Rigoletto

Bwaybaby109
#0Rigoletto
Posted: 3/27/05 at 10:15pm

Sorry about the double posting! I hate my computer!

I'm off on this movie to musical spree but has anyone seen the tv movie of "Rigoletto" that came out during the early 90's about the little girl who befriends a deformed man who teaches her to sing. It's a cross between BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and POTO, and that would be risky, but the story is just beautiful and the music is just amazing! I bought the coundtrack recently and I am in awe of it. I think it would be great, even tho it's similiar to 2 great musicals. I'd see it if it was adapted to the stage.

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"
Updated On: 3/27/05 at 10:15 PM

Bwaybaby109
#1re: Rigoletto
Posted: 3/27/05 at 10:23pm

again sorry about tthe double posting, use this one

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#2re: Rigoletto
Posted: 3/27/05 at 10:41pm

Hey Babe (Dumplin').....Anyhoo, LOL....I agree that Rigoletto could potentially be an amazing show. It's extremely close to POTO however, but there are pretty significant differences to the stories....Dang, now I wanna watch it again, LOL!

TTY Soon!

Phantom05

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"
Updated On: 3/27/05 at 10:41 PM

Bwaybaby109
#3re: Rigoletto
Posted: 3/27/05 at 10:49pm

holy crap! hey!

Bwaybaby109
#4re: Rigoletto
Posted: 3/27/05 at 10:50pm

holy crap! hey!

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#5re: Rigoletto
Posted: 3/27/05 at 10:53pm

Sorry I didn't mean to scare the crap out of ya, LOL....I've been out of town, but now I'm back! We'll talk, don't worry! But anyhoo, to stay on topic, I DO agree about Rigoletto!

See Ya!

Phantom05

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"

Bwaybaby109
#6re: Rigoletto
Posted: 3/27/05 at 10:58pm

on you didnt scare me, just glad to see ya! call me sometime!
Does anyone remember Joesph Paur as Rubaldi? He was amazing! I wonder if he has done anything else?

DestinyBeckoned Profile Photo
DestinyBeckoned
#7re: Rigoletto
Posted: 3/27/05 at 11:05pm

I saw Rigoletto in 7th grade English class, and I was really confused because I was sure it was ripping off Phantom. But I know I liked it.

HROK?

#8re: Rigoletto
Posted: 3/27/05 at 11:06pm

It was adapted for the stage, with music no less.

It's an opera by Verdi.

Bwaybaby109
#9re: Rigoletto
Posted: 3/27/05 at 11:55pm

well yeah there is an opera we know that but I want the tv version to be adapted. are the stories similar? i dont know much about the opera.

Bwaybaby109
#10re: Rigoletto
Posted: 3/28/05 at 8:31am

btw has Kurt Besor and Sam Cardon written anything else? they wrote the music to this movie.

leefowler
#11re: Rigoletto
Posted: 3/28/05 at 8:57am

<<>>

Actually, it IS an amazing show, with music by Verdi. Why do lovers of musical theatre make no attempt to learn about opera? There's incredible stuff out there, folks, and a lot of it is almost as good as Wicked or All Shook Up.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#12re: Rigoletto
Posted: 3/28/05 at 10:20am

in many cases, better lee........I was into operar long before I was into musicla theater

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Imchristine4real Profile Photo
Imchristine4real
#13re: Rigoletto
Posted: 3/31/05 at 12:32pm

I LOVED that movie when I was 12 or 13. Just because I like to sing and all, but I probably would have liked it anyway... it's just a great story. P.S. Those were my exact words(cross between B & B and Phantom)LOL!

As someone told me lately: "Ev'ryone deserves the chance to fly!"... He's there, the Phantom of the Opera!... I dreamed a dream in time gone bye... This is the moment! My final test!... PS. Couldn't choose just one :-)

Bluejay2 Profile Photo
Bluejay2
#14re: Rigoletto
Posted: 3/31/05 at 12:43pm

Hello, can I ask you the story of Rigoletto's movie? because I know the opera very well but I don't think it's similar to the Phantom of the opera and I'm curious, thanks

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#15re: Rigoletto
Posted: 4/2/05 at 6:16pm

I saw Rigoletto (when David "La Boheme" Miller was supposed to be in it, but dropped out) and don't remember ANY obvious Phantom parallels...but maybe that's just me and I was shocked at the Chuck Wagner-like Duke.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Bwaybaby109
#16re: Rigoletto
Posted: 4/2/05 at 9:05pm

In the movie version that came out in like 1993 on Hallmark, it's set in America during The Depression. It's set in this very small town where Bonnie, a young girl who can sing, and her mom and younger brother live. She always reads the book of Rigoletto, where it is explained in the story how this beautiful, sweet prince was cut by a poisonous sword, that not only made half of his face ugly, but also left his heart ugly. If someone learns to love him, the spell would be broken. (sounds like Beauty and the Beast!)

I won't go into too much detail bc u really have to see this movie. But a mysterious man named Rubaldi moves into the mansion and due to troubles between Bonnie's home and losing their property to Rubaldi, Bonnie agrees to work as his servant every afternoon so that her family can keep their home. She discovers that he is a music teacher so she takes lessons. Through those lessons, his heart begins to soften, and also, he begins to perform miracles to the people of the town in secret, including healing of children and helping families get medical treatment. Also he is training Bonnie to go to music competition...
Like I said I can't go into too much detail bc u have to see it but basic outline is girl is servant of a ugly man, takes lessons from him, and learns to love him, (not romantically because she's a young girl) but it's a beautiful movie with great music!

Johnnytoc
#17re: Rigoletto
Posted: 4/2/05 at 9:17pm

That's very different from the opera, if my memory serve me right.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#18re: Rigoletto
Posted: 4/3/05 at 3:48am

Ow, those are a LOT of liberties taken.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

phantom_tenor Profile Photo
phantom_tenor
#19re: Rigoletto
Posted: 4/3/05 at 8:52am

A lot different? Try COMPLETELY different.

The opera rules almost as much as anything Puccini ever wrote. Almost....

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#20re: Rigoletto
Posted: 4/3/05 at 10:43am

I saw this movie when I was in 3rd Grade and it was good and I last watched the movie when I was in the 11th grade.

Facebook...ME !!!

Bluejay2 Profile Photo
Bluejay2
#21re: Rigoletto
Posted: 4/9/05 at 1:55pm

Now I understand why I didn't find any similarities, Verdi's Rigoletto is the story of an hunkback (Rigoletto) who works in a palace, the duke of the palace has an affair with Rigoletto's daugther (Gilda). Rigoletto decides to kill the duke but Gilda decides to sacrifice herself to save the duke. It's totally different from the movie you were talking about. Maybe you know some of the opera music too, the most famous aria is "La donna è mobile"

Bwaybaby109
#22re: Rigoletto
Posted: 4/30/05 at 1:06am

that is quite different the only similiarities they both share is Rigoletto's ugliness. I heart the movie I am talking about, everyone should see it.

matthius202
#23re: Rigoletto
Posted: 4/30/05 at 1:11am

i love this film. i grew up watching it. :) ....and i don't believe it was made for television. it was made by a family-oriented film company :) but yes, i love it. the music box...great song :)

"Be not like dumb, driven cattle. Be a hero in the strife." A Psalm of Life...Walt Whitman

Bwaybaby109
#24re: Rigoletto
Posted: 4/30/05 at 1:16am

you mean The Melody? That is a great song! My fave song is The Curse...it's beautiful!

Videos