an audition, then I don't think you want to go to that college.

Besides, I would think a college would like people who trust their instincts and take risks (not that using a prop is much of a risk). I know someone who got into Juilliard by singing "I Will Survive" a capella. Would anyone have recommend that? Probably not. But she followed her instincts. Updated On: 2/15/05 at 04:59 PM

judy_in_disguise
#14re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/15/05 at 5:00pm

Trust me, the folks at Sheridan won't care if you bring in that sort of prop. They're from Oakville. They're not scary.

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#15re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/15/05 at 5:03pm

Just don't use a gun. Happens more often then you think.

Speed
#16re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/15/05 at 5:10pm

True that, on the gun! If that's your instinct, you need to suppress it. Updated On: 2/15/05 at 05:10 PM

erinrebecca
#17re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/15/05 at 5:51pm

broadwaystar, Sheridan's in Canada. It's unlikely she'll have a gun. re: Audition with prop??

I don't really know what to advise here. My first instinct is to say no, don't use a prop, because that's what I've been taught for years. I asked a friend on IM about it because this friend graduated from Sheridan and has performed both on Broadway and at the Canon in Toronto. Her advice is the same as mine, but honestly, this is a decision you have to make yourself. If you're more comfortable with a prop, then go for it. And break a leg!

OtherDaryl Profile Photo
OtherDaryl
#18re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/15/05 at 7:11pm

The point here is make the audition about you, not a prop. I've auditioned so many folks who just let their props take over and it is a shame. Sing your song - act your scene - do it well and a prop isn't at all necessary.

"Love Life. Live." Michael Bennett

Leveradnon Profile Photo
Leveradnon
#19re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/15/05 at 7:25pm

I'm actually in a production of She Loves Me! and I'd say go with the prop. I've auditioned with a prop (it was a pill bottle that I was a guy on anti-depressants) and it didn't seem to hurt me at all.

That being said, I've heard directors tell me that they gather most of what they want to know from the first few seconds of your audition. Your voice, energy, stuff like that...and I've done a lot of really stupid stuff in auditions (like in a monologue where I was proposing to a girl, actually proposing to the director) and it hasn't seemed to hurt me so I think its pretty much your call...for Vanilla Ice Cream it seems like a good idea to me because the first couple times I was confused when I listened to the CD about what she was actually doing during that song.

SeeIreallycouldn'tSING!! Profile Photo
SeeIreallycouldn'tSING!!
#20re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/16/05 at 10:29am

I would say no the prop, only becuase its a major distraction and I think it looks unprofesstioanl. :)

MusicMan
#21re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/16/05 at 10:57am

What's important and actable in the song is the thought process and the distinction between the internal and external focus, not the writing. Avoid the prop at all costs.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#22re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/16/05 at 10:58am

Perhaps you should audition with a different song if you absolutely cannot perform this one without a prop.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#23re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/16/05 at 11:06am

Ehhh I don't think it is horrible if you do use one but I would advice you not to prsonally.

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

cathyhyatt
#24re: Audition with prop??
Posted: 2/16/05 at 11:12am

its kind of late now but colleges usually strongly discourage against songs like that...meaning ones that are telling a story...alot of times they say that

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

Videos