Popular

bwaybaby13
#0Popular
Posted: 3/11/05 at 5:18pm

I'm singing Popular *my first song by myself* in my middle school concert. Our numbers are always costumed and choreographed. My friend will be my "Elphie" but she's going to be dressed as a tomboy and will have a dress underneath her other clothes and will show the dress to the audience after going behind the curtain. I am having to issues though, 1. What should I do for the rest of the choreography besides show her the makeup and such and 2. I am not the girliest and most popular girl and the closest thing I have to a frilly pink dress is a green gown that I have. Do you think that will work?
I am really excited because this is my last performance in my middle school and I want it to be fantastic, so any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Without Sondheim, when sensitive teenagers got depressed, they'd just kill themselves. 'this is wanting something, this is praying for it, this is holding back and keeping fingers crossed.'- light in the piazza 11.11.05

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#1re: Popular
Posted: 3/11/05 at 5:20pm

I don't think a green gown would work, just because it's Elphaba's color. Buy something pink or powder blue.

Kimmygonbefamous Profile Photo
Kimmygonbefamous
#2re: Popular
Posted: 3/11/05 at 5:21pm

Just be obsessed with yourself. Have a hand mirror, and keep looking at yourself in it. Jump around, giggle, stuff like that. I know that when I saw the show, Glinda did alot of really (purposefully) bad ballet-type jumps during the "la-la"s. As long as you don't mention the fact that Elphaba's green, a green dress should be fine, but if it's long, you might trip on it. Hope that helps re: Popular

"You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you." - Maya Angelou

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#3re: Popular
Posted: 3/11/05 at 5:25pm

Yeah, I agree with Kimmy.

Have fun with it!! re: Popular

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

JadedBenevolence Profile Photo
JadedBenevolence
#4re: Popular
Posted: 3/11/05 at 6:38pm

Yeah, I agree too. Just have fun with it, and do your best. Break a leg. re: Popular

"He says... he wants to be obsessed with art, like me. He says... he wants to redevelop the creative side of his brain." - Mark NYTW RENT

~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
#5re: Popular
Posted: 3/11/05 at 8:03pm

That'll be a fun song to perform! Try going to a store like Deb to look for a pink dress (my friend Anna has purchased dresses there for as low as $1 on more than one occasion, and they're often very frilly-ish and pastel). Maybe you'll be able to find something pink and sorta fluffy, or maybe even a little tacky... If not, I think the green one would work.

Since you were talking about "choreography", you could always stick to over-exaggerated cheesy movements, as they kinda work with the song. Like on the line "I'll show you what shoes to wear", reference either your shoes, or her shoes, or shoes that she can change into. On "be good at sports", mime swinging a baseball bat or something like that.

Break a leg!

I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#6re: Popular
Posted: 3/11/05 at 8:06pm

How fun! Yeah what everyone else is saying about just having fun with it. Also, whatever your idea of happy, bubbly and bright is....increase it by about 100 times. :-P Just be really free with your movements and show tons of confidence and you'll be great. Don't be afraid to act as giddy as possible. :-P As for the green gown, yeah I just see it as Elphaba color but if the people in the audience don't know that then it shouldnt be a problem. Just make sure its something that you can move around really easily in. Hope that helps, good luck!
re: Popular
-Mika

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

Urban
#7re: Popular
Posted: 3/12/05 at 1:35am

I agree with ~FloweryFriend~ and it would be best to go to your local Thrift Shop (whether it be Vols of America, Salvation Army, Deseret Industries etc) and find a cheap and frilly pink dress. After all you proberly need to have a pink dress even if only for the line "black is this years pink".

Plus going a bit overboard with the frilly pink stuff would help your character by making her a little over the top.

broadwaybaby77 Profile Photo
broadwaybaby77
#8re: Popular
Posted: 3/12/05 at 11:20am

whoa....I know a girl in the middle school on campus who is singing "Popular" and it's also her first song by herself and it's her last year in middle school. Is your name Lizzy, perhaps? If so, this is Grace in 9th grade If not, good luck and act pompous!

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#9re: Popular
Posted: 3/12/05 at 11:30am

For it to work you need to be over the top and exaggarated. But you must be 100% comfortable in everything you do. If not, it'll show.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#10re: Popular
Posted: 3/12/05 at 11:53am

even if u get some long pink tulle & just make a simple skirt from it would help.

bwaybaby13
#11re: Popular
Posted: 3/13/05 at 9:12pm

OMG! Hi Grace! This is Lizzy!

Without Sondheim, when sensitive teenagers got depressed, they'd just kill themselves. 'this is wanting something, this is praying for it, this is holding back and keeping fingers crossed.'- light in the piazza 11.11.05

Dreamcatcher
#12re: Popular
Posted: 3/13/05 at 9:14pm

lol wow, small world! :-P Yes just go out to a local fabric store and whip up your own Glinda skirt. That way it'll fit the part and still be one of a kind and original.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

timote316
#13re: Popular
Posted: 3/13/05 at 9:19pm

Well, it doesn't HAVE to be a pink dress, thats just the convention.

Dreamcatcher
#14re: Popular
Posted: 3/13/05 at 9:21pm

yeah I know but it'd probably get the message across better and more clearly then anything else. Since people immediatly think of Pink when they think of Popular and Black or something when they think of Outcast even those who dont know the show Wicked will get the idea.

broadwaybaby77 Profile Photo
broadwaybaby77
#15re: Popular
Posted: 3/13/05 at 9:26pm

AH! LIZZY!

I hope Ramsey is treating you nicely. I think pink would be the best color, but for those unfamiliar with Wicked, it wouldn't really matter. Are you doing the ballgown thing? I cannot WAIT to see your choreography....or mine....or Stephanie's....anyway, congrats!! *Note to everyone* Singing a song by yourself is something rare at our school; only the most dedicated and talented people get to do it. There's been, what, three in the past 4 years? I forget.

Good luck, Lizzy!

- Grace, your somewhat-choreographer

p.s. My current assignments are "A Lovely Night", "Who Will Buy", "I Feel Pretty" and the "Sailing O'er Nations"....the one with Isaac, Libby and Peter

bwaybaby891
#16re: Popular
Posted: 3/13/05 at 10:58pm

I was in DEB recently looking for a dress for my semiformal at my school and were a number of dresses that would be very appropriate for Popular. If you have beauty supplies and shoes that you can put out behind you, they work wonders. If you need guidance, go to http://idinamenzel.net/sounds.htm and scroll down to tv appearances. There is the one from the Today Show. It is just for inspiration and to help with the choregraphy. Good Luck, I hope it turns out well!

"He who falls in love with himself will have no rivals" -Benjamin Franklin

Videos