Maury Yeston

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#0Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 12:12pm

What do you all think of his music? There are a few songs that I dont really like, but overall, I think he's fantastic!

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

Yankeefan007
#1re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 12:17pm

beautiful music, much like frank wildhorn

Jimmcf Profile Photo
Jimmcf
#2re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 12:38pm

Much better than Wildhorn.

Just listen to "Nine" against "Jekyll and Hyde."

My mother always used to say, "The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana." - Rose Nyland

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#3re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 12:40pm

Great songwriter indeed. And notably all his shows who were on Broadway suceeded. The more the stronger is presence in the score happened to be: Grand Hotel (with revisions and a bunch of new songs by him) did well, but Nine and Titanic hit the tonys greatly and found a big audience.

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#4re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 12:41pm

I love his music. I've started a few threads on him and I love Nine, Phantom and Grand Hotel.

musicalmjk Profile Photo
musicalmjk
#5re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 12:52pm

I only know him from Nine, havent heard any of his other shows. I know I should, I've heard that his Phantom is really good.

need to defrag my brain.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#6re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 12:56pm

I really feel like he's quite opposite of Frank Wildhorn.

I ADORE the Maury Yeston Songbook CD. If you don't have it, you have to get it. It's AMAZING.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#7re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 12:58pm

i have that CD- love it!

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

My Fair Lady
#8re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 12:59pm

The Maury Yeston Songbook is great. I love it!

broadwaynut20
#9re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 12:59pm

Isn't Maury supposed to have a new show out soon by librettist Peter Stone. I think the Grim Reaper is a character in it. I can't think of the title right now though

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#10re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 1:02pm

God, I hope so.
Has anyone else heard Liz Callaway's version of his "New Words"? It's breathtaking.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#11re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 1:09pm

I did actually!! amazing!

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#12re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 1:40pm

i love Maury Yeston! nine, grand hotel and titanic all great music:)

My Fair Lady
#13re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 1:40pm

I love Titanic!

Chrysanthemum62001
#14re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 1:47pm

His music is absolutely beautiful. I don't think I would compare him to Wildhorn at all.

Actually his harmonies remind me a lot of Sondheim compositions sometimes. So beautiful. Plus, it can be quite a challenge performing a Maury Yeston peice. Which also reminds me of Sondheim.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

My Fair Lady
#15re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 1:49pm

I'm doing "Unusual Way" with my voice teacher and it really is hard. We transposed it a step because my chest voice is awful.

broadwaynut20
#16re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 3:53pm

Death Takes a Holiday is his next show. However, this is an old article so plans have obviously changed

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/85796.html

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#17re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 4:05pm

Wow. I had all but forgotten about it. I wonder what's going on with it now...?

Chrysanthemum62001
#18re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 4:12pm

Yeah, I remember hearing a while back Raúl was doing a reading for that. I wonder what will become of that show.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#19re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 4:13pm

I like some of his stuff but others I don't. Like PHANTOM.....I like the music, I do but when people say it is "Brilliant" and "Way better than Webbers version" I have complaining to do. It sounds EXACTLY like Anastasia and Hunchback of Notre Dame. It is what Disney would have sounded like if they would have gotten a hold of the story. And speaking of story, it goes completely off course of the Leroux novel. That is what I don't like most about it. But, it does have good music in it.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#20re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 4:49pm

There are only a very few Yeston songs I like ("Unusual Way" from Nine, "Home" from Phantom), but, as a whole, I can't stand his musicals. Nine bores the crap outta me, Phantom is just blah, and, though I've heard a few songs from Titanic and Grand Hotel, his music annoys me to the point where I don't want to give those two a chance.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#21re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/25/05 at 6:08pm

I would loved to see Goya staged somewhere. Great score

Met him twice. Once on the street. He was with a much taller woman ( he is short) & told him how much I like his music. He was very appreciative

The next time was at the closing performance of Marie Christine. He was eating a big cookie. Again he was very friendly I asked him why the critics beat up on Wildhorn. He said he thought he wrote lovely music & he liked the guy personally

Poster Emeritus

Mahatma Kane Jeeves
#22re: Maury Yeston
Posted: 2/26/05 at 11:36am

Great thread! I've just been cast in our local theater's spring production of "Phantom" as Alain Cholet. In my opinion, Yeston's score is brilliant and touches places in me that Webber's score does not even begin to. It's nothing short of a crime that this GEM of a show remains virtually unknown while the overrated, overblown Webber version thrives. Not to mention Kopit's book for the show which is SO much better constructed both story and charater wise. Kopit brings a refreshing humor to the show, which Webber's "Harlequin Romance Musical" as I like to call it is completely devoid of. If my post can convince just one of you who is unfamiliar with Yeston's "Phanton" to check it out, i'll consider a success. End of rant. :)

Brush up your Shakespeare, and they'll all kow-tow!

Videos