Meeting Broadway Stars

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#50re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 2:48pm

Harvey was nice to me (he pinched my cheek and called me cute), but others seemed to have had bad experiences.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#51re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 2:50pm

Harvey is one of the nicest people I've ever met. Who else would spend close to an hour every night after a marathon, 3 hour performance talking to all of his fans and signing everything. He was a total darling.

Chevstriss
#52re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 2:51pm

i have found they are always nicer before you sleep w/ them than they are the next morning - ooops sorry i thought you meant Rock Stars.

I'd fire you... if you weren't so g*dd*mn beautiful out there. - Blades of Glory blog

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#53re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 2:53pm

Chev, that is true of Broadway stars as well.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

sweetiedarlinmia Profile Photo
sweetiedarlinmia
#54re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 2:55pm

When I met the cast of Caroline, I was pretty well composed...until I met Tonya Pinkins. I rambled ridiculously but she was really nice about it and waited until I composed myself. The only reason I didnt make a fool of myself when I met Phylicia Rashad is because I pretty much rehearsed what I was going to say. That's right, I rehearsed it. It was worth it. I didn't make a fool of myself and had a very nice convo with her.

Now If I were to meet Audra... I would honestly fall right out on the floor. Or just stare with my jaw on the floor.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#55re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 2:57pm

Tonya Pinkins is really nice, mia.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

melissa errico fan
#56re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 2:57pm

Tonya was one of the nicest people I've ever met at a stage door. I met the whole "Caroline" cast, except for Alice Playten.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#57re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 2:58pm

They are possibly the nicest collective cast I've met, outside of LITTLE WOMEN.

sweetiedarlinmia
#58re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 3:00pm

Tonya made a lifelong fan that night for sure. I floating for several days after that night.

melissa errico fan
#59re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 3:01pm

Did you meet Alice? She was the only one who didn't come out and sign.

sweetiedarlinmia
#60re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 3:04pm

Yea I met Alice. She is soooo sweet. My friend and I had a nice convo with her as well. She was so happy that we enjoyed the show. Honestly, that entire cast made a lifelong fan. They were just incredibly nice and humble.

carymetorent2 Profile Photo
carymetorent2
#61re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 3:04pm

I have met a lot of Broadway stars but the ones that stick out in my mind are:

Barrett Foa - The first time I met him, I introduced myself and we ended up talking for a while. After that, I always seemed to go to Avenue Q when he was on and he would always be so happy to see me and would give me a big hug. ON february 13th, i finally won Avenue Q lotto and when I saw him after, I asked him to be my valentine and he took my playbill and wrote "To Valentine, Be mine" and now, he calls me Valentine.
John Tartaglia - The first time I met him, I was speechless and he remembered me. He is the sweetest and he even recorded the voicemail on my phone for me ....
Cheyenne Jackson - Such a sweetheart!! He is just such a warm person.
The whole cast of Rent - they are all so friendly and nice. They all stop to talk all the time and are just all great people!

"Less Of A Marilyn, More Of A Jackie" www.richardhblake.com

melissa errico fan
#62re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 3:08pm

Mia, I really wish I could have met her. I loved her in "First Lady Suite" so many years ago. The stage door guy said that she had a cold and had left right away through an alternate exit.

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#63re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 3:28pm

Let's see, I have never actually met any bway stars, but I have stage doored and had mini convos with some poeple. I don't count this as actually meeting the though. Here goes (people I have seen at the stagedoor):

Kristin Chenoweth
Idina Menzel-Asked her about the RENT movie. She said she was very excited. My sister congratulated her on her Tony win.
Sutton Foster- had a few mini conversations with her: asked her if she remembered My Fair Lady; told her I loved her hat, she said "Oh thanks, it's so dorky, but it keeps me warm." and told me to stay warm, etc. I love her!!!
Jenny Powers- felt like fool when I told her I loved her and love her hair. ("I love your hair!" "In the show?" "Yeah. *pause* I mean I love it now too, but -" "oh please, it looks a mess now.") ahh, it was embarrassing
Janet Carroll- talked to her about how much i love Little Women and how it was my friend's first time at a bway show
Megan McGinnis
Danny Gurwin
John Hickok- talked to him a bit about AIDA
Jim Weitzer
Amy McAlexander
Norbert Leo Butz
Michelle Federer
Megan Hilty
Joey McIntyre

Most of these I just got autographs from, not actually had conversations with. My dream is to be able to actually talk to and have real converations with Idina, Sutton, and Kristin.

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

SuddenlyTrey Profile Photo
SuddenlyTrey
#64re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 3:38pm

I was recently in NY and saw Brooklyn because I had first read about it early last year somewhere online. I had found some recordings (mainly illegal) online of Eden singing Elphaba when Wicked was huge. And I thought, wow that girl is amazing and when I heard she was in Brooklyn I just wanted to see it because of her. Well I got Student Rush and was on the front row. The CD had just come out 2 days before I saw it and on the first number when they all enter everyone claps in the audience...so I clapped and screamed my heart out.....silence. No one else in the audience cared. haha BUT, Eden looked at me and said, "Thank you man!" and I freaked out. After the show I waited and she wasn't very nice. She was just very quick with me. I'm not offended, it was cool, but it was like when I met Emily Skinner and she was very short with my friend who was crying because she loves her so much. I also found pictures of Eden with other fans in Denver and early in NY and she looked really excited about taking a pic with them, unlike mine!! :) I hope she is still grateful...maybe it was a bad day for her.

My Pic...
re: Meeting Broadway Stars

"Jaime's convienced that the problems are mine. Jaime is probably doing just fine. And I'm still hurting."

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#65re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 3:39pm

I think she's used to having fans now.

ponine24601
#66re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 4:02pm

adam pascal- i was, and always will be starstruck whenever i meet him. he's so awesome, so he doesn't care if you make a fool out of yourself.

kevin anderson-he was one of the sweetest men i've met. he was so generous and thankful for the praise and complements.

hell the entire cast of brooklyn is amazing.

when howard mcgillin let my friend, dad, and I go into his dressing room and then have a backstage tour for POTO i couldn't talk. I think i managed to get a 'omg you are amazing, thanks so much!' out though.

david ayers- i don't think i can say enough great things about this man. he's just a huge bundle of sweetness. he talked to me and my sister for like 20 minutes and remembered us each time after fiddler on the roof.

lisa brescia-one of the biggest sweethearts in the business. i love her to death.

jenn gambatese, cheyenne jackson, heck everyone's a sweetheart!!

all of my meetings were wonderful. i don't think that i have ever met a star that was rude.

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

Anne5122 Profile Photo
Anne5122
#67re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 4:08pm

Mia, I almost fell out on the floor =) She has presence but she's so nice. I was a fan before, now I'm a lifelong fan.

But I met an actor who wasn't necessarily on Broadway, he was doing the tour of TMM playing Jimmy's role, Bryan McElroy. I saw the tour on my birthday and saw in the playbill that he had a website. So I emailed him and told him that I thought he did a great job and I enjoyed his performance. We emailed back and forth and I asked him if he was available for coffee while he was still in town. I almost fell out of my seat at work when he said yes and the coffee meeting was nice. He had a funny sense of humor, very gracious and sweet considering his schedule

The phrase "working mother" is redundant. -Jane Sellman-

NativeNewYorker
#68re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 4:12pm

"cheyenne jackson, heck everyone's a sweetheart!!"

Really? I've heard he was a real jerk from a lot of other people.

Updated On: 2/25/05 at 04:12 PM

Yonah Profile Photo
Yonah
#69re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 4:14pm

The entire cast of the US Starlight Express touring cast was really nice when my friends and I met them, despite us being all squeeley and fangirlish *blushes*.

Dracula had the sweetest collective cast ever! I know the Mellissa Errico made a point of learning and remembering the names of a lot of the shows' fans. She also stood outside at the stagedoor and talked for a good 15 minutes with a friend and me once. Of course, my friend was doing most of the talking, because I'm hopelessly shy.

One time I brought a Korean friend of mine, who knew very little English to see Dracula with me. I brought her to the stage door, and she wanted to talk to the actors. She had the strangest compliments for all of them ("You were so very have vampire!" "Very good! The Draculas made many flying!"), and they were all incredibly sweet to her. She was so excited after that, and told me that she'd never met such nice actors.

http://chianaq.conforums3.com/index.cgi - forum for Dracula: The Musical, Tanz Der Vampire, Elisabeth, POTO, Rocky Horror, Jekyll & Hyde, Wicked, Bat Boy, general theatre, and Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicals

Chrysanthemum62001
#70re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 4:17pm

Hey now!

The first time I met Cheyenne was after Millie one night when he was Jimmy. And he was as sweet as he could be! re: Meeting Broadway Stars

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

Yankeefan007
#71re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 4:19pm

Melissa is a sweetheart....she sent me free stuff :)

melissa errico fan
#72re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 4:21pm

Yes, Melissa is a total darling. She really loves and respects her fans.

#73re: Meeting Broadway Stars
Posted: 2/25/05 at 4:33pm

Um, I have an interesting approach, when Im meeting someone 'famous' or even just a cutie, I tend to be really bold and blurt things out that I should probably not say to someone im just sayin hi to. I cant really help it, I think its just adrenaline.

For example, I didnt really like bothering people at the stage door of Hairspray that I didnt know so id hang back and wait for the ones I knew, but the first time Clarke Thorell said hi to me, he said hed seen me around before and my response was "Im hard to miss!" which somehow came off as both flirty and snotty, but he laughed. The first time Jackie Hoffman said something to me was to comment on my cleavage. Ha!

joeysgirl
#74I met Joey Mac!
Posted: 2/25/05 at 4:36pm

I met Joey Mac in the subway station right by the Gershwin. We rode in the car together until 8th Street. When he got out, it was my stop as well. I talked to him about Wicked and about how Idina and Taye were handling the threats they were recieving by letter. He was a very sweet, mild mannered, normal guy! He also introduced me to his wife. She was a sweetheart. It made my life! His eyes were bluer than blue!